5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-round device
I have just upgraded to this from a PIXMA MX870, which the PIXMA MX895 builds upon (as well as the MX885 that was released in-between).

Installation was a bit simpler than I remember it was with the MX870; the print head was pre-installed and the print head alignment sheet did not need to be subsequently scanned. Connecting to the wireless network was made easy...
Published on 23 May 2012 by NeedPerfection

3.0 out of 5 stars Linux users
After agonising for weeks about which all-round printer to buy I thought this looked a good bet and was impressed by its reviews and discount on Amazon.
However, my computer's operating system is Linux and I didn't realise how little backup there would be for a relatively new product. My daughter and I unpacked the printer and worked carefully through the written...
Published on 25 Aug 2012 by buff orpington

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality machine, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MX895 All-In-One Colour Photo Printer (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax) (Accessory)
After spending ages researching the market, this machine seemed to fit our requirements - both my wife and I are keen photographers so quality was important; we tend to keep things for years anyway - so initial high cost wasn't the end of the world and we don't print much so running costs weren't a big consideration. These criteria led us to this Canon. It was ordered on a Thursday and came next day. That night I read through the set-up instructions. On the Saturday morning we began the set-up process with some trepidation that turned out to be ill-founded . It seemed to be in three stages. Preparing the machine, hooking up the wireless capability and installing the files on our three computers so that they could communicate with the Canon.

The first part involved unpacking the supplied five ink cartridges and installing them in the Canon's cradle. When each was placed correctly an LED lit up, which we thought was an excellent and reassuring touch. The machine then cleaned the heads (4 minutes). The heads were then automatically aligned (6 minutes) using a supplied piece of paper.

Connecting to the network was very straightforward. We pressed a button on the router for five seconds and the Canon announced it had found the network and the wireless icon on the Canon lit up!

Supplied with the machine was a formidable array of cables, adaptors and two CD-ROMs - one for Windows and one for Apple Macs. As we had opted to connect wirelessly we didn't need the cables but the Windows CD-Rom was placed in our Windows 7 machine. We followed the on-screen instructions and the appropriate files were copied on to the computer, this we were informed took 18 minutes. A couple of minutes later we were finished and that machine was able to communicate with the Canon. We did the same procedure with our Vista machine, another 18 minutes while the files were being copied and we were up and running. Finally, we tried our new Windows 8 laptop that told us that the printer driver was being used by another application and aborted the procedure! Still, we thought two out of three wasn't bad. I have a speech impediment and don't like using the phone so we emailed Canon Support who suggested downloading the files from their website. That worked and our three machines print/scan wirelessly.

The Canon can be used as a fax machine and the appropriate cables/gizmos are in the box but we decided that we didn't need this facility. (I think I read once that Faxes carry more weight in law than emails, but not being a lawyer I don't know how true that is.)

In use the printer produces good quality results. Being hypercritical we tweaked the red to reduce the red channel and decease the warmth a tad. We also tweaked the contrast up a bit but that's what adjustable drivers are for after all. The hinge mechanism of the scanner part does not facilitate the scanning of books or other thick objects.

We have not done much printing and so can't comment on it's thirstiness.

Every-day paper is fed from a cassette in the body of the machine and Photo-Paper (which is thicker and heavier) has its own gravity feed tray at the back.

All in all we're pleased with the Canon. It looks good in a domestic setting, it was well presented, easy to set up, produces good quality results and Canon Support was friendly and helpful. We would certainly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, has all feature you would need apart from CD printing, 27 Mar 2014
Great printer. Works well and I really like the multi scanning feature. Prints well for an average user but uses ink fast.

I may opt for an additional mono black and white printer as the ink runs out quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints, 16 Mar 2014
Printer works great though it does use up a lot of ink so it's not that economical. I love the all in one functions, printing, scanning and faxing wirelessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, 28 Feb 2014
Brilliant printer, copier, scanner. Haven't set up the fax yet (who faxes nowadays?) but imagine this would be as good as the rest of the functions. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer, 3 Feb 2014
The Highland Lass (Highlands of Scotland) - See all my reviews
Have had this for a while now and can't fault it at all. Prints well, copies well, scans well, haven't used the fax as I don't need but the rest is superb. Have it attached to the network so friends/family/guests can print over WiFi and that works effortlessly as well. Probably a newer version available now so would not hesitate to buy another one.

3.0 out of 5 stars MX895 - Hideous wired Ethernet connection setup!, 25 Dec 2013
John E. Allen - See all my reviews
I have had two MX895s but I must say that (at least with my ASUS RT-N66 router) CANON have a HIDEOUSLY complex installation routine for the WIRED Ethernet connection and I sent the first one back (to Germany!) because I genuinely believed it to be faulty in that respect, whereas it would connect and print easily via the wireless WPS connection method.

Finally, however (and about 4hrs trying!), I did persuade the 2nd 895 to connect via the wired connection after an awfully large numbers of attempts but I am still not absolutely sure how I did it as the ASUS router consistently refused to see it as being connected to the wired network, and before that it displayed exactly the same problems as the first one. However, I do remember that I had to manually set it to have a defined IP address (NOT the same one as the automatically allocated wireless IP address!) and I think I also manually entered the router IP address into the printer's DNS list, and then I manually entered the printer MAC address in the router's list of devices to search for - after that the router did see the 895, and I was then easily able to connect 3x laptops to it over the wired network. Not the best way to spend a Christmas Day morning, but at least I was then able to enjoy the Xmas Dinner :-)

I think the main problem actually lies with CANON themselves for making it so difficult to use the wired connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all rounnder, 6 Dec 2013
Excellent printer. Good scan and print quality.

Very quick and versatile, easy to use. I like the program option that allows you to send print to the bottom and rear trays, great when you are printing on two different types of paper.

Ink as always can be expensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good bit of kit, 5 Oct 2013
It probably has more features than I need, but it does the important things really well: photo prints and scans are my main uses, and it is superior to our old iP5200.

My only gripe is the way that it seems to drink coloured ink like it's water. Uses a lot more than I thought it would.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 9 Aug 2013
As a multifunction device this is more than satisfactory. All of its abilities operate smoothly and without fuss. The supplied software is comprehensive, easy to use and backed up by a fulsome help function. Printing, scanning and copying works beautifully and so do the wireless instructions. Quality is excellent and with good photo paper and Canon inks the results are marvellous.

I am using this under Windows 8 and some updates were required for full operation and this again was all carried out smoothly and without fuss. The end result is that I am more than pleased and would recommend this product to anyone. It does have a large footprint and can be a bit noisy but not as loud as my old dot matrix printer!

4.0 out of 5 stars All in one photo printer, 6 July 2013
Good printer beautiful photos but heavy on ink! Do you really need a FAX cannon could easily omit this and reduce the price.