5.0 out of 5 stars Picture is great but these settings make it even better!!!
Published 16 months ago by Andy O'Boogie

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV but expected a little more from LG
Just bought this off Amazon a week ago.
After reading many reviews and seeing that some buyers had had issues with ghosting, clouding and banding on the images [...] I went for it anyway putting it down to bad luck or incorrect settings. A recent Firmware update seems to have fixed it all for some.

After opening the box I was initially impressed with the...
Published 23 months ago by A. Macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture is great but these settings make it even better!!!, 14 Dec 2012
Andy O'Boogie (Widnes, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I had looked at 3D in shops but I can't say I had been particularly impressed until this week when I saw my first demonstration of passive 3D on an LG TV. Some people consider 'active' 3D the way to go. In the past I believe the picture quality could have been better with 'active'. After reading several reviews of the 2012 versions of LG tv's it sounds like passive 3D is now just as good. It is certainly cheaper for the glasses and they are lighter (no battery) so much more comfortable. This mid range model comes with 4 pairs plus clip ons for my glasses. I use sky and the hd and 3d pictures are great. There is a free 3d channel for sky subscribers which is a good starting point when you first get the tv. I had recorded some stuff the day before ready for when the tv arrived. You have to ask sky to turn it on (online or by phone). Then when you start watching it don't forget to press the 3D button on your remote (or it doesn't work properly as I found out!). I already had a sony 3d blu ray surround sound and the picture from that is out of this world. First film was Men In Black 3 in 3d.....simply amazing!!! Picture quality out of the box for this tv is very good. I did search around a bit on the internet and found the following settings which improved the picture quality to excellent for me.

energy saving:off
color temp:warm
gamma:2.2
method:2 Point IRE
Pattern:OUTER

color management system white balance

color tint luminance
red 1 5 2
green 3 6 0
blue -10 -8 2
yellow -2 -1 0
cyan 3 8 1
magenta -3 0 0

I am not interested in gaming or using the tv as a computer so sorry I can't comment on that. It is worth hooking the tv up to the internet because I have already had two updates since I received it two days ago. Can't wait to receive all the 3D blu rays I have asked santa for!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV... Cool 3D, 31 July 2012
It was time for a new TV and I did a lot of research before buying this one. I try where possible to buy the latest Tec when making a purchase like this so that it does not date too fast, this has always paid dividends with things like computers etc. The latest Tec can be a bit more costly but the cheaper product can often mean it's already out of date. I was a bit sceptical about the 3D but wanted a smart TV and the 3D is a feature of this TV.
It was pretty easy to set up straight out of the box and the picture good after a bit of getting used to the settings etc, it's not rocket science or I would not be able to do it. The control feels pretty intuitive and logical actually, quite like a smart phone.
I bought a 3D nature film, the choice available is limited and they are expensive at the moment but again I expect this to change when these TVs become more common. I put it on the new LG blue ray DVD player I also bought with the TV expecting a mediocre experience...how wrong can one person be!! The 3D on this set is fabulous I have not seen the depth of 3D and the 'stand out' effect since I was in Orlando at Disney, the 3D was the last reason I bought this TV but it is it's most amazing feature, and there are plenty of other really good features too.
I did not plan to buy this TV with the Olympics in mind but now had the amazing chance to see the opening ceremony in 3D, it was just fabulous and on the BBC!
This TV makes adults do that thing you see children do in cinemas with 3D films, they stretch out their hands to try to touch objects that are just in front of them, it's funny to watch them and everyone who has seen this TV both adults and children have been bowled over. HD is also excellent.
I really do like this new TV and am very pleased I bought it, it will be great when there are more films in 3D available and greedy Sky stop being stupid on the price of having 3D!
You can stream films direct (although for us our new BT infinity seems not to work too well without the films stalling, but this is I suspect BT and not the TV). There are loads of other features like being able to connect to the internet etc.
If you want a TV that will not break the bank, this is actually a mid range TV in price (although you will be hard pressed to know it from its performance) and one that looks really stunning on the wall, beautifully designed to appear frameless, then I absolutely recommend this TV.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV but expected a little more from LG, 25 May 2012
A. Macdonald - See all my reviews
Just bought this off Amazon a week ago.

After opening the box I was initially impressed with the quality and packaged items such as the magic remote and 5 pairs of 3d glasses you get with it (1 pair is a clip on or glasses wearers which pleased my wife!).
Once I'd set up the stand and stood it up I noticed that it leant slightly to the left. I put a little weight on the right hand side of the TV which seemed to correct the problem!

The TV itself had a shiny black finish with a chrome strip along the bottom. There is a brushed Aluminium strip that runs around the outside. It all looks great. The screen goes right to the edge (although on power on there is still a 10mm section that displays no picture around the edge).

On power up you are asked to configure the Magic remote and tune in the TV as well as setting up the network or Wifi connection. I skipped tuning as I'm only using it with SKY HD. The Magic Remote is clever but I can't see myself using it over the traditional buttoned remote. I used the wifi setup to connect it to the Internet, which was seamless and worked out of the box.

I selected HDMI1, which is my Sky box. The first thing I noticed was the terrible picture quality. This was ITV1 SD (NonHD) channel. It had distortion around the edges of the people on screen, it was very bright indeed and there was some kind of software enhancement going on which actually made us feel ill!

After trying the HD channels and hooking up the LG BP620 3D Blue ray player I bought with the TV, the quality was much improved but still not as expected.

I located the Network updates section in the TV settings and went for it. A new firmware was available which was immediately installed. This made things slightly better but still not perfect in SD.

I then found some settings, posted on the AV Forums, which made the SD picture quality better but not perfect. HD and 3D were much improved.

I thought I'd then see what the Smart TV functions had to offer. 3D world is OK but really is just some fun demos. The big thing for me was the BBC iPlayer on the TV. I selected it and received a message saying "coming soon". What? no iPlayer either!!!! Why publicise the fact that the TV can use it then. Very annoying!

We persevered and decided to watch the Champions League Final in 3D as it was being broadcast in 3D by Sky that night. Initially I was impressed but after while I noticed black streaks running down the screen and shadowy blocks in the middle of the screen. This, I think, is the "banding" some of the AV Forum users have been referring to. Once I noticed it it was unbearable!! That was it, the TV was going back!! It was the same for the cricket on the channel next door too. Black shadows running across the screen as if the camera at the other end had a dirty lens or indeed the TV screen was dirty (it wasn't!).

Next day I asked for a 2nd opinion from my Brother and his wife, who said that it looked better than their 4 yr old Samsung and they were blown away by the 3D and HD. Once I pointed out the banding though they agreed that it was annoying. The TV was packaged up next day and returned.

I decided to go for a replacement TV rather than a refund. The next one arrived 2 days later and was setup again.
I updated the firmware and put the settings in as referred to from the AVforums.com site. I went to the SKY Movie channels and played back the SKY Movies intro screen (the one they show before all movies start). This looked incredibly good, clear and crisp until I got to the cow boys in front of the Grand Canyon. There was the mysterious shadows and banding again!!!!!
It definitely wasn't as bad as the previous screen and I can only put it down to some sort of film behind the glass screen that is thicker in places than others. No amount of software or settings can remove this.

In the end I decided to keep this one as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of returning it all again. I'm glad I did as as the week has gone on things have got better.

My daughter and I watched the "Hugo" Blue ray in 3D. It is stunning. She even said so and 7 year olds don't normally bother about things like that! The 3D is the best I have ever seen, comparable with the Cinema! I just wish there was more 3D films to choose from as we already have most 3D releases on DVD and Blueray and I don't want to get them again!

I've contacted LG about the lack of the iPlayer and have been advised that they are sorting this out with the BBC and it should be working in a few weeks' time.

In Summary, the TV looks great, sounds good and the HD and 3D is stunning. Should you choose this TV, if the banding is excessive, try a replacement, it might be better. Adjust your settings so that the SD isn't as bad as it looks out of the box and enjoy.

Let's hope 3D Blueray does take off more as it is fantastic, and more films are released as a result.

Edited - 29th Aug 2012
This TV is actually very bad!! Do not buy it. Initially I was impressed but now I am sending it back after Amazon have offered me a full refund. It loses the sound sync, the display settings are wiped out every few weeks for each input and this one randomly restarts. A few days agao it went off and now wont even switch back on. I get a black screen and the LED flashes 4 times continuously. I can't wait to find a box big enough and get rid!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great colour, great sound, great TV, 3 Jan 2013
Just received my LG 699T in white (42inch).

Can't find anything to complain about so far! Not only does it look great but it works great. Internet connection was easy to install. Even linked up my mobile phone and ran Youtube through it! Pausing and stopping through my phone for amusement. As you can run YouTube through the TV direct it doesn't really add much else.

Sound, sounds good. So nothing to complain there.....

My girlfriend is now watching Sex in the city, mentioning that she an see all the clothes their wearing in more detail, so I guess she's happy ;)

The magic remote is intuitive and easy to use, access to the apps etc also easy.

Viewing is a pleasure and I've now hooked up my USB drive to watch films. Seems to recognise all formats so far.

10/10 for this product!

Only thing I can complain about... Is Amazon's lack of corporate tax contributions!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 3D TV, 18 May 2012
This review is from: LG 42LM660T 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED Cinema Screen 3D Smart TV with Freeview HD and 4 Pairs of 3D Glasses - Black (Electronics)
We purchased this TV in May 2012 after a lengthy review process. The unit was was not purchased from Amazon because the Harvey Norman offer was better. The LED TV has stunning looks and lacks a classic plastic edge that most LCD screens share(exception: the new Samsung series). Therefore, the 42 inch version we bought is only slightly bigger than the 6 year old 32 inch Toshiba was. The magic remote takes some time to get used to but does a good job. It resembles a Nintendo Wii controller and has a very small number of buttons. However the 'cursor' and 'enter' wheel do the trick for most things. Both 2D and 3D are of superior quality and the 5 pairs of glasses we got definitively helps. The unit has 3 USB ports so I have hooked up who external drives and it has no problems recognising them and playing the content. Excellent for playing a photo collection and you can even set it to play your preferred music in the background. There's an IOS5 app but at present it will not work as I've connected the TV with the router via wired connection. My understanding is that it would work if I had a dongle. The audio is pretty good too.
I give it all stars even though it is in our living room for only days

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous tv stunning picture, 9 Jan 2013
Took a gamble with this brand - normally steadfast with Samsung. Will not look back now as this LG tv is fabulous. Stunning picture, great connectivity, 3d is superb. I would highly recommend this tv along with the LG brand. Delivry was within 3 days. Thanks Amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D tv., 13 Dec 2012
My main reason for purchasing this tv was the fact that it was a future proof smart tv and for use with gaming consoles.

With LG being the leader in 3D panels (which are used in many other top name brands)i decided to go with the pioneer makers themselves.
Having had both Samsung and Panasonic flat screen tvs before both of which were very good i decide to give LG a try.

The 3D is very good as no flicker due to it being a passive setup rather than active. Has adjustable 3D depth adjustment too.(not tested yet). However this model also has 3D - 2D upscaling which to date i have found very disapionted.

As stated above the tv wil be used for gaming mostly and so far i am finding it very good plus it has the full screen (split screen) feature which is great for multiplay games.

Am not a audio/visual connoisseur but this tv had a great and easy setup out of the box and picture was great.
Has the best picture from any tv i have had so far. With several preset options plus 2 user setting for the connoisseurs amungst you.
Sound is good but could be better, but then again all tv would be the same as the manufacturers want you to buy a sound system aswell, so this is to be expected.

Pros.
Good out of the box setup.
4 hdmi sockets/3 usb.
HD tuner.
Superb slim frame and width. (ideal for wall mounting) with correct facing sockets.
Light tv for size.
Great majic remote and smart tv menus.(2 remotes)
Full multiplayer split screen gaming.

Cons.
No auto swithing sources when linked device is switched on (ie, pc or console).
Smart tv can freeze sometimes. (But believe this is due to slow internet connection and not the TV).

Tips.
Beware when positioning tv due to reflection from screen. Mounted mine on the wall and get the reflection of the light bulb now, which i hadn't accounted for.

Overall i think this is a very good tv or the price i paid for it 792 @ Amazon. Cheaper than the Samsung equivalent tv.
Dont forget LG 3D panels are used in many other brands of tv so why pay more for the name??

....................................................................
ps. Opted out of the free 48 hr delivery, and just opted for the free std delivery. Tv turned up via Citylink within the 48 hours anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality TV, 11 Sep 2012
Purchased this to upgrade my 5 year old LG and was not disappointed. Very easy to setup and looks stunning. The screen isn't quite as "edgeless" as the picture implies, there's probably about 1cm black edge within the limits of the glass but you don't notice it - I've never seen such a full screen picture.
HD picture quality is excellent and standard definition is ok too. I haven't noticed any issues of "ghosting" when watching sports or other fast paced pictures that others have mentioned when reviewing other TVs.

Virtual Surround sound quality is very good. I have a home cinema system but don't use it so much anymore - I sometimes forget it isn't on! There are a few different settings for sound to give a different feel, even a mode to enhance the clarity of voices - helpful in those serious scenes where characters are whispering to each other!

The software built in is excellent, menus are very easy to navigate with the magic remote. 3D is good, with some demos available from LG's online store (for free), though don't expect a huge amount of quality content straight away, we'll all have to wait until more 3D Blu-ray movies are available. Connecting the built in WiFi to my home network was easy (just select your WiFi network on the TV and enter your network password and job done!) which allows you instant access to LG's apps store. Don't bother with the games apps, they are all terrible (stick to your Xbox 360) but the 3D demos are fun and if you don't have a games console to watch things like Netflix or Lovefilm, you can connect to these services straight from the TV using the WiFi connection (additional subscriptions to these services are required).

File sharing from my PC was very easy too. Having set my homegroup network sharing options on my Windows 7 PC to share files and folders over home network, amazingly the TV picked up the connection to my PC straight away as an additional input. All I had to do was go to "Input List" and select my PC (the same place you go to switch between watching your Sky box and games console or DVD player). I can view pictures, videos and music by folders. Fantastic.

I've had the TV for 2 weeks and really have no complaints. If you're looking for a new 42" TV at a great price that will last you through the 3D movie revolution then you can't go wrong with this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about LM660t, 8 May 2013
I bought this item in Finland, the size was only a bit bigger, 55".

I like:
- Magic remote is superiour in use in contrast to other manufacturers versions of controlling the TV. This becomes most obvious when using internet.
- Great and vibrant colours
- Good overall image quality, especially with bright and not moving images
- Deep blacks
- Love the passive 3D, it's great. Excellent, vibrant and deep 3D-images and easy to wear glasses.
- 2D-3D -conversion works well too, especially with animations.
- Very good built-in media player with subtitle regognition.
- Smart share is great, you can connect your computer and stuff to Tv and play contents from there without annoying cables.

Don't like:
- Motion handling is poor. There is bad judder and resolution loss when Trumotion disabled. You can see this when objects cross the screen or camera pans. When Trumotion is enabled things get better concerning judder but there is a soap opera effet then. I suggest you adjust de-judder to 5 in user mode. It gives the best balance between judder and soap opera. This probably isn't a problem for all viewers, because my wife doesn't seem to notice these motion issues at all.
- There is noticeable dirty screen effect and banding. When camera pans on light surfaces (for example sky) you see these vertical lines and dirty looking areas on the screen.
- Not so very interesting apps in the appsstore. For example LG's 3D-world is over appreciated, the 3D-effect isn't very good in them. But they are free, that's nice.
- Deep blacks mean in this TV that shadow details are lost. Dark scenes look low on detail and contrast.
- Some light leakage on the edges of the screen but can be reduced quite well with image adjustments.

Final word: Very mixed feeling. There is lots of good things but enough bad ones as well to annoy you. I would say 3-4 stars depending on what is important to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant 3D tv, 3 Oct 2012
Bought this TV after a very long review process I wanted 47" and passive 3D which had to LED and smart. I was not put off by the bad reviews on this TV I have now had it installed for three weeks the picture is excellent on sky HD and SD also on free-view HD and SD blue ray's even better having now watched all of the Ryder cup in 3D 4 football matches and a film and have seen no evidence of the so called banding and ghosting that some reviewers have had. I have now connected a smart TV camera model LG AN-VC400 to use with the SKYPE APP which was so easy to install i was logged within 10 minutes. I also fitted an optical cable which delivered superb quality sound to my surround sound system.the only drawback i can find with this tv are the APPS BBC i player works fine the are not worth having come on LG where are the ITV 4OD and channel 5 APPS you are falling behind Samsung who now have ITV and BBC sport APPS on my Samsung 26" I have in the kitchen. I would like to give this TV 5 stars but I can only give it 4 due to the apps

ARRAY(0xac65f0cc)