5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the box
Have two young children who will have access to our iPad so I wanted something heavy duty that would withstand a knock or two accidental or tantrum induced!!!!!!
Published on 30 May 2012 by Rhinopolos

2.0 out of 5 stars Good protection but flawed design
Not sure if the previous review relates to the Otterbox for the new iPad (iPad three etc) as the new version does incorporate a screen protector, which is its biggest let down.

I purchased the cover direct from Otterbox after Amazon informed a delay in the pre-ordered shipments. Arrived promptly and as reported certainly provides the utmost in protection...
Published on 4 April 2012 by A. armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the box, 30 May 2012
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Series Case for Apple New iPad and iPad 2 (Personal Computers)
Following a morning of research I decided on the Otterbox over the Griffin heavy duty cover/case. I was hesitant following reviews suggesting that the protective screen cover affected usability so I ordered a protective screen cover too. In short I am sending the screen cover back. I haven't found any issues with usability whatsoever. The screen cover is thicker and noticeable but the iPad works just fine.

A few have mentioned issues with the home screen button which admittedly does require a bit of effort but this is far fro a two thumb job. It just requires a little extra effort than usual but please do not let that put you off. This is ideal for kid proofing our 'investment'. It would also suit Surveyors or construction site workers too due to its robustness. I cannot recommend this product highly enough.

The only word of warning is that it does change the look of the iPad, making it more robust and functional looking as opposed to being sleek and cool but I think all who are considering this will appreciate this fact.

I hope you find this review helpful. I am new to the world of iPad's and so this is my first experience, totally unbiased.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good protection but flawed design, 4 April 2012
A. armstrong "A.D.A" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews

The biggest change from the previous versions is the inclusion of the screen protector, this is built into the front panel and is a thickish layer of polycarbonate, the downside is this hugely affects the quality of the screen, which is the biggest bonus of the new iPad / iPad three. Text is now quite difficult to read at its native resolution, there is a distinct pattern in the laminate, best described as looking like chromatic noise in high ISO digital images.

Its a great shame, as this was one of the things that attracted me to the case after breaking the screen on a previous iPad. It certainly helps in the weather / dirt / sand sealing, but affects the screen to badly to warrant. Other point of note that although there is sealing plugs across all the other ports, the microphone on top, and speaker on bottom stay uncovered which seems odd, and kind of defeats the purpose?.

Last issue is the Home button requires a very solid press to work with the cover in place (its beneath a rubber "button") which again detracts.

If you need the ultimate in protection, then its still worth the investment, but not if the acuity of the screen is important. Obviously you can remove the screen protection prior to fitting (its held on by adhesive) and apply a standard adhesive screen protector which I may well try.

EDIT : I have now removed the screen protector that is part of the Otterbox, it simply peels off as is only attached with a light adhesive and leaves no residue. I have instead applied the Mediadevil Magic Screen (matt clear) - which is sensational - to the iPad. This product reduces the bulk of the scene glare / reflection with very little, if any reduction in screen quality. Once the Otterbox is refitted 360 degree protection is achieved albeit without the level of original sealing but as per comments above, given the open mic / speaker ports I doubt it will make much difference bar immersing it in coffee !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection, thoughtful design, 10 Jun 2012
This is a robust case and the clip-on cover is a piece of great design, especially as it conveniently clips onto the back during use. I was dubious, but it does also work well as a stand; both for typing and for viewing. Sure, it bulks out your sleek iPad by 100% or more, but if you were bothered about that you wouldn't be looking at a case like this - it's already saved mine from potential damage after a child-induced two-foot fall.
It's not cheap, but worth every penny. Following the advice of another reviewer, I too removed the plastic screen protector - it's thick plastic, but it ain't gonna stop the screen smashing, and if the case gets a soaking there are plenty of other ways liquid can get in. Having used a matte MediaDevil screen protector for my phone, I chose the iPad version - I suspect a Retina edition will be released soon as it does seem to dull the amazing screen a little, but the texture provides a positive feedback when using a stylus on the screen and has scratched slightly, telling me I've saved some damage to the screen itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars All hail the OtterBox!, 30 Jun 2013
S. Brooke - See all my reviews
My iPad 4 has been protected by my OtterBox now for several months and it is in the same mint condition as when I bought it. I'm very impressed with the level of protection it gives, particularly as there are no significant compromises. I love the rubberised feel, which gives brilliant grip and the screen protector is pretty good, don't get me wrong the protector is a bit like wearing a condom...you can have lots of fun without the risk of damage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case - Ipad 4th Gen, 21 Feb 2013
I'm really impressed by this case. We have an iPad 4th gen and two kids so it was high on my priority list to get a solid case. I was really torn between this one and the Griffin survivor case. After reading the reviews I went for the Otterbox and I'm glad I did.

The case consists of a thick plastic surround that clips onto the iPad and holds it snug. There is also a rubber surround that goes on the outside to create a second layer of protection and an ergonomic rubbery grip. There is a polycarbonate lid which clips onto the front of the case to protect the front of the iPad when on the move or in a bag. The lid will also clip onto the back of the case so it's out of the way when you are using your iPad. The lid also contains a built in stand which can be flipped out and provides two different angles, around 30 degrees and 80 degrees, depending on which way round you place the iPad. Both stand positions work with the iPad in portrait or landscape orientation. When the lid is removed, the screen is protected by a plastic sheet screen protector.

Unlike a couple of other reviewers, I found the touch screen to be just as sensitive with the plastic screen protector as it was without the screen protector and I haven't noticed any reduction in screen quality. I don't even notice that there is a screen protector on it, to be honest. The home button does need slightly more pressure but we don't find this a problem. If it gets too annoying, I'll just stick a small square of cardboard under the rubber to improve the sensitivity, like another user advised.

Pros:
Rugged design and although we've not tested it, I'm convinced it would easily survive a drop onto our tiled floor.
The plastic lid covers the screen when not in use so there is no risk of screen damage when transporting the iPad - which is a real plus in my book.
There is a gap in the case over the speaker so there is no loss of sound quality when case is on.
There are flaps in all the right places for the charger, headphones etc., gaps for the front & back cameras and buttons for the volume control and home button which line-up perfectly with the iPad (unlike with the Griffin case)
The stand is attached to the plastic lid and can be popped up when you need it. There are two stand positions are pretty perfect for all our applications (another big plus over the Griffin case). Note: when the stand is engaged the iPad just rests on the lid without clipping in so if on the move you need to carry both bits or just close the stand and clip the lid on the front or back of the iPad

Cons:
It's not a pretty case but it's functional - well worth it to protect our investment.
The case makes the iPad pretty bulky and pretty heavy but that doesn't affect it's use in our household and my 4 year old uses it without any problem.
We got a black case and now our lovely white iPad is a fetching shade of black. It's not a problem for me really but might annoy others. I understand that you can buy different colours of Otterbox in the US and it would be pretty easy to replace the black rubber outer with a different coloured one.

NB:This is not a waterproof case and it's not designed as such. I suspect it will survive accidental spillages or light rain however the microphone port on the front and the speaker on the back are not covered so if the ipad becomes immersed, it will take on water. I do not intend to take this device swimming so not a problem for me. The positive is that there is no reduction in sound recording or output quality, unlike other iPad cases.

If you are considering both the Otterbox and Griffin cases for your iPad (which for me after reading many reviews were the only two that I considered), read the negative comments for both before making your decision. That is what swung it for me and the Otterbox and I'm glad I made this choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars easily the best case for the iPad, 21 Aug 2013
I've tried most cases and this one is the best, it fits well and has a nice smooth solid feel to it. I removed the clear plastic sheet as it obscures the screen a bit, if I take it out of the house I just clip it into the tray/stand so the screen is still protected. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved Spec, 14 Aug 2013
A. Horner "Andrew Horner" (Erskine, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought my iPad 2 in 2011 and started out with the Otterbox Defender case straight away. However, two years later I found the original Otterbox casing was cracked and coming apart and the cover that clips on top (and is used as a stand) had one of the lugs snapped off. How this happened I'll never know because I have no memory of dropping it or of any rough treatment.

Anyway, I decided the time had come to replace the case and looking on Amazon I found the same case for £24.95 - a real bargain considering they cost over £40 - so I ordered one. It arrived promptly and I noticed some differences:

1. There's no need any more for a stick-on screen protector. There is one built in to the new version and it works a treat. It's crystal clear and very responsive.

2. The rubber surroundings on the original case have been replaced with a hard silicone which is more robust and feels better.

3. The design of the new case is slightly different to the old one in that there are some design changes and it appears to be more 'slip proof' with a different type of plastic. It also appears to have two magnets built into the lid section which I assume switch the screen off when fitted. The older version did not have this.

4. It's a snug fit and takes more effort to fit the lid than it did before but I think that's good.

5. Finally, there is unfortunately a down-side. The lugs inside the silicone case which connect to the on/off button and the volume have given me a problem. The lugs are hard (like the silicone) and the on/off switch had to be trimmed inside with a Stanley knife because it pressed permanently on the switch and wouldn't let me switch it off. The volume ones are also so 'proud' that they turn the volume up but won't let me turn it down. Trimming the on/off lug has eased the pressure a bit and now I can do both (volume up and down) but it's too sensitive and the lightest touch changes the volume so I think I may have to employ the Stanley knife again.

Overall I like the case and it's certainly more robust than its predecessor but I knocked off a star for the lug problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars This former otterbox fan is very disappointed., 30 Dec 2013
I am an otterbox fan. I have used the otterbox defender and reflex series for my iPhone and love both those products. This case for my ipad 2 falls way short of my expectations. Getting the case open in order to fit it to my ipad was a nightmare in itself! Even being very careful I managed to snap off two of the retaining clips. Fortunately the case is so tight that this seems to make very little difference to the way the case fits! I would not like to take the ipad out of the case very often. In fact now it's in I don't think I will risk playing with it again! However......

Once I did manage to get the case on I found that the rubber on/off switch was protruding too much on the inside of the case. It held the button down constantly making the ipad completely unusable. Having already broken the clips I felt that I could not honestly return the product so with nothing to lose I shaved a couple of mil' of the inside of the button and this has remedied that particular problem.

Now it is fitted the case feels robust and I am confident it will provide the impact protection I expect from an otterbox product. I am not confident however that I will be able to take my ipad out of it ever again without breaking the case!

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 yr old has not managed to break I pad yet - I thank otterbox, 13 Oct 2013
I pad gets treated very badly by 1 yr old. We obviously going to get broken so bought this. It is very good. It makes the I pad heavy and unattractive but there we go. The stand is something that you would not carry around with you (makes the ensemble even more heavy and unattractive) but useful at home if playing music etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Protector - poor screen cover, 10 April 2013
I bought this cover having previously having an Otterbox Defender for my iphone 4.

I know the screen protector causes the screen to look like it has some digital noise - but I didn't really notice this much on the iPhone so thought it wouldn't be a problem on the ipad. I was wrong - the built in screen protector really does effect the screen badly - almost to the point that my eyes feel strained reading black text on a white background.

The case itself seems great - it really does have an 'armoured' feel and I think it should withstand some fairly rough treatment.

Te stand is a great idea, I'm sat typing this on my ipad resting on my knee on the stand and it is at a very comfortable angle.

Overall I really would recommend this case - although be aware of the screen issue. As other reviewers have done I think I'll be investing in a different screen protector and removing the Otterbox one. If you're going to be using your ipad out and about however you might be as well sticking t the built in one - it is thick and probably withstand more abuse that other versions.