5.0 out of 5 stars Good trilogy
This is a three book series.
Its good.
In fact its better than good.
My favourite Trek writer has a way of describing things to give the impression of 'Bigger'.
Bigger everything. The galaxy, the federation, the crew. Even down to using hundreds of the ships crew to brain-storm a puzzle. Described as a form of multi-level parallel processing.
You...
Published 23 days ago by Dan Brierley

3.0 out of 5 stars Cold equation 3
I think that the best thing would have been to just do two books rather than three. This book was ok but nothing brilliant
Published 2 months ago by Jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars Good trilogy, 24 Mar 2014
Dan Brierley "Dan" (At home, where do you think.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: The Body Electric: Book Three (Kindle Edition)
This is a three book series.
Its good.
In fact its better than good.
You are always given the impression that the Enterprise requires more than seven people on the bridge to keep it running. And that the federation is more than just one admiral who pops up on a viewscreen for some exposition.
Nice touches like that keep me buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cold equation 3, 10 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars New horizons!, 11 Nov 2013
Great trilogy, it has everything Data's return and preparation for Picards retirement or if as I suspect with the star trek series THE FALL the idea of Picard maybe becoming Federation President. Bravo!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fordy136, 21 Oct 2013
I enjoyed reading this series of books. Couldn't put it down sometimes =)

I would recommend to anyone who wants Data to come back into the Star Trek Series after his death.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected (contains spoilers), 29 Sep 2013
So, we now reach the conclusion of David Mack's trilogy with 'The Body Electric'. Now, I won't lie; I did not have high expectations of this book (read my reviews of the previous two books and you'll see why) and when I realised we were going to be dealing with Wesley Crusher (by far my least favourite Star Trek character ever) I could feel the bar lowering. But, I persevered (Dad always taught me 'you don't know you don't like something unless you try it') and got the book. When the first words of Chapter 1 were "Wesley Crusher...", there was a very loud voice in my head screaming at me to run and never look back; but with Dad's words echoing in my ears, I shrugged off the little devil on my shoulder and read on... and I am very glad I did.
Plot in a nutshell; Wesley encounters the Machine (a giant space killing thing that sucks in and destroys entire star systems), his fellow Travellers decide that it is above their pay-grade and bravely run like hell, so Wesley goes to seek help from... you guessed it, the crew of the good ship Enterprise, another ship of androids throws a spanner or two in the works, Picard and the crew come up with an 11th hour plan that inevitably saves the day and indeed the whole galaxy. Oh, and Data (if anyone actually still cares at this point) is still searching for the scientist who can help revive Lal who is conveniently on the android ship.
Don't ask me how he did it, but David Mack has actually managed to make Wesley Crusher tolerable in this book. I still don't like the character (Mack's good but he's not a miracle worker), but he doesn't annoy the hell out me the way in did in the past. This whole book feels much more complete than the previous two offerings; it is well paced and (even though the plot twists weren't entirely unexpected) the book held my interest throughout. As the 'villain' of the piece, it would have been all too easy to turn the Machine into a cheap Borg-esque rip off. Instead, they go down a different route with it and you end up with while no means a sympathetic antagonist, certainly one whose point of view you can see (once you get passed the mass murder and destruction) The androids, on the other hand, I got pretty sick of them pretty quickly. I can see why they were there, but they didn't comes across as all that pivotal; I could see ways Mack could have worked without them to get where he needed to go. This book also has little throw-away details that I liked that, while not necessary to the plot overall, just made my inner-fanboy smile; details like Worf being offered the chance of promotion or Q's cameo appearance. Once again, Mack nails the characterisation of the Next Gen crew that we all know.
But, I'm afraid the damage is already done. As far as I'm concerned 'Cold Equations' falls flat as a trilogy. If it was absolutely necessary to bring Data back from the dead, most of the material you needed was in Book 1 and could have been convincingly stretched out to fill out a trilogy in itself. Book 1 should have ended with the discover that Data's creator was now an android, Book 2 could have ended with the death of Lt. Choudhury (if it was felt absolutely necessary) and then Book 3 should have been when Data was resurrected. The Machine could still have been used as the impending threat that (from the story's POV) made Data's resurrection not just a dream but a necessity. Instead, we are left with 3 books that don't really hang together that well as a trilogy (one of which really belonging in a different set of books altogether).
'The Body Electric' is, in my humble opinion, the best of the three (not perfect, but it's merits outweigh it's flaws). But I am left with one small niggle (hardly worth mentioning, but it bugs me so why not); it is not a Worf-driven story... so why is he on the cover? That's a bit of a tease.

5.0 out of 5 stars The continuing voyages of the starship enterprise, 12 Aug 2013
Fantastic read the culmination in the cold equations series which also beautifully sets up the next series of novels coming in August.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disapointed, 1 Aug 2013
Having read all three cold equations books the third one proved to be a let down. A strange back story of a relationship with a chen and then Wesley solves a problem all the other travelers have been unable to. Real not up to much at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Man verus Machine, 26 July 2013
In the present computer age and all the gadgets its a warning to see where they could take over but hearting to see where it treated well man can work with the machines instead of fighting them as in terminator

5.0 out of 5 stars Cold equations, 18 April 2013
A brilliant series what with its twists and turns. It's great that data and lal are reborn. Also it was nice that westley made an appearance a must buy worth every penny I spent. I read the three books in a couple of days could not put them down.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good follow on read, 7 April 2013
A good holiday read for star trek fans. I found it slow to start but enjoyed the story in the end

ARRAY(0x10472fd8)