Format: DVD|Change

on 31 January 2013
This show dates back to 1996, but it is a GEM! Steve Coogan is so underrated as a comic - this is a masterful piece of entertainment. Done exactly as the shows I remember growing up with - Val Doonican, Morecombe and Wise - Saturday night entertainment of the 70s. Plus Steve C. can actually sing and his songs are catchy with phenomenal lyrics. I particularly like the one about Stuttering Sadie from Stuttgart!

It was such a good program, I found myself playing it all over again once I'd watched it. Just brilliant, and interestly enough, the choreography was done by Bruno Tonioli of Strictly fame.

Don't even think about it - just buy it.
on 1 August 2013
Hilarious. I love Coogan and this character is so finely honed and perfected.

The songs are as good as any on the West End musicals and Coogan has a great voice.
The collaborations with the likes of Kim Wilde ("Short Term Affair", so funny - "the memory still lingers, you cooking the kids fish fingers, and ironing") and Gary bleedin' Wilmott (Fishing for Girls) are ace, too. There's a really funny song about Hannibal Lekter too "Golly what a hungry fella, Hannibal's eaten human flesh!". Haha!! Smiling just thinking about it.

Definitely as good a character as Alan Partridge. I would love to see more from Tony Ferrino.

If you like Alan Partridge, just get this. I had the CD too, but it got lost in transit years ago and has since been deleted, I think :-(
on 23 May 2012
This is Steve Coogan at his very best. We had to buy the whole box set of Coogan stuff just to get at this. Now its out as a stand alone piece at last.
If you remember Staurday night TV in the 70's and 80's you will love this. It a fab send up of the Val Doonican/Engleburt Humperdink shows of that time with great song lyrics and guest stars including Mick Hucknall(Simply Mick)!
on 28 February 2001
Taxis, Fishing, Au Pairs, Bigamy, Silverware, Mick Hucknell, Kim Wilde......you'll never be able to look at them in the same light again......Genius
on 21 March 2013
people keep referring to Steve Coogan as is he is this generations Peter Sellers and they might have a point. The way he inhabits his roles, whether it be Paul and Pauline Calf, Alan Partridge or Tommy Saxondale and not forgetting The Phenomenom! Tony Ferrino he IS those people and just because it's comedy doesn't make it any less brilliant. comedy is by far much harder to pull off than serious acting, but he can do it, which is probably why he is doing more serious work now, it would obviously be very natural to him. Tony Ferrino shows off Coogan's great singing voice, who knew! but it's obvious every song and dance number has been meticulously rehearsed so it would look so natural and easy to him. you will be singing these songs long after you've finished watching this DVD believe me!!
on 4 July 2014
I doubt I'll get too many 'helpful review' points, but all I have to say about this DVD is 'genius'. Shame Coogan didn't do lore with this character, as I think he's one of his best!
on 3 February 2013
One of the nice things about Steve Coogan's critical and commercial success over the past 20 years or so is that even his flops can find their way to DVD. 'The Tony Ferrino Phenomenon' is one of those - an attempt to break away from the likes of Alan Partridge and Paul Calf, with a character who's clearly inspired by old school singers of the Tom Jones / Englebert Humperdinck stable. 'Phenomenon' is a well-observed spoof of singer-led light entertainment shows of the 60s and 70s, and whilst Ferrino didn't really take off as a character, it's by no means a disappointment. There's a lot to enjoy here, and it's a shame the character didn't have much of a life beyond this (his appearance in Coogan's live show 'The Man Who Thinks He's It' notwithstanding). If you haven't seen it, or have only dim memories of it, give it a try - it's better than popular opinion would have you believe.
on 22 May 2016
I love Coogans Tony Ferrino. The songs are great work clever lyrics.

I paid for the digital version of this through Amazon and found that it's a cut down version of the tv/dvd release and is missing a song or 2.

Very disappointed.
on 6 April 2006
this is probably the most funniest video i have watched. steve coogan is a ledgend for just thinking of tony ferrino. it has everything from new unseen comedy to the hint of alan P. seriously if you like steve coogan you must buy this video. I love It
on 29 November 2013
This has been bought as a present so I cnanot review it but I know it will be funny as I have seen T Ferrino LIVE!!! It will be a hoot - how can it not?