5.0 out of 5 stars Gentley Floating
Just read this book on my kindle. I was on a long haul flight. I really enjoyed the story - it was an easy read when I was ired and couldn't sleep. I just love George Gently and recommend this book.
Published on 20 Jun 2012 by F. E. Hindmarsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so keen on this one
I have enjoyed all the other Gently novels I've read but I found this one irritating. The style of writing is even more elliptical and allusive than usual and I found it difficult to work out what was going on at times. It could be that I read it in very small chunks but I found I just wanted to get to the end of it and move on to something else.

Gently is his...
Published on 29 April 2012 by Damaskcat

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentley Floating, 20 Jun 2012
This review is from: Gently Floating (The Inspector George Gently Case Files) (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so keen on this one, 29 April 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Gently is his normal self but the people he has to deal with over the murder of boatyard owner, Harry French, are just thoroughly unpleasant. Many of them threaten violence to Gently and hardly any of them are even polite to him. They all make it clear they don't want him there. Boatyard rivalries and personal quarrels give Gently plenty of possible suspects and he has a relatively hard time getting at the truth.

I enjoyed the descriptions of the Broads and the boats and I like Gently as a character but the book as a whole did not hold my attention like previous episodes have done. I shall persist with the rest of the series as I wonder whether it was just this book which didn't appeal to me but it's not one I would recommend to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars lacks bite and intrigue, 6 July 2014
Rob Kitchin - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Gently Floating is a quite traditional police procedural, with the thoughtful, even-tempered Superintendent George Gently interviewing and prodding a handful of suspects, whilst the local inspector jumps to conclusions and wants to resort to more forceful methods. There’s little in the way of melodrama, high tension, violence or action. Rather the story focuses on the investigation and the puzzle concerning the killer’s identity. Hunter makes sure that all the suspect have a plausible reason to want Harry French dead and keeps them all in the frame until the last few pages, though the puzzle is not too challenging. There’s a nice evocation of the Norfolk broads and the close knit community around the boatyard, though the characterisation is fairly light, with the focus more on plot and sense of place. Overall, an enjoyable enough tale, but lacks bite and intrigue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Always enjoy these, 22 May 2014
I find these Gently books a touch repetitive and quite old fashioned in their use of language but nevertheless they are good light reading when I have a few minutes spare. They are far less gritty than the TV series.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit long winded, 31 Oct 2013
Not the usual cannt put down gently novel. The story is stretched out by many paragraphs describing the scenery, such as the surrounding waves washing against the boats. Takes too long getting to the point and dealing with the real issues involving the murder. I found my self putting it down and reading somethying else to relieve my boredom. Still not finished it but will strive to get to the end if only for my love of Mr Gently.zzzzzzz.

4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than the tv series, 22 Sep 2013
I don't know why the tv series so messed up the story lines and characters. Alan Hunter's books are infinitely more enjoyable, harking back to an era just after the war. Well written

3.0 out of 5 stars QUICK DELIVERY, 6 Sep 2013
Arrived on time in very good condition. Very good value. but not my favourite Gently book I`m afraid, but others may consider it one of the best,

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 20 Aug 2013
Linda Smith "50s fan" (Bury, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
I like all George Gently books, particularly as they are set in the 50s/60s, my time. Since the TV series we now have a face in mind while reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 15 Mar 2013
After seeing several episodes of the TV series, with Martin Shaw in the title role, I thought I`d try the book version. I wasn`t disappointed. DCI George Gently in the book isn`t quite the Martin Shaw version, but none the less, it made entertaining reading, if not quite edge-of-seat stuff. But it held my interest to the last page. The author hailed from Norfolk, where among the Broads, the storyline is set. It won`t be the last of the series that I shall read, and with a further 45 G.G. tales still to go, I could find myself becoming hooked!
For all buffs of British crime thrillers, well worth a punt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gently Floating, 10 Mar 2013
I have been a fan of Alan Hunter since reading one of his hard back original books on a wet day while on holiday in Scotland some years ago. Gently Floating is written in his usual style and brings back memories of a bygone era