on 23 May 2012
I have just upgraded to this from a PIXMA MX870, which the PIXMA MX895 builds upon (as well as the MX885 that was released in-between).

Installation was a bit simpler than I remember it was with the MX870; the print head was pre-installed and the print head alignment sheet did not need to be subsequently scanned. Connecting to the wireless network was made easy via WPS registration. Software installation was fairly simple (but required a reboot to "update an old file" before starting - perhaps something from the MX870). However, updating the firmware was not as straightforward as one would have hoped; it required a connection via a (of course unsupplied) USB cable (as well as having the printer driver installed on the connected device - I used a netbook for the task which I hadn't installed the driver on yet and so this made it a bit more hassle). One would imagine the majority of people will be using the device over their home network so it would have been helpful to include a network or web interface based upgrade (or even have the printer download it from the internet itself!). I have to say though that I am glad Canon are making firmware updates available to end-users (though this one was mainly to add already advertised features).

The Canon software works fine, but as ever it feels disjointed. It also now invades your desktop with some a vertical bar in bottom right-hand corner of the desktop, as well as a balloon tip on start-up in the notification area to remind you to install Easy WebPrint if you didn't. There are also now various confirmation dialogue boxes when you click on any button that connects to the internet/opens a web page, which among other things tells you that Canon will know you clicked on the button (something that should be fairly self-explanatory !!).

The print quality is good, I imagine it's a notch below Canon's best photo printers but it's more than adequate for everyday use. One annoyance that was present on the MX870 and is still there is that if the printer hasn't been used for a while, it will take two minutes to warm-up after sending a print job.

One of my favourite features is the duplex ADF for scanning. A feature not normally found on home printers, it makes scanning documents so much easier. When scanning multiple photos etc. on the platen, the scanning software can automatically split them into separate images. The printer also has a duplex unit for two-sided printing, and dual paper trays (front loading cassette and rear tray).

The printer also has some nifty features including Google Cloud Print (this is what the firmware update was for) which lets you print from any internet connected computer using Google Chrome or other Google services. A tip for registering the printer with Google Cloud Print: after the printer prints the registration page you need to press OK on the printer (to confirm the page printed) before actually registering online, otherwise registration will fail (or at least it did for me). This caught me out the first time but you can repeat the process so it was just a nuisance more than anything.

This printer does have a large footprint though it is slightly smaller than the MX870. It still has some of the nice touches from the MX870 including the automatically opening output tray cover.

Overall, there are a few niggles mentioned above but I think the breadth of features makes up for it and hence the five-star rating. What I can't understand is how Canon have completely failed to deliver enough stock to meet demand. Still today, nowhere has it in stock, when the printer was supposed to have been on sale in April. Luckily I have managed to obtain one from Amazon!

Feel free to ask anything in the comments and I will do my best to answer/update the review.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 January 2013
I've fought for years with HP. When they work, the print quality is fine. But, I've now had three printers that have gone wrong and NOT due to age or misuse! The latest one (a Photosmart all-in-one) had printed a total of 797 pages and it's completely unreliable. Enough!

I was looking for a printer to replace that HP one, so an all-in-one, but one with an auto document feed and one that could print photos without having to change all the paper around.

This Canon one has it. The photos can just lie in the rear tray and will be used when they're needed. Normal paper goes in the drawer at the bottom of the printer.

The set-up was trivial. I didn't connect it to a PC by USB and didn't install ANY software on my PC during the set-up. Compare that to HP! HP is a massive bloatware of software that is just really poor. Even the driver set for HP runs at about 220MB!

With the Canon, I unpacked it, plugged it in, inserted the inks, ran the head alignment (part of the set-up) and set-up the wireless parameters and that was it. With my two Windows 7 machines (PC & laptop) they just "found" the printer on the network and quickly installed the drivers - fully functional, including for print, scan, fax, etc. With my phone, I installed the Canon EPP app. and that too found the printer in less than a second and it just works!

Everything I've tried on the device so far just works. The buttons on the device are clear and simple and print quality (both normal paper & photos) are very high quality.

The beauty of this device (over the HP) aside from the fact that it works, is that it has a duplex ADF, which means you can copy or scan double-sided documents without having to do anything. You can, for example, copy double-sized documents to another double-sided one, or to single-sided, etc.

A beaut!
on 21 June 2012
First off did not get this on Amazon as with conversion of GBP was able to get it at a better price on dabs but wanted to post here and give my support for the MX895 as its a damm good printer.

It's my first canon, I've had hp (it was ok) and dell (it was crap - as ink was a rip off) but this on the other had is great, prints at a good speed and quality its very good, i have not print an image on to photo paper but was happy with it on normal office paper.

It's easy to set up, the one I got had no USB and from the Description page here on Amazon this one dose not as well, You don't need the USB if you have wifi in the house, as the printer will connect to that and after you install the canon software on each pc, laptop etc you can print from anything. I will point out don't worry if your pc is not on wifi, as once the printer connects to your wifi router it will then also work though your internet cable from router to pc etc.
Why I'm saying all of this is if you don't have wifi make sure you look in to getting an usb lead!

As this is my first canon I can't compare it to other but it seems good, it is very big however with everything it does one should expect it to be large!,

One small point i found the paper tray to be very small does not hold as much as i would like but this is a small thing only means opening the tray and adding paper a few more times a week etc then my last printer.

The quality of the printer is good it feels strong and there does not seem like bits on it would break that easy.

The Canon software is a bit odd! As was said by another post "it feels disjointed"

The printer has Cloud Printing with is great, and fax was not hard to set up - its comes with an extra guild book just for fax! But it's not that hard - cant say how good the fax is yet though.

Scanner size is standard (same as what i had on my last dell printer) but for the size of this printer I would have liked it to be bigger! It's a small thing and its fine for A4 but if you're looking to scan A3 etc you're going to need a standalone scanner with this (HP do some good stand alone ones)

In short i am very happy with this printer it's just want I wanted and expected and would recommend it to everyone. it's got a good price tag on it and as it's so new its full for the latest tech!
on 9 August 2012
For the past five years I've been using a Canon Pixma MP830, one of their top of the range all-in-ones, for scanning and printing and have been delighted with it. So when the scanner light failed I chose the top of the range Pixma MX895 to replace it, as I could not find details on the scanning settings of it's rival, the HP Officejet Plus 8600. I assumed the MX895 would be able to do all that my old Pixma could. Wrong!

I do a lot of scanning, for which Canon supplies its proprietary software called MP Navigator. This offers six simple scanning options (Color photo, Black & white photo, Color document, Black & white document, Color magazine, and Text OCR) and on selecting any of these you were then offered a limited range of paper sizes, resolutions and other settings. However, scanning using the simple options tended to produce dirty whites and unnecessarily large file sizes. To solve this the Pixma also supplies ScanGear scanner driver, where whites could be white and file sizes small and where a much greater range of settings were available, including colour saturation and contrast settings.

But the scanner software with the MX895, called MP Navigator EX 5.1, is half baked. For the six simple scanning options it is improved, offering greater ranges of settings. But go into the ScanGear scanner driver, where those serious about picture scanning are likely to go, and the settings options are limited. For example, for colour scanning the only size option is full platen, so you cannot scan say a 5x7 inch photo but specifying it as 127x178mm but instead have to wait for the scanner to track across the whole platen and then crop the result. For a company that prides itself and sells machines on the basis of photo abilities that is crazy. Size options are also very limited for the ADF, e.g. A5 landscape is no longer available. File sizes using the six simple options vary from large to huge. A simple A4 typed letter scanned in black and white at 400dpi gave files of just over 100kB on basic settings, but with the autofix or descreen options file sizes jumped to over 700kB. Ridiculous. With my old machine I used to scan A4 text pages at 400dpi to files of typically 40-60kB.

The Pixma MX895 looks good and is a lot of kit for the money. Text print is pretty good, though I've noticed photocopied documents have slight upward slant of about a millimetre to previously horizontal lines; not because they were fed crooked as there is no tilt to their left margins. This didn't happen on my old Pixma. Canon inks costs are higher than rival makes, but I find generic cartridges good for ordinary print. Unfussy people who just want an all-in-one that works at the touch of a button, and who aren't bothered about scanned file sizes or scanning for photo work are likely to be pleased with the MX895. But to me scanning and photocopying are inferior to its predecessor, and the machine is limited and let down by bungled and inadequate software.

UPDATE: OCTOBER 2012: After a couple of months use the range of settings for the Scanner Driver suddenly became available; previously they had been greyed out. Perhaps Canon had updated the software? This made the scanner much more useful and removed most of my (above) gripes. So 4 stars now instead of my previous 3. Software now fairly good, but could be better.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 June 2012
This item arrived on time via DPD who sent an email to me advising estimated time of delivery which it did, this courier company have an excellent delivery service and they always advise me of estimated time of deliver.

As for the Printer it arrived in original Canon packaging and in good condition. Unpacking and setting-up with the aid of included instructions was easy, but take care to follow them as you may miss some of the items that prevent the inner workings moving during transit. After setting up, I then proceeded to set up the wireless connection, this time following on screen instructions. After a few moments the connections was made and the wireless key entered we had the machine up and running.

The print quality for documents is clear and clean, copying documents also gives good quality prints.

I have only had the printer for a few days and have not used all the facilities as yet but so far I am impressed with the quality of the machine and its ease of use.
on 24 January 2013
I chose this all in one for two reasons, the first being it's photo printing ability and the second being it's duplex ADF ability.
I took the risk of not seeing it in action and relied on PC mag reviews and those on Amazon. The reviews tend to be a little critical of the ink consumption and cost but I was willing to accept this if the photo print quality justified it. It does indeed! As an amateur photographer I do like to print my better shots and Canons 5 cartridge print engine is excellent. Having moved house I also needed to archive loads of documents and thats why the duplex ADF facility was on the list. So far the duplexing works well-albeit slowly-but as I'm not standing by handling the paper this isn't that relevant. Non duplex ADF operation is fast.

Set up was easy and operation is very straightforward. It also looks stunning in it's shiny black trim with everything folded away!

I bought this for home use and to support my hobby so the cost per sheet was not a factor. If you need an office all in one then I expect that you can find one that is cheaper to run. However if you want high quality photo printing with all in one facilities then a Canon with this print engine will make you smile.
on 25 August 2012
After agonising for weeks about which all-round printer to buy I thought this looked a good bet and was impressed by its reviews and discount on Amazon.
However, my computer's operating system is Linux and I didn't realise how little backup there would be for a relatively new product. My daughter and I unpacked the printer and worked carefully through the written instructions with no problems until required to put in the CDs which were only for Windows/Mac users.Nearly three weeks later the problem is still not resolved as the Linux driver is still encountering problems, and features like scanning are still totally inaccessible to us as they were not set up because we had no usable CD. I will now have to wait for my son to pay us a visit and spend hours fixing everything (I hope!).
If I had known about these drawbacks I could have purchased an older Canon like the Pixma 6250 recommended by Which? which may have had better backup, so be warned!
on 26 November 2012
Bought this based among other things on Which? review, plus the fact that I have always found Canon printers good. This has not disappointed, it is fast, very easy to set up and to use, lovely quality printing and good scanning, and the wireless setup is brilliant (first wirelessly networked printer I have had - so flexible to use). Really happy with this. Plus separate inks keeps running costs down a little.
on 2 November 2012
So far the printer appears to be doing what it says it does. A quiet efficient product, although the two tray paper feed system takes a while to get used to.
on 16 February 2013
I bought this printer as a replacement for an ageing HP Officejet 6310 All-in-One.

The print quality compared to the HP, even on plain paper is like comparing a Da Vinci with my kids hand printing - it's that good a difference. The duplex function works fine and there haven't been any paper jams in the few months I've been using this.

One of my uses for the printer is to scan documents and partly due to the in-built duplex function and the good quality of the auto feeder, this has improved my throughput of scanning. Again, unlike the HP Officejet (which was my third HP inkjet over the years) there haven't been any jams. The quality of the scanned image is much better.

Overall, having been an HP printer fan ever since the first Laserjets in the 1990s, I do wonder why it took me so long to venture into the world of Canon - a place I'm destined to stay for a while.

One downside is that it seems to have been quite thirsty on the ink and a replacement set of inks is c. £40 (for all five). I would have liked to have seen this model come with CD printing, but Canon don't do a multi-function device with this feature.

I should really give this five stars (if I'm comparing with the HP devices), but four stars due to cost of ink and the lack of a feature that they've put in their other inkjet printers.