Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 23 February 2013
I have recently bought the DVD box set of Prime Suspect staring Helen Mirren and loved it, so I thought I might try the book version. I was not dissapointed!!! It was just as good as the series and took me less that a day to read as it was so fantastic. The book follows the original series of Prime Suspect very closly, even down to the dialogue, but gives a few more details of the case, and character background info (Especially characters like Otley and Shefford). There is also more of Janes homelife.
The plot is easy to follow and full of twists and turns. I would definatly recomend this to fans of crime fiction.

I cant wait to start book 2!
on 18 February 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed the TV production (1991), starring Helen Mirren, of Lynda LaPlante’s ‘Prime Suspect 1’. Consequently, for me, this book is peopled by those actors, not a bad thing in this case.
Jane Tennison is displayed almost from her entrance as an vulnerable person covering up by driving herself to the limit and beyond in her job. She really has no friends – with the doubtful exception of Maureen Havers – and realises that, as a woman, she is being side-lined. So, perhaps like Margaret Thatcher, she out-does many men in her ruthless drive, like rushing to take over when a colleague drops dead; again like the late Prime Minister, on occasion the mask slips (in this case, her sympathy for the ‘toms’ and her attempts to approach the little son of Peter). Men act out the same sort of pantomime – Jane’s lover, Peter, covers up his fears of bankruptcy, co-exists with a woman so totally focused on her job as to be useless to him, and is tortured by doubts and regret regarding his broken marriage (torn between blaming himself and his ‘treacherous’ best friend. Sergeant Otley is so obsessed with his ‘guvner’ DCI Shefford that he obstructs police work to protect him, even after the DCI’s death. Superintendent Kernan sits on the fence, trying to be fair despite inner prejudices, but often holding cards so closely to his chest as to bewilder his subordinates. On the other side,George Marlow dodges facing reality by lying to the whole world, including himself.
The world displayed in this book is a grim one in which all women appear to be lumped together in a box labelled ‘Available For……..’ (fill in as required); in which police investigations are twisted to win a bet or driven to hound a suspect because….. (fill in according to the EVIDENCE); where families and the wider society appear often as discrete islands separated by silent antagonism. Not a nice world which makes the likes of DCI Tennison so necessary (like ‘Dirty Harry’ in San Francisco);not quite Dystopia but heading that way.
The style is crisp, the dialogue good and the characterisation by no means stereotyped. An excellent read. I read this book in an anthology of three Prime Suspect cases and it makes me want to read the other two (whose TV versions I didn’t enjoy as much!). One odd feature occurs in my copy: on pages 35 and 98 the word ‘delay’ appears as ‘Dellay’ – the reverse of the normal Word-Checker error and perhaps due to the name of one victim, ‘Della’. Does this error occur in other editions?
on 22 January 2013
Excellent book. thorougly recommend to all Lynda La Plante's fans. Will not disappoint. Eagerly awaiting Prime Suspect 2. due to be released in March on kindle
on 1 February 2013
I absolutely love Lynda La Plante books. All her books are gripping from beginning to end and this is no exception. Cant wait for the next part 2 to come out.
on 30 December 2013
I chose 3 stars because I thought the story was going to be better than it was and because it's not a very long book. Was quite shocked when it downloaded to my Kindle and I read it really quickly. I've read nearly every crime book Lynda la Plante has wrote especially the Anna Travis series and I have to say that I prefer Anna to Jane. It's still along the same lines as the Anna Travis books i.e female detective solving crimes. The main thing that got me was the fact that the murderer was practically known from the start and it was more about convicting him. Would recommend if you like Lynda la Plante though.
on 22 February 2014
Very realistic tale, felt like one of the team looking for clues. Had to finish the book could not leave it for a moment. I gave it four stars because some descriptions were too graphic and realistic for me.
on 9 March 2014
Even though I knew the story from watching the TV show, I still found the book gripping and exciting. I was familiar with the characters, however they are more in depth. Very enjoyable read.
on 14 February 2014
Couldn't put this down but there again I feel the same way about everything she writes. Will carry on looking for more.
on 1 March 2014
I thought this was the best of her books, the plot was great and the police work easily her best.
VINE VOICEon 2 June 2014
This was my first foray into the novels of Linda LaPlante and I didn't watch the TV series. The obvious comment is that it's dated on a number of levels and these tend to transcend the plot. Jane Tennison is a prototype, trying to make it in a man's world where there is plenty of chauvinism. Some of this took my breath away even though I'd worked in that world but forgotten the sexist comments, louche behaviour towards women. Then there's the smoke-filled rooms....lots of non- PC attitudes which I don't mind, not being a fan of PC, but somehow it detracted from the enjoyment of the book. Jane Tennison didn't have much appeal as a character apart from her sheer determination to succeed. I found her quite irksome but this is more about reading the book out of real time than Linda LaPlante's skill so I'm happy to give it 4****.