We embarked on the Plant-based, wholefood eating experience just over a month ago after watching "Forks over Knives" on DVD. We were carnivores with a weakness for Chinese takeaway.
I was a little concerned about 'what' we were going to eat but this cookbook answered all the questions and opened the door to a whole world of taste!
The recipes are well...
Published 16 months ago by helganog

3.0 out of 5 stars Forks over Knives
I was recommended this cookbook as a means to a healthier lifestyle, but I did not find the recipes that appetising, and some of the ingredients were hard to source in the UK
Published 17 months ago by MS C. A. Spensley

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, everyday ingredients and basic preparation methods. A fabulous introduction to Plant based eating, 8 Nov. 2013
The recipes are well written and clear, and easy to follow for a UK based reader. The emphasis is on using fruit, veg and wholegrains instead of meat substitutes and bought in sauces. I have found that a slow cooker is invaluable for preparing dried beans and also for cooking chillis, soups and curries. I'm buying a Vegan slowcooker recipe book next.
The biggest revelation has been the sauces - "No cheese" sauce = delicious. I thought I would be pining for cheese by now, but I'm not even missing it. Using tofu as a basis for sauces such as roasted red pepper and coriander is a brilliant "cheat".
There is plenty of information in this book for a beginner and loads of inspiration for seasoned plant-based cooks. If you are new to this way of eating..get this book. BUT be prepared to spend a lot of time preparing food as you are foregoing "convenience and fast food". It is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting new cookbook., 1 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Forks Over Knives-The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year (Kindle Edition)
For me this was definitely a five star cookbook. I enjoyed experimenting with the recipes and some of the many foods used in the recipes that I hadn't tried before.

The reviews I read for the book that criticised the fact that US measurements are used didn't worry me as I easily found a conversion chart. The same goes for the names of the foods. I haven't found any glaring errors in any of the recipes, but then I am the sort of cook who uses recipes as a guide only and tends to rely on my own taste testing as I go along.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful purchase once you have seen the DVD, 24 Mar. 2013
The original DVD should be a compulsory view for all humans on the planet. You will never look at food the same way again. Agricultural practices, food processing and the meat industry are conspiring in a perfect storm to shorten our lifespans through increased incidences of cancer, heart disease and the big and growing silent killer of diabetes. The link between these "western" diseases and "western" diet is irrefutable.
If you are really interested read "The China Study" but it is 600 pages. The Forks Over Knives DVD is 1.5 hours and tells you most of what you need to know.
This book will help you on your way to a better diet, a lot of good recipes using ingredients you shouldn't have much problem finding. Just don't expect to see a lot of meat in it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Sept. 2013
If you are looking at this book then you are probably starting or just started a journey into healthier living. Has lots of great recipe's, easy to follow - though it uses american measurements (1 cup, fl oz etc), but I am use to this and have learned what things are in grams and kg - but buying american measuring cups will help you out even quicker when your making your food.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forks over Knives, 11 Sept. 2013
MS C. A. Spensley "msds_admin" (Vale of Glamorgan) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Forks over Knives, 17 May 2013
An eye opener and I have been following the principles loosely for 4 weeks. I feel great and have lost 14 pounds already.

5.0 out of 5 stars creative, easy, delicious., 31 Dec. 2014
simple, delicious and healthy recipes. Try the banana cake recipe and marvel how you can make such deliciousness with no eggs of butter. Add chocolate chips if you feel too worthy with the recipe are written (I did).

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read if you care about your health, 27 Feb. 2013
This is a book that everyone should read if they are interested in living a healthy life.Its full of a wealth of great information plus great recipes highly recommended a must

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and healthy recipes, 29 Jan. 2014
Great cookbook that not only provides recipes to die for, but also informs you about basic recipes that form the base of many recipes within a healthy kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to any library, 17 July 2014
A lot of very easy and do-able recipes in here! have tried them and they taste great. No complicated and doesn't require huge amounts of obscure ingredients.