on 13 August 2013
Some years ago I wrote the following review for the first edition of Velvet Elvis. I recently read it again (this time on Kindle) and stand by what I said - this book still moves me. Rob Bell now needs little introduction and, despite his critics, continues to inspire disciples of Jesus around the world.

In Velvet Elvis, Rob Bell frees us to consider God beyond the picture someone else painted for us in order to find an authentic understanding of the Christian faith. God doesn't have boundaries, and faith doesn't have to be limited to what someone else has told us. God is alive. Faith is alive. Velvet Elvis helps us to find (or re-find) our faith. It encourages us to keep looking and living and learning - to keep on repainting the Christian faith.

Rob Bell is the founding pastor of Mars Hill, which has been described as one of the fastest growing churches in American history. Despite that, I really like this book!

Velvet Elvis is a breath of fresh air. I would particularly recommend it to church leaders, and not just because it is a mine of good illustrations for your next sermons! This is the sort of book that reminds you why you ever started this journey of faith in the first place, and should inspire you to keep on journeying with the real Jesus in the real world.
55 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2014
I chose this rating because Rob Bell manages to confirm all the essence and truth of Christianity and also to broaden our vision of Gods plan, purpose and vision for His world. There is an awesome element of the divisions that separate those with differing theological stance, the walls just crumbling away, due to their insignificance in the light of God's vast eternal plan, both universal and personal to each and every one of humankind.

An author whom I am blessed to say, has not kept silent, and I recommend all his other books.

I would recommend this book especially to those who ditched their tenuous belief in Christianity when they were young, and take another look in their more mature years, at least 18!!
on 1 December 2012
If you want to get a new take on what Christianity is, this is a good book to read. It's not wrong to ask questions even when you are already a Christian.
on 4 September 2013
The writer makes you really think about your faith and puts a few different thoughts that allow you to explore that faith.
on 14 October 2013
Rob Bell is an outstanding communicator and Velvet Elvis is his original masterpiece. Fresh, surprising, joyful and personal, it is an inspiration to those who sense there is a loving God out there somewhere but who can't get past the boring old stereotypes of Christianity.
on 6 March 2015
This was purchased to replace a friend's copy which, unbelievably unless you know her, our collie puppy ate! Without casting any aspersions this is not a book I would read and so I cannot in any good "faith" give it a low star rating.
on 20 February 2015
Challenges those traditional beliefs and drives you to the scriptures for supporting evidence. Won't be to everyone taste but I enjoyed the challenge even if I didn't go along with all that was written.
on 8 July 2014
This is a fantastic book for those people who want to have their faith challenged and really think about things in the context in which they were written. I would thoroughly recommend it.
on 20 February 2016
This is a must read for anyone who is really serious about the true nature of Christian Faith. I also have Rob Bell's Love Wins which is equally refreshing and challenging.
on 17 March 2014
I loved this book and the way Rob explains his views on being a Christian. God is among us always and I'm sure God would rejoice in the message Rob is sharing.