5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product
Bought these to get an internet connection to my AV kit, what can i say, plugged them in and they worked no settings to change or security to worry about. I player and streaming working perfectly, with no hassle dragging cat 5 around the house or worrying about wifi signal strength. Excellent delivery service as usual from amazon and for not much money.
Published on 29 Aug 2012 by Mr. M. Hollis

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for ADSL2+ and slower connections; fibre, not so much.
I've been using these since 15 January 2013 according to the Amazon delivery date, and have been very impressed with them until we got fibre last month. Don't get me wrong, they are a great substitute for devices with poor quality wifi chipsets (like the PS3 for example), but once you get fibre you will likely discover that you are not getting the full internet...
Published 2 months ago by LJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 29 Aug 2012
Mr. M. Hollis (Cullompton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear XAVB1301-100UKS 200 Mbps Mini Powerline Twin Pack Ethernet Adapter (Accessory)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent buy, 9 Mar 2013
these netgear adapters are brilliant for my purpose. needed to make a stable, wired connection for my Xbox so that could play multiplayer games without the trailing wires. These worked perfectly straight out of the box, * you must make sure that your sockets which you wish to use the powerline adapters in are NOT protected by RCD (residual current device) or this will interrupt the transfer of data or they will not connect at all. This is true of all powerline adapaters, they only work in non rcd protected sockets. Netgears are far more simple and intuitive to set up than any of the other previous ones i had purchased, which came with resource cds and drivers installed on my pc, etc, etc, and then they still didnt work and were more expensive. These do not run hot at all even when switched on and in use for a long, long time. They provide a responsive, fast and completely stable connection (so they completely outperform wireless connectivity in my house) and shut off into standby mode after just a few minutes of inactivity from the connected device and initiate again instantly when the connected device (my xbox in this case) turns on. I have had these for about 3 months now and they have not let me down in any way once and they are used relatively heavily. Recommend these highly, good value, prompt delivery, ridiculously simple set up and faultless performance thus far. That is not my experience of any other makes of powerline adapters so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only solution to get PS3, BBC iplayer and lovefilm going., 22 April 2013
Hi, currently using BT Infinity fiber optic broadband wireless router. Unit is located in my office on the second floor. Wireless connection for laptops anywhere in the house works fine but my son has not been able to play PS3 online games due to very poor or intermittent wireless signal. The playstation is located in the lounge on the first floor, some 20-25m away from router. Same with BBC iplayer and Lovefilm - not able to watch these due to not enough signal strength and speed. Spoke to BT they recommended a wirelss extender after switching between the different wireless channels on the router (found the best one but it was not good enough). We also see four different wireless routers in the local area so it can be possible interference (noice) from these.

First attempt.Bought TP-Link TL-WA830RE 300 Mbps wireless extender. Compared speed on PS3 with and wo the extender.
Wireless download speed from failed, 400Kbps, 900Kbps up to 7Mbps, upload speed was from failed, 156Kbps up to 4Mbps. Most common speed was around 500Kbps-700Kbps this was with and without the wireless extender on. Did not notice a difference when extender unit was switched off. Unit been returned to amazon.

Second attempt, bought the TP-Link PA411 kit AV500 Mbps with LAN connection. Connected as per instruction received download speed: 950Kbps and upload spedd: 175Kbps. Tried different electrical sockets. Never got this working could be due to two different electrical circuits. Circuit in office is different from the circuit in the lounge. Unit been returned to amazon.

Third and final attempt. Bought the Netgear Powerline 200 Mini (product no: XAB1301-100UKS)with LAN connection. Easy to connect and units need to be directly connected into an electrical socket no extension leads (failed with extension leads). Download speed: 15.3Mbps - 17.7Mbps and upload speed 1.2Mbps - 4.8Mbps. PS3 works fine, BBC iplayer is now up and running , we still have not tried to download a love film but after three weeks everything is working as it should. We recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 July 2012
Did exactly what I wanted it to, despite reservations because I am using one in an extended part of the house. All the wiring uses the same service box (fuse box)but not on the same circuit breaker and it works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars How refreshing - it works from the word go., 20 July 2012
Mr. B. R. Good (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was slightly sceptical because i've been burned by similar devices in the past (items that claim to be plug and play, but take hours, messing about with codes and passwords to actually set up). Not this.

Here is my experience in an easy to read format:

1) Opened box. Inside are the 2 ethernet powerline adaptors, 2 fairly long ethernet cables and a basic manual.
2) Plug in adaptor #1 to wall socket and then attach ethernet cable from router to THIS device.
3) Wait for lights to indicate all is well. (the booklet tells you what to look for)
3) Go to another room. (2 floors away in this case)
4) Plug adaptor #2 into wall socket. Attach ethernet cable from adaptor to PC.
5) Close my browser (mine happened to be open). Wait for slights on adaptor to indicate all is well.
6) Open browser. Connected!

I am not familiar with the various technical terms for data speeds but I can say this: 2 floors away, a mass of concrete walls in between, many electrical devices already active, the speed was good enough to stream radio, youtube, movies etc.

I believe there is a push button procedure to ensure that the connection is secure. I really don't know if this is necessary if your router is already secure but I have tried this feature and I *think* it worked. You have 2 mins to press the button on #1, walk to #2 and press button.

I can't recommend this highly enough. You need this in your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars I like gear that works straight out the box, 1 Jan 2013
Plug them into the mains, plug one into a router and the other gives you router access, its as simple as that.

No messing, no "updating to latest version" before use.

Great range, I live in an older property and have pushed my broadband over the mains into some outbuildings that are a good 25 metres from my router.

If only everything worked as well as these.

I need to find out if I can simply add more (than the original two) to the same network, if the answer is yes I will buy more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Did just what I wanted, 24 Oct 2013
hugo (British Isles) - See all my reviews
In common with some people buying this product I recently purchased an (LG) Smart TV capable of connecting directly to the internet. However the TV's required location was in a WiFi dead spot. I was faced with two possible solutions, 1. extend the WiFi network or 2. use these ethernet adapters and connect the TV directly to the router.

Reading around it seems that internet TV is quite bandwidth hungry and as we only get max 5mbps of broadband service it was important that I got as much of that to the TV as possible. I therefore opted for these as they promised to get more bandwidth to the TV than WiFi.

When they arrived I plugged them both in via extension leads, with one of those a Belkin SurgeMaster (despite the instruction book suggesting it would not work) pressed the button on the one next to the router, walked to the one near the TV, pressed the button and we were away. It could not have been easier. The TV found the signal itself & I was watching BBC iPlayer within 5 mins.

Yes, although the two units are plugged into different ring main electrical circuits, both these circuits pass through the same consumer unit / distribution board / fuse box. If this had not been the case then it would not have worked as the signal cannot jump between two different consumer units that are not electrically connected together. They've been working for a couple of weeks so far with no issues at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works...., 1 Oct 2012
I was a little concerned that the two Netgear Powerline boxes would be connected to different electircal ring mains and wondered if this might cause problems. Not a bit of it. Set up was very simple "plug and play" and the longest part of the process was the walk from the house to my garden office. Connection speeds are far better than on wi-fi. It just works! Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible., 25 Oct 2013
I have awarded four stars because the product probably does work in an electrical distribution system that's compatible with these devices. 230+ reviews would indicate that is the case.
My router location and the sockets location to which these were to be connected cannot easily be changed, both on the ground floor and for some reason the units didn't communicate. The devices were both plugged directly into socket outlets, one next to the router, the other near the p.c.
I wasn't too impressed with the included set up instructions. It only showed how to connect but not what to do once physically connected to their respective equipment.
Unfortunately returned for refund and a Netgear wireless extender ordered instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bit of kit. Improved my installation 100% and so cheap and easy., 29 Sep 2014
Netgear Powerline 200.

Although I paid Amazon extra for fast delivery and ordered in the morning they dispatched the following day and it took 5 days to reach me. Grumble over.

The units are very compact and lightweight and so very simple to set up. I found the diagrammatic instructions difficult and also lacking detail but found much better ones in these reviews. Instructions are hardly needed, as it is just too easy but I like to be careful with the unfamiliar. Installation actually takes under 2 minutes and has to, to comply with the security set up, so you need to be organised first.

My need was because my building has foil backed wall linings and Wi-Fi will not even reach the next room. So this powerline system was the perfect answer. I needed to feed two rooms well away from my master socket, so I had to buy two kits and now have a spare unit. My internet provider suggested this idea to me but wanted £130 for the kit, which include Wi-Fi which I did not require. So I have saved about £100. My download speed is now up from an average of around 3Mbs to an average around 6Mbs . on both computers. I wish I had fitted this years ago.

DATA SPEED: It is not the function of this system to boost your speed but it results in an increase if your previous circuit shared with the landline and was full of filters and connections as mine was.

EXTENSION LEADS. I note some saying these will not work with extension leads. All three of the units I am using are ON extension leads with multiple outlets in use. The one on my computer is plugged into a 5 gang extension lead which itself is plugged into a 15 metre Jo Jo extension reel. I can only think that the problem occurs with filtered or anti surge extensions.

I chose Netgear because I have used one of their modems for years with no problems. I hope this is as reliable.