Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 June 2012
Because it sounds more mature and more rocky, I think it is probably their best album to date. I've liked all the other albums, and rated them all pretty highly. I think the Mystery Jets have been on an unscripted journey, thus the variation of style and content on all four albums. I just like the substance and sound this album has - the Texas influence, while making up the story within the album in a clever way, is actually pretty subtle and thankfully the MJ have not turned into the Eagles or suchlike. I think their experience over there has helped because the guitar sound is more adventurous and confident, something I've been hoping they would do. But added to this is confidence in the singing, lyrics, melodies everything really. Well done guys, and by the way really enjoyed the Brixton gig, top class!
on 13 May 2012
Now I'm not one to get angry at fellow reviewers on here, as I know some do. However, the BreakingMusic review - 'could this be the last we see of Mystery Jets? is it over?' - ...I'm sorry!? DID YOU LISTEN TO THIS? No one who can record You Had Me At Hello (soulful, breezy, reminiscent of Young Love in its confidence) or The Hale Bop (practically The Bee Gees) can split or end it all now. What a ridiculous statement. They are breezy and fantisiful as ever.

And yes, the album is excellent. It strolls through the first few, ebbing and flowing from haunting love song to confident indie rock hit. The Ballad of Emmerson Lonestar is a touching moment early on, as is the title track. Serotonin, their most assured LP, had an air of claustrophobia about it, whereas Radlands knows what it is producing and what it is saying.

The album's centerpiece are the back-to-back Sister Everett and Lost In Austin. Both more rock numbers on the album, the touching choir on the end of the first leads well into the anthemic choruses on the second, and create a double-feature like a soundscape. Brilliant stuff. The closer, Luminescense, is a beautifully written track too, acoustic in form yet sometime sthe strongest numbers on this album are the stripped down ones. My one minor criticism of Radlands is sometimes it doesn't know how to end a track, yet repeating the bridge/solo part. This occurs on Someone Purer, Luminescence and Greatest Hits. This is fine when it works, but it drags out after a while on the album. This does not hinder what is a great 4th album from Mystery Jets, a grower for sure, and possibly their best yet.
on 21 May 2012
Where I do not believe it is as good as Serotonin (at least at present), this latest addition to the Mystery Jets is quite good.

I noticed alot of chill out songs mixed in with their usual indie dance numbers. These were very good and despite recording the songs in the USA, it still feels VERY British indeed. Overal it is an impressed record.

My most enjoyed tracks have been 'Radlands', 'Someone Purer', 'Sister Everett' and 'Take Me Where the Roses Grow' which is an excellent duet between Sophie-Rose and William Rees.
on 21 May 2012
What can I say? I really like the Mystery Jets, they have a knack of pumping out really catchy power pop tunes and they are onto a sure fire winner with this, singles packed opus. I especially love Greatest Hits, about splitting up your joint record collection with an ex - "You can take The Lexicon of Love away but, I'm keeping Remain in Light, you can keep It's Shame About Ray but, I'm holding on to Country Life..........These were our Greatest Hits, the Best of Me and You. Top
on 26 July 2012
I absolutely love the Mystery Jets but was initially disappointed with this album. I persevered and kept listening and it has grown on me massively. Now I think it has all the hallmarks of their previous stuff - epic vocals and multiple layers to every song. I get more out of it with every listen. I still wouldn't put it above their previous albums but it isn't too much below either. I look forward to seeing where they go with the next album.
on 27 August 2012
Another great Album from mystery Jets!
Although there sound has diverted on this record! they have experimented with a kind of American 70's folk rock! & have pulled it off again.
In my opinion they go from strength to strength! & it seems there really enjoying themselves on this record.
I would highly recommend this Album! i bought it on vinyl' sounds fantastic With quality gatefold cover.

Jono
on 23 January 2014
This item was purchased as a present. After placing the order I was informed that the item had been despatched and arrived well packed before the designated delivery date. I would have no hesitation in recommending this distributer.
on 17 May 2012
Love this album, which has some really amazing tracks - Someone Purer, the Nothing and Luminescense stand out for me. Sounds like a classic album, rousing, beautiful and touching.
on 8 December 2012
YET ANOTHER MASTER CD FROM THE JETS, THEY JUST GET BETTER AND BETTER, WOULD LOVE THEM TO MAKE A BIG IMPACT ON POPULAR RADIO IN 2013. GREAT SERVICE AS WELL WITH DELIVERY
on 12 January 2014
This is the most beautiful album that was released in the last 20 years. It is a must for everybody who enjoys good songwriting.