As a big fan of Indian literature or literature about India, I was really keen to get going with this novel and I was not disappointed. A strong and powerful four star read that I really enjoyed from beginning to end.
Published on 13 May 2012 by The Kindle Book Review

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, lies and corruption
A good read, the beginning was quite long winded and took a while to get into however the book tells a horrific story of the impact of lies and corruption.
Published 14 months ago by ZOITA

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid four stars - sparkling, believable characters & a captivating story, 13 May 2012
The Kindle Book Review (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tell A Thousand Lies: A Novel Set In India (Kindle Edition)
The summary gives the impression the reader follows the twins Pullamma and Lata in equal parts and I half expected the narrative to switch between the two sisters but in fact, we are given the story for Pullamma's perspective and her perspective is just perfect - honest, frank and direct. As a narrator, Pullamma is extremely strong and the author has done well to create a character that is so far from my own background but I could still closely relate to and empathise with her story.
As Pullamma dreams of marriage and children, Lata wants to excel in her studies and become a doctor, both dreams seem impossible from the outset. Pullamma's dark skin has been the bane of her life and is deemed the reason she cannot be married off whereas Lata is fair skinned and perfect for any suitor, apart from her defiance and determination to study. It's extremely interesting how the notion of skin colour is so central to the story but it plays throughout and isn't an uncommon theme in other Indian literature.
The novel is quite slow paced but it works in context. It's hard to categorise this novel, much of it has a political undertone as the characters are often at the mercy of their local political fiend Kondal Rao who focuses on and controls their family with devastating consequences. It is impossible not to root for Pullamma as she gets up from a thousand setbacks and continues towards her dreams. At the same time, it is hard not to feel some empathy for her sister Lata who finds herself forced along a path she would never have wanted and in response acts despicably.
I really loved this novel, I loved how every single hardship and battle was tackled head on and how the author was able to create believable and genuine characters who it was impossible not to warm too and of course, I loved the ending.

Beth Townsend - The Kindle Book Review

4.0 out of 5 stars A powerful book., 6 Jun 2012
Louise Wise (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Three sisters, Pullamma, Lata and Malli have been brought up by their grandmother. The grandmother wants to find them a husband, but only two of the girls are "pretty". Pullamma is too dark to be considered attractive in 1980 India.

That's the theme in essence. We don't have anything to do with Malli (although her wedding brings us Kondal Rao and he's is going to be Pullamma's nightmare), Malli is married off from the start and we only begin to get to know Lata towards the end of the book. It's Pullamma's story and her that we life we get to know, but she's a girl very much of her time and heritage. All she wants is a husband and a family. Unlike her twin, Lata, she isn't interested in education.

In the beginning I did wonder if the book had too much "info dump" because there was a lot telling about how people from that culture lived, but before I realised I was hooked on Pullamma's story and found myself keen to finish. There were a few flashbacks that became a jumble at times, and I did wonder if the story was too "big" for the author, but overall I think Rasana Atreya did a very good job indeed. It was easy reading, and opened my eyes to how "free" Western culture is and how much it's taken for granted.

Pullamma, as a character, was delightful, although I found her too naive at times, especially as she openly trusted people even when, one after the other, they took advantage of her. Her husband was a character I couldn't warm to at all! I hoped Pullamma would dump him by the end of the story for being such a wuss and a pushover, but no, she "loved him".

Tell a Thousand Lies is a story I'm going to remember (for all the right reasons), I do think there was a lot packed into it, maybe too much? It wasn't so much as a roller coaster read, but a long, fast straight ride until you arrive with a bump the end. There was no break, no respite from the misery dumped on poor Pullamma, or if there was, it was in very short supply of a line or two of prose. I was quite out of breath towards the end!

In short it is a powerful book, and very much worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A disturbing but interesting insight into Indian culture and corruption, 6 Aug 2013
Amanda (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
In truth I think I would like to have given this book 3.5 stars as it really does lie between the 2 ratings. It took me a while to get into the storyline and characters but once I did it was compelling reading. On the slight negative side, the tragic event after tragic event did seem just a bit too far fetched for the story to have any really 'true' feel to it. But then I saw a collection of photographs in the Sunday Times titled "caste aside" and this included one of Love Commandos who protect lovers (from different castes) from their families - and, of course, we hear too often about honour killings - which made me think that perhaps the novel's tragic events, along similar lines, were not so far fetched after all.

At the end of the day, it was a disturbing but interesting insight into Indian culture and corruption and I will be looking out for the next novel from this author with interest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 5 Aug 2013
I started reading this book - via Kindle - last Saturday and finished it on Monday. Once I had read the first few pages, I got caught up in both the story and its writing. They are not always the same. The story is fast moving and varied. I could never predict and although about an unfamiliar culture, it was so well told that I could understand decisions made and sympathise with them.
As a consequence, I have now two days work to do because I did virtually nothing while I read and look forward to reading other books by this author.
Best book I have read for some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 July 2013
I loved this book .could not put it down.you really get to know the characters and the culture of india

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 April 2014
Having just returned from 3 months in India and very intrigued by its culture and caste system, i found this book intoxicating. Well written, i really thought i was there, the author really gives a good description of life there. What a good film it would make! Please write some books like this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lies really do create a tangled web!, 23 Mar 2014
A fantastic book with a taste of a foreign land's traditions and the good and bad in people. I could not put this book down.

I am a fan of Khaled Hosseini, so if you love his books too then I definitely recommend Tell a Thousand Lies by Rasana Atreya.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 23 Jun 2014
Great read, transported to India for an enjoyable descriptive journey. Stumbled across this book and I'm really glad I did!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 22 Jun 2014
A little slow to start but once it does very hard to put down. I laughed cried and hoped with the heroine

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG Amazing, 21 Feb 2014
Think this is the quickest book i have ever read,very moving, can't put it down once you start, great author