on 15 July 2012
I tend to choose novels over short stories, but Conan Doyle manages to pack so much in to these adventures that they hardly seem like short stories at all.
Though written over a century ago they are still easy to read, yet offer a charming insight into days gone by, when letters were posted and received on the same day, everyone wore hats, and transport along the roads was of the equine variety.
I feel like I should be reading these stories whilst toasting crumpets in front of an open fire.
on 4 September 2013
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes was a fascinating read with an interesting mix of adventures to discover. I also found my return to Doyle's well-loved sleuth rather comforting. I am enjoying reading the short story collections of Sherlock Holmes, as the shorter length of the stories means I can easily keep the thread of the mystery and fully enjoy all the twists and turns. This edition also has nice illustrations.
on 28 July 2012
I downloaded the kindle edition having never read any of the Sherlock Holmes stories before and I enjoyed reading them immensely.

The fluid writing style and the individual short stories are great at allowing you to dip in and out of the book whenever you have a few minutes spare as it doesn't take too long to read each one.

Most of the stories themsevles kept me intrigued and puzzled throughout the duration and it was only The Adventures of the Copper Beeches that seemed somewhat predictable in its solution.

The only real gripe I have with the Kindle edition is the formating problem mentioned by other reviews. It certainly didn't ruin my enjoyment of the book or the pace of the stories, by the end I had almost learnt to ignore it, however a mild irritant nevertheless.
on 5 December 2012
I downloaded this because it was free. I have never read a Sherlock Holmes book before, I've been missing out! I love this book immensely. Well written from the point of view of Watson, it tells the stories of his and Holmes cases over the years. I was laughing out loud whilst reading this book and kept quoting lines to my friend (who has now downloaded it herself.) I highly recommend this book to everyone who just wants something easy to read. Was sad when I finished it. The only thing, and it didn't really bother me, it's illustrated and some of the pictures didn't come out too well on my kindle. It didn't put me off the stories though.
on 6 December 2012
Well, of course the "adventures" are classics, and there are some formatting problems, but what sets this edition apart from others is the illustrations, by Sidney Paget, all 104 of them as they appeared in the original Stand editions. They do add style, as well as mood and authenticity, to the stories themselves. There are dozens of Holmes editions, both individual stories and collections, to choose from in both print and ebook versions, but this might be a good place to start form.
on 15 March 2013
As a mere student I feel that there is not much I can say that has not already been said.
This is a classic series of stories revolving around a legendary character written by an author with great skill, with the addition of scene-setting illustrations.
I would strongly recommend this book to anybody interested in Sherlock Holmes, passing (as I was when I purchased the book) or passionate or any with any love for the genres of crime and mystery.
on 19 July 2012
first download to the kindle, found it all very easy to do and thoroughly enjoyed reading Sherlock Holmes all over again. I had forgotten that this was a series of short stories and felt almost short-changed. However the stories were all great and I had a very enjoyable time following the convoluted thinking of the great Sherlock Holmes!
on 12 February 2014
This book comprises a wonderful series of short stories, with the intrigue and clever problems that one can expect from a Sherlock Holmes novel.

This book contains many illustrations which add considerably to the already well described characters and scenes.

A real must read for any Holmes novices and initiates.
on 7 January 2013
No introductions required, Sherlock's stories are perfect for picking up and putting down where you might have 20 mins free or there's plenty there to keep you entertained for many an hour or two. Try it, there's no harm in that and you may discover a collection of short stories with a difference...
on 6 March 2013
I absolutely love this book. As a ten year old I thought that I would have to delete it just after I got it. I thought wrong. I loved it. The first story I read it twice and then understood it. The pictures matched the description from the book and were beautifully drawn. Love it.