5.0 out of 5 stars Trust me, I know these things.
I only came onto Amazon to add this to my wish list, but when I saw the other reviews, I had to defend this little gem.

As part of research for work and because my sister is studying film making at uni, we watch a LOT of films. I'm talking hundreds per year. Literally.
Published 16 months ago by Ravenspike

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly Dreadful!
The Asylum Tapes (Greystone Park US) is really just an excuse for Oliver Stone and son to indulge themselves and play "Spot the Illuminati Symbolism on the walls" with the conspiracy theorist who may be watching. Hell the ending even has a scene with Sean Stone playing the part of the classic image of a "Man in Black" complete with black trench-coat and Homburg hat...
Published 22 months ago by Darrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust me, I know these things., 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Asylum Tapes [DVD] (DVD)

And since we both love a good horror movie, we watch a vast array of them. Sadly, not all of them are good. In fact, the large portion of them are dire.
This one, is different.

Firstly, dont confuse this film with The Tapes, which is mind numbingly bad. But if you're looking for a film about some people visiting an abandoned asylum, and there are plenty out there, this one is one of the best I've seen. Its not a get some popcorn and do your nails and talk through kind of film, its a put the lights out, sit down and watch everything, kind of film.

The storyline is nothing new. 3 young people go and explore an old insane asylum and take their video cameras with them.
But if you're paying attention at the beginning, you soon realise that there is something much more subtle going on than just a simple slasher film.
I don't want to say more, because the plot is there to be discovered.

Suffice to say, if you want lots of gore and screaming, keep on walking, but if you're looking for something a little more interesting, you cant go far wrong.
And as I say, I watch a truck load of horror movies and maybe one in fifty get on my wish list.

Enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly Dreadful!, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: Asylum Tapes [DVD] (DVD)
The Asylum Tapes (Greystone Park US) is really just an excuse for Oliver Stone and son to indulge themselves and play "Spot the Illuminati Symbolism on the walls" with the conspiracy theorist who may be watching. Hell the ending even has a scene with Sean Stone playing the part of the classic image of a "Man in Black" complete with black trench-coat and Homburg hat!

Despite this being a relatively short film it took me over three hours to get through due to the severe attacks of motion sickness as the "Camera Work" is literally none stop spinning and thrashing about with a hand held camera. Some of you will remember the warnings in cinemas regarding motion sickness with Cloverfield - well this is much MUCH worse.

I can lay out the plot of this film as follows - Find an old derelict building and draw random Illuminati symbols all over the place. Having done that take ONE hand held camera and thrash it around corridors continually while screaming....erm.....something or other.
Then make two endings and chose the worse one to end the film with while putting the one that makes even a little bit of sense in as a Deleted Scene extra.

Sorry people but this film is literally unwatchable but no doubt it will sell because Oliver Stone and Son are in it - all the Emperors New Clothes psychology I suppose.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a load of tripe...Scooby doo is scarier., 7 Sep 2012
A. Brown "Ant Brown" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asylum Tapes [DVD] (DVD)
I think the reviewer who gave 5 stars were either in this film or a family member was because what a load of rubbish. It took a good 40mins to even get inside the asylum. The camera shots were terrible and most of the time you could barely see what was going on. Hanging dolls heads, a few doors slamming shut, the odd silhouette of a person floating around...woopie doo. Is that supposed to be scary. Its a shockingly bad film. Trust me, don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars How bad can one film be?, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Asylum Tapes [DVD] (DVD)
Now I love cheap horror. I watch the horror channel most nights and I own hundreds (literally) of cheap horror films, some good and some not so good, but the Asylum Tapes has to be the biggest piece of rubbish I have ever seen. This film is without doubt the worst of the worst of the worst. I would not even use the disk as a coaster in case one of my friends saw it. There are no words I could say that can adequately describe how bad this film is. Every copy should be loaded into a rocket along with any scripts and cinema rolls and fired into the sun, and if nobody remembers it or speaks of it again there will be no loss to cinema, literature or the world.
The acting is appalling, the cinematography is appalling, the story is appalling. In fact this film has no redeeming qualities apart from when "The end" comes up. Some films are so bad they are good, this isn't one of them.
I can sum this film up in three words AVOID, AVOID, AVOID. I know technically that is one word but it is such a good point I felt I had to make it three times.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was this even a film, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Asylum Tapes [DVD] (DVD)
I must admit I am starting to lose all faith in these sort of films. The blair witch project essentially created this type of "low budget camera holding suspense filled horror" but now the genre is scattered with dross like this.

With all low budget films your not expecting the world but surely a decent script can be written and people that can actually act get hired. The biggest problem with this film is that its so poorly directed and nothing much happens. You hear a noise, the camera shakes, it goes dark and your not even sure what your even supposed to be scared of. I totally understand subtle horror plays on the mind but you need some subtance not just random screams in the dark.

All in all boring and another wasted night of my life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap movie, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Asylum Tapes [DVD] (DVD)
I got from hmv not amazon but i got 2 words for this movie, crap movie.. Its just grave encounters wanna be hit...no horror parts it looks fake and i wasted 80 minits of my life to watch this crap movie seriously dont waste your 80 minits unless you have notthing ellse to do, poor movie....i give it 1 star because of cover it looks scary but when you watch it its a joke....

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Asylum Tapes [DVD] (DVD)
As far as asylum films go this is actually okay. For a few quid it's worth buying. It has some really scary parts and actually has some original parts in the plot. Yeah, it's worth watching.

2.0 out of 5 stars SHADOW MEN, 17 April 2014
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asylum Tapes [DVD] (DVD)
This film is the "teens explore an abandoned mental institution" coupled with the hand held found footage genre. The first three chapters of the film is talking about ghosts over the family water pipe, along with a history of mental institution torture with the same lame historical black and white film plus a little Greek Mythology.

Chapter 4 (in case you want to skip all that stuff and miss the mild character build up) starts the meat of the film as our threesome enter Greystone and start filming in a most annoying fashion. U-tube videos of people making love in a small row boat during a storm while tossing their camera into the air does not have as much jerking motion as this filming. When you add the fact of the lights flashing on and off, it is a wonder that you can make it through it without developing some weird epileptic motion sickness.

Sean "Shaky" Stone is the main character. He is accompanied by Antonella Lentini and Alexander "Shakes" Wraith. The film is a clever descent into madness either through the power of suggestion of something supernatural. Unfortunately they chose a genre that ruined any script genius. Lights going out. People screaming. Shadows, quick movements. These cheap effects have all been done before and better.

Parental Guidance: F-bombs, no sex or nudity.

2.0 out of 5 stars Asylum Tapes, 3 Feb 2014
Miss K. Penfold "catcrazy" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asylum Tapes [DVD] (DVD)
when I read the description of this film I expected it to be really good, scary and jumpy, but it was none of those, its the same as every film going into an empty asylum but this film was worse than others

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultra-creepy and suspenseful, 12 April 2013
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Asylum Tapes [DVD] (DVD)
I can see where some people might not like this movie or look down from their pretentious heights at its lack of clarity - but boring? Boring? Good grief, this is one of the most creepy and atmospheric horror films I've seen in quite a while - and this ain't my first horror rodeo. The Asylum Tapes (released as Greystone Park in the US) actually succeeds where other low-budget "let's explore a haunted house" films drop the ball. There's wonderfully subtle imagery, especially early on as dark shadows or amorphous faces briefly appear in flashes and transitions that only the camera reveals. As things progress, everything intensifies, including the sights and sounds the characters do detect. Sometimes, you don't see or understand what they are reacting to, and that only intensifies the deliciously creepy atmosphere oozing to life on the screen. Even the sudden frights designed to really scare the audience work well. Perhaps the best thing about the viewing experience, though, is the fact that much is left up to the audience's imaginations. It's not always clear what the heck is going on, and even the characters are sometimes left wondering if it's all in their minds. More than once, I stopped and rewatched a certain sequence to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. Maybe this aspect of the film is what turns some viewers off, having been programmed by Hollywood to think that horror movies are supposed to be incredibly obvious, paint-by-numbers constructions that require no thought whatsoever.

So what goes on here? Two college students, Sean Stone (son of Oliver Stone) and Antonella Lentini, meet Alexander Wraith at a dinner party (hosted by Oliver Stone) and decide to accompany him on one of his adventures inside the abandoned and reportedly haunted Greystone Park mental asylum. Sean's a skeptic going to face his fears, while Antonella is basically one of those girls with a sexy dark side. Cameras and flashlights in hand, they sneak their way into the vast building and begin exploring. The atmosphere of the vast, dilapidated building could not be creepier, with more than a few eerie dolls scattered here and there alongside the abandoned hospital equipment just for good measure. Even as they begin to see shadows and hear unexplained noises, Alex leads them deeper and deeper into the jungle of rooms and hallways. By the time the more serious stuff starts to go down, finding their way back out of the place is problematic, to say the least. An ambiguous ending isn't really the ultimate payoff I was expecting, but it certainly takes nothing away from all of the wonderful creepiness that preceded it.

Let's talk about the "inspired by true events" label. It's only real in the sense that the filmmakers decided to make their haunted asylum movie by picking up cameras and shooting the film in an actual haunted asylum - which is something they had already been doing on their own. That includes breaking in to Greystone and some other haunted locations on multiple occasions. Obviously, some CGI effects were added later, but I think the film locations could have held their own quite well without any additions. The filmmakers definitely bought in to the reputation of the place. From what I've read, the commentary features several reports of strange things - even brief possessions - experienced by the crew during filming as well as some unwelcome visitors back at their own homes.

I'm totally at a loss as to the overwhelmingly negative reaction to this film, as this horror veteran was very impressed. I actually think The Asylum Tapes breathes vibrant new life into the "found footage" genre (I don't think this film technically belongs in that category, but I know that is how it will be classified). Some viewers complain that they couldn't tell where the characters were at times. Really? What part of "getting lost in the labyrinthine depths of a haunted insane asylum" don't you understand? If the characters knew where they were, they would have gotten the heck out of that place. Getting lost is the whole point. Come on, people. Those who complain the movie was literally too dark to see what was happening need to turn the fricking lights off - that's the way you're supposed to watch horror movies to begin with.

Asylum Tapes [DVD]
Asylum Tapes [DVD] by Sean Stone (DVD - 2012)
4.01