5.0 out of 5 stars Picture is great but these settings make it even better!!!
Published on 14 Dec. 2012 by Andy O'Boogie

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV but expected a little more from LG
Just bought this off Amazon a week ago.
After reading many reviews and seeing that some buyers had had issues with ghosting, clouding and banding on the images [...] I went for it anyway putting it down to bad luck or incorrect settings. A recent Firmware update seems to have fixed it all for some.

After opening the box I was initially impressed with the...
Published on 25 May 2012 by A. Macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture is great but these settings make it even better!!!, 14 Dec. 2012
Andy O'Boogie (Widnes, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I had looked at 3D in shops but I can't say I had been particularly impressed until this week when I saw my first demonstration of passive 3D on an LG TV. Some people consider 'active' 3D the way to go. In the past I believe the picture quality could have been better with 'active'. After reading several reviews of the 2012 versions of LG tv's it sounds like passive 3D is now just as good. It is certainly cheaper for the glasses and they are lighter (no battery) so much more comfortable. This mid range model comes with 4 pairs plus clip ons for my glasses. I use sky and the hd and 3d pictures are great. There is a free 3d channel for sky subscribers which is a good starting point when you first get the tv. I had recorded some stuff the day before ready for when the tv arrived. You have to ask sky to turn it on (online or by phone). Then when you start watching it don't forget to press the 3D button on your remote (or it doesn't work properly as I found out!). I already had a sony 3d blu ray surround sound and the picture from that is out of this world. First film was Men In Black 3 in 3d.....simply amazing!!! Picture quality out of the box for this tv is very good. I did search around a bit on the internet and found the following settings which improved the picture quality to excellent for me.

energy saving:off
color temp:warm
gamma:2.2
method:2 Point IRE
Pattern:OUTER

color management system white balance

color tint luminance
red 1 5 2
green 3 6 0
blue -10 -8 2
yellow -2 -1 0
cyan 3 8 1
magenta -3 0 0

I am not interested in gaming or using the tv as a computer so sorry I can't comment on that. It is worth hooking the tv up to the internet because I have already had two updates since I received it two days ago. Can't wait to receive all the 3D blu rays I have asked santa for!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV... Cool 3D, 31 July 2012
It was time for a new TV and I did a lot of research before buying this one. I try where possible to buy the latest Tec when making a purchase like this so that it does not date too fast, this has always paid dividends with things like computers etc. The latest Tec can be a bit more costly but the cheaper product can often mean it's already out of date. I was a bit sceptical about the 3D but wanted a smart TV and the 3D is a feature of this TV.
It was pretty easy to set up straight out of the box and the picture good after a bit of getting used to the settings etc, it's not rocket science or I would not be able to do it. The control feels pretty intuitive and logical actually, quite like a smart phone.
I bought a 3D nature film, the choice available is limited and they are expensive at the moment but again I expect this to change when these TVs become more common. I put it on the new LG blue ray DVD player I also bought with the TV expecting a mediocre experience...how wrong can one person be!! The 3D on this set is fabulous I have not seen the depth of 3D and the 'stand out' effect since I was in Orlando at Disney, the 3D was the last reason I bought this TV but it is it's most amazing feature, and there are plenty of other really good features too.
I did not plan to buy this TV with the Olympics in mind but now had the amazing chance to see the opening ceremony in 3D, it was just fabulous and on the BBC!
This TV makes adults do that thing you see children do in cinemas with 3D films, they stretch out their hands to try to touch objects that are just in front of them, it's funny to watch them and everyone who has seen this TV both adults and children have been bowled over. HD is also excellent.
I really do like this new TV and am very pleased I bought it, it will be great when there are more films in 3D available and greedy Sky stop being stupid on the price of having 3D!
You can stream films direct (although for us our new BT infinity seems not to work too well without the films stalling, but this is I suspect BT and not the TV). There are loads of other features like being able to connect to the internet etc.
If you want a TV that will not break the bank, this is actually a mid range TV in price (although you will be hard pressed to know it from its performance) and one that looks really stunning on the wall, beautifully designed to appear frameless, then I absolutely recommend this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great colour, great sound, great TV, 3 Jan. 2013
Just received my LG 699T in white (42inch).

Can't find anything to complain about so far! Not only does it look great but it works great. Internet connection was easy to install. Even linked up my mobile phone and ran Youtube through it! Pausing and stopping through my phone for amusement. As you can run YouTube through the TV direct it doesn't really add much else.

Sound, sounds good. So nothing to complain there.....

My girlfriend is now watching Sex in the city, mentioning that she an see all the clothes their wearing in more detail, so I guess she's happy ;)

The magic remote is intuitive and easy to use, access to the apps etc also easy.

Viewing is a pleasure and I've now hooked up my USB drive to watch films. Seems to recognise all formats so far.

10/10 for this product!

Only thing I can complain about... Is Amazon's lack of corporate tax contributions!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV but expected a little more from LG, 25 May 2012
A. Macdonald - See all my reviews
This review is from: (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Just bought this off Amazon a week ago.

After opening the box I was initially impressed with the quality and packaged items such as the magic remote and 5 pairs of 3d glasses you get with it (1 pair is a clip on or glasses wearers which pleased my wife!).
Once I'd set up the stand and stood it up I noticed that it leant slightly to the left. I put a little weight on the right hand side of the TV which seemed to correct the problem!

The TV itself had a shiny black finish with a chrome strip along the bottom. There is a brushed Aluminium strip that runs around the outside. It all looks great. The screen goes right to the edge (although on power on there is still a 10mm section that displays no picture around the edge).

On power up you are asked to configure the Magic remote and tune in the TV as well as setting up the network or Wifi connection. I skipped tuning as I'm only using it with SKY HD. The Magic Remote is clever but I can't see myself using it over the traditional buttoned remote. I used the wifi setup to connect it to the Internet, which was seamless and worked out of the box.

I selected HDMI1, which is my Sky box. The first thing I noticed was the terrible picture quality. This was ITV1 SD (NonHD) channel. It had distortion around the edges of the people on screen, it was very bright indeed and there was some kind of software enhancement going on which actually made us feel ill!

After trying the HD channels and hooking up the LG BP620 3D Blue ray player I bought with the TV, the quality was much improved but still not as expected.

I located the Network updates section in the TV settings and went for it. A new firmware was available which was immediately installed. This made things slightly better but still not perfect in SD.

I then found some settings, posted on the AV Forums, which made the SD picture quality better but not perfect. HD and 3D were much improved.

I thought I'd then see what the Smart TV functions had to offer. 3D world is OK but really is just some fun demos. The big thing for me was the BBC iPlayer on the TV. I selected it and received a message saying "coming soon". What? no iPlayer either!!!! Why publicise the fact that the TV can use it then. Very annoying!

We persevered and decided to watch the Champions League Final in 3D as it was being broadcast in 3D by Sky that night. Initially I was impressed but after while I noticed black streaks running down the screen and shadowy blocks in the middle of the screen. This, I think, is the "banding" some of the AV Forum users have been referring to. Once I noticed it it was unbearable!! That was it, the TV was going back!! It was the same for the cricket on the channel next door too. Black shadows running across the screen as if the camera at the other end had a dirty lens or indeed the TV screen was dirty (it wasn't!).

Next day I asked for a 2nd opinion from my Brother and his wife, who said that it looked better than their 4 yr old Samsung and they were blown away by the 3D and HD. Once I pointed out the banding though they agreed that it was annoying. The TV was packaged up next day and returned.

I decided to go for a replacement TV rather than a refund. The next one arrived 2 days later and was setup again.
I updated the firmware and put the settings in as referred to from the AVforums.com site. I went to the SKY Movie channels and played back the SKY Movies intro screen (the one they show before all movies start). This looked incredibly good, clear and crisp until I got to the cow boys in front of the Grand Canyon. There was the mysterious shadows and banding again!!!!!
It definitely wasn't as bad as the previous screen and I can only put it down to some sort of film behind the glass screen that is thicker in places than others. No amount of software or settings can remove this.

In the end I decided to keep this one as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of returning it all again. I'm glad I did as as the week has gone on things have got better.

My daughter and I watched the "Hugo" Blue ray in 3D. It is stunning. She even said so and 7 year olds don't normally bother about things like that! The 3D is the best I have ever seen, comparable with the Cinema! I just wish there was more 3D films to choose from as we already have most 3D releases on DVD and Blueray and I don't want to get them again!

I've contacted LG about the lack of the iPlayer and have been advised that they are sorting this out with the BBC and it should be working in a few weeks' time.

In Summary, the TV looks great, sounds good and the HD and 3D is stunning. Should you choose this TV, if the banding is excessive, try a replacement, it might be better. Adjust your settings so that the SD isn't as bad as it looks out of the box and enjoy.

Let's hope 3D Blueray does take off more as it is fantastic, and more films are released as a result.

Edited - 29th Aug 2012
This TV is actually very bad!! Do not buy it. Initially I was impressed but now I am sending it back after Amazon have offered me a full refund. It loses the sound sync, the display settings are wiped out every few weeks for each input and this one randomly restarts. A few days agao it went off and now wont even switch back on. I get a black screen and the LED flashes 4 times continuously. I can't wait to find a box big enough and get rid!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 3D TV, 18 May 2012
We purchased this TV in May 2012 after a lengthy review process. The unit was was not purchased from Amazon because the Harvey Norman offer was better. The LED TV has stunning looks and lacks a classic plastic edge that most LCD screens share(exception: the new Samsung series). Therefore, the 42 inch version we bought is only slightly bigger than the 6 year old 32 inch Toshiba was. The magic remote takes some time to get used to but does a good job. It resembles a Nintendo Wii controller and has a very small number of buttons. However the 'cursor' and 'enter' wheel do the trick for most things. Both 2D and 3D are of superior quality and the 5 pairs of glasses we got definitively helps. The unit has 3 USB ports so I have hooked up who external drives and it has no problems recognising them and playing the content. Excellent for playing a photo collection and you can even set it to play your preferred music in the background. There's an IOS5 app but at present it will not work as I've connected the TV with the router via wired connection. My understanding is that it would work if I had a dongle. The audio is pretty good too.
I give it all stars even though it is in our living room for only days

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous tv stunning picture, 9 Jan. 2013
Took a gamble with this brand - normally steadfast with Samsung. Will not look back now as this LG tv is fabulous. Stunning picture, great connectivity, 3d is superb. I would highly recommend this tv along with the LG brand. Delivry was within 3 days. Thanks Amazon

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about LM660t, 8 May 2013
This review is from: (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this item in Finland, the size was only a bit bigger, 55".

I like:
- Magic remote is superiour in use in contrast to other manufacturers versions of controlling the TV. This becomes most obvious when using internet.
- Great and vibrant colours
- Good overall image quality, especially with bright and not moving images
- Deep blacks
- Love the passive 3D, it's great. Excellent, vibrant and deep 3D-images and easy to wear glasses.
- 2D-3D -conversion works well too, especially with animations.
- Very good built-in media player with subtitle regognition.
- Smart share is great, you can connect your computer and stuff to Tv and play contents from there without annoying cables.

Don't like:
- Motion handling is poor. There is bad judder and resolution loss when Trumotion disabled. You can see this when objects cross the screen or camera pans. When Trumotion is enabled things get better concerning judder but there is a soap opera effet then. I suggest you adjust de-judder to 5 in user mode. It gives the best balance between judder and soap opera. This probably isn't a problem for all viewers, because my wife doesn't seem to notice these motion issues at all.
- There is noticeable dirty screen effect and banding. When camera pans on light surfaces (for example sky) you see these vertical lines and dirty looking areas on the screen.
- Not so very interesting apps in the appsstore. For example LG's 3D-world is over appreciated, the 3D-effect isn't very good in them. But they are free, that's nice.
- Deep blacks mean in this TV that shadow details are lost. Dark scenes look low on detail and contrast.
- Some light leakage on the edges of the screen but can be reduced quite well with image adjustments.

Final word: Very mixed feeling. There is lots of good things but enough bad ones as well to annoy you. I would say 3-4 stars depending on what is important to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant 3D tv, 3 Oct. 2012
This review is from: (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Bought this TV after a very long review process I wanted 47" and passive 3D which had to LED and smart. I was not put off by the bad reviews on this TV I have now had it installed for three weeks the picture is excellent on sky HD and SD also on free-view HD and SD blue ray's even better having now watched all of the Ryder cup in 3D 4 football matches and a film and have seen no evidence of the so called banding and ghosting that some reviewers have had. I have now connected a smart TV camera model LG AN-VC400 to use with the SKYPE APP which was so easy to install i was logged within 10 minutes. I also fitted an optical cable which delivered superb quality sound to my surround sound system.the only drawback i can find with this tv are the APPS BBC i player works fine the are not worth having come on LG where are the ITV 4OD and channel 5 APPS you are falling behind Samsung who now have ITV and BBC sport APPS on my Samsung 26" I have in the kitchen. I would like to give this TV 5 stars but I can only give it 4 due to the apps

5.0 out of 5 stars 42 Inch Model, 12 Oct. 2012
This is a great TV, it looks amazing the lack of a screen surround is very stylish. The picture quality is really good and the sound, considering how thin the tv is, is actually very good!.

The main issue with this tv is the out of the box setup. SD tv is terrible and the colour is cartoon-like. It was a pant's filling moment for a while thinking I had chosen unwisely and stuck with it. You really need to spend time with the user settings rather than the predefined options and your perseverance will pay off. Eventually I got everything set to my liking and the picture is now fantastic. I should knock a star off for this inconvenience, but it would not really be fair, it's not the tv's fault the LG QA team are inept.

3D - The picture on the Sky 3D channel is not that great really. As the channel is probably coming in at 720p the picture looks a bit grainy and low def, with the 3D effect not really doing it for me.
Resident Evil Afterlife was a bit better. However, using the 3D Blu-Ray player the 3D picture was amazing, much higher definition and a much better effect. Note - you will need to mess around with the 3D depth settings to find your comfortable sweet spot.

Gaming - has a pretty low input lag when all of the effects are turned off in "Game" mode - the tv auto detects a console.

Internet - comes with a Wii like remote for faster cursor scrolling. I have not used this yet as I have a phone to surf the net, so I have only checked the browser out of curiosity.

Hit the home button on the remote and pre-installed are BBC iPlayer and a host of movie on demand apps, like Love Film, Netflicks etc... Sky Movies is getting a bit pont so I might do the love film trial to check this app out.

Things to remember;

Tru Motion effect, if used too heavily makes a movie look like it was filmed on a camcorder. I have found the optimum level to be 3.

Right out of the box do a firmware update - the ghosting issues that people have reported with the 660T series are fixed right away.

THE BIG PLUS - I spoke to LG and had them investigate for me and they came back with the following- The 42LM660T is exactly the same screen and speakers as on the 42LM670T - he said the only difference he could find in the hardware is the the colour and the 670 being slightly heavier due to the casing materials. Software wise there may be a difference as the 670 has a higher input lag at about 0.1ms, this is very noticeable according to reviewers and makes FPS games frustrating to play. The 660 has an input lag of about 0.04ms by comparison and is not really, if at all noticeable.

In a nutshell - looks great, amazing picture - you should see a Pixar movie on it - Good 3D (blu ray) and if you don't mind a black front and stand over aluminum, then you can same yourself over 150 quid as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars can be a great tv, 13 Aug. 2012
deano (leicester uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have had this tv for two weeks now and needed all that time to adjust it to get a perfect picture. these opinions are obviously based on the set I purchased (reliant), so other sets may differ. Out of the box it is easy to set up and needed an immediate update. The picture (to me) is too vivid with faces looking heavily made up and fresh from the tanning salon. Altering one of many settings leads to other problems and trial and error is the only way to get it right. It comes with a picture wizard setting but this didn't do the trick. Depending on your watching preference its best to set up a good blu ray film (I used SOURCE CODE) and set to this. virgin cable is output at 1080i so it isn't the best foundation (I don't have sky so....).
Once set up it is a stunning picture, very detailed and lifelike. sound is always an issue with me so mine is played through a 5.1 AV receiver - again a lot of fiddling to get it right but once again - brilliant.
the 3D is superb for passive, lots of depth and pretty good detail. I am still playing around with the smart control but through a wired connection it is a very easy and quick way to browse the internet.
the only downside for me is the highly reflective glossy screen, put a light on and you can see it, and yourself clearly on screen. It needs a dark room to be enjoyed fully. If the picture was outstanding uot of the box i would give it 5 stars but there you go, still a good value buy (check out reliant).

(Discontinued by Manufacturer)