4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but quite peculiar editions
Published on 27 Oct 2008 by Florabritannica

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant pg. but a few typos in is edition
There are of course some of the finest books of English comedy in this compilation, but also several typos I've discovered in the first one.
Also a slightly odd way of organising them as vol 1 first book is "thankyou Jeeves". It would have been nice to have no typos and the books in a sensible order
Published 3 months ago by RevDitch

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but quite peculiar editions, 27 Oct 2008
I can add vanishingly little to comments on the quality of the writing: if you know the stories, they need no recommendation, if not, lucky you because you have them all to discover. This edition is handsome enough, and has text that while not quite a large-print edition is very easy on the eye, especially for reading aloud (I'm introducing the kids to the joys of Jeeves). BUT I foolishly bought volume one thinking I could read through that, and then get two, and so on, and I would be reading them in order. Far too logical. The third book in this collection, The Inimitable Jeeves, is indeed one of the earlier ones published, but then you need to go to Volume 2 of the omnibus for Carry on Jeeves, and continue hopping around. Strict chronological reading isn't a necessity, but references to previous event and minor characters do make more sense if the order of publication is followed. If the link to the listmania guide The Complete Jeeves & Wooster (in order of publication): A list by Alejo "ADB" has gone when you look at this page, do search listmania for it: I wish I had.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why are the books not in order?, 30 Sep 2008
B. Leach "Ben" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Love the stories, but it's so frustrating that they haven't put them in date order. Bertie Wooster frequently refers back to events that have taken place in previous books, and you have to wait until Book 3 of Volume 2 to see how Jeeves and Wooster first came together.

5.0 out of 5 stars The finest comic writer in the English language, 6 Mar 2011
How does one review Wodehouse? The reader either already knows he is the finest comic writer in the English language by a very wide margin, or he/she needs to be frogmarched to the library forthwith to have this deficiency in his/her upbringing and moral outlook forcibly corrected. Best to single out occasional Wodehousians, and impress on them your immodest views on how the present offerings stack up against the author's oeuvre as a whole.

`Thank You, Jeeves' is the first novel in the series and starts things off with a bang (or a banjolele, if you prefer). It is, however, topped by `The Code of the Woosters', in which the hapless Bertram Wooster is pitched headlong into sinister goings-on at Totleigh Towers revolving around the infamous eighteenth-century cow-creamer, and faces for the umpteenth time a, as he would put it, f w than d in the shape of betrothal to a girl who thinks the stars are God's daisy chain.

We end with `The Inimitable Jeeves', a collection of interlinked short stories mostly dealing with the frenetic love life of Bingo Little. Not my favourite denizen of the Drones Club is Bingo - he deserves a good hard smack upside the head rather more than any other of Bertie's friends - but worth putting up with, if only for the pleasure of witnessing Aunt Agatha's demeanour change to that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back.

Addendum:
This review covered, as indicated, the Jeeves Omnibus volume 1. To confuse matters, Amazon have since lumped together the reviews for volumes 1 and 2 and applied them to volumes 1, 2 and 5 (whose reviews have vanished). So it's worth adding that the words above might equally apply to volume 2 - `Joy in the Morning' particularly is a joy at any time of the day.

Volume 5 is a different matter. We're at the scrag end of Woosterdom here. `Aunts Aren't Gentlemen', the very last of the Jeeves novels written in 1974, hardly feels like Wodehouse at all, containing as it does whole chapters you can skim over without your face once cracking into the big goofy grin which normally makes reading the Master's output such an embarrassing spectacle if attempted in public. Wodehouse is incapable of being bad, but in these late works he does rather appear to have lost his footing whilst negotiating the stepping-stones of his dead self. I would award this volume no more than 3 stars, which is tantamount to exclaiming "Oh, Bertie!" in the way Aunt Agatha, rather than Madeline Bassett, does. Leave for last.

4.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't get Fry and Laurrie out of my head, 30 Sep 2008
Ref: Omnibus 1: This was, like many others have reported, a holiday read. Very simply this was very enjoyable and the stories flowed with ease. I am familar with the TV series so I could not get Fry and Laurrie's voices out of my head. This perhaps added to the ammusement and the general flow. All of them are far fetched and over the top but in good clean taste. The only draw back about this as a holiday read is the size and weight of the book. No regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bertie and the literary review, 6 Mar 2008
Barry Tighe "Author Sir Thomas 'British Tomm... (Spawater, Britannicca) - See all my reviews
'I say, Jeeves,' I said, gratefully accepting the w. and soda, 'it seems we have another five stars to pin to our chest. The Jeeves Omnibus Volume One really hits the spot.'
'Indeed sir, you have admirers everywhere.'
'We, Jeeves, we,' I insisted, credit where due. 'After all, where would I be without you? "X and Wooster" would hardly pack in the many headed. No Jeeves,' I beamed at the honest fellow, 'we are a team, a double act, a faire des groupes de deux.'
`Thank you sir, it is most gracious of you to say so.'
`Not at all Jeeves, not at all.' I placed the restorative on the whatnot. As I did, I noticed a flicker from above Jeeves's left eye. A sure sign, I knew, that he was trying to engage my attention.
`Yes, Jeeves?'
`Well sir, I was merely trying to convey the information that much of the credit must go to the Late Mr. PG Wodehouse.'
`Old Plum?' I nodded sagely. `True Jeeves, very true. Well, Jeeves, mix the doings and I shall drink a toast to him. And you, of course, and the good fellows at the publishing house.'
`I have one already prepared sir.'
`Thank you Jeeves.' I said, and I meant it to stick.
`Thank you, sir.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Joy, 19 Nov 2003
By A Customer
The content is endless pleasure, so I need comment no further than that. Others have before me, in any case.
I should like to point out that this collection does have quite a few glaring spelling errors - perhaps a little proof-reading mightn't have gone astray. Still, the book itself is printed on good stiff paper and highly readable print, if these things matter to you (and they should!).
That mentioned, prepare for dewy eyes and aching sides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Seriously funney, 18 Jan 2001
KJ Lyons (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
As someone who is not very familar with Wodehouse, I took this book on holiday with me, and did not put it down. One of those books you should not read in public as you get strange looks when you start laughing out loud!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely bloody brilliant! Huge fan of Wodehouse, 26 Nov 2013
Absolutely bloody brilliant! Huge fan of Wodehouse. His writing captures an age which may never come to pass again and I've yet to find any other author who makes me laugh out loud so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars The usual Jeeves & Wooster genius, 24 May 2001
By A Customer
There is really nothing I can say about Jeeves & Wooster that hasn't already been said. The constant stream of startlingly original and side-splittingly funny similes, the dizzying complexity of the plots, the characters that you'd swear have been stolen from your own circle of acquaintances... three perfectly formed pearls of masterful comic writing. Aaaaaahhhhh.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic and funny; an escape from the everyday, 1 Jan 2001
By A Customer
I'd seen the TV series with Hugh Laurie and this Christmas I decided to read some Wodehouse (never read any before!) so my husband bought me this. I didn't open it until Boxing Day- but I haven't put it down since. The stories were written in the thirties and forties and have an old-fashioned charm about them. The style reeks of Art Deco and the characters... can I take Jeeves home with me? His common sense and ready knowledge help poor Bertie out of many a tight spot. A chuckle a page, at least, and a desire to sip Pimms on ice have helped a busy Mum to weather the Festive season. Stress relief in a book.