4.0 out of 5 stars Re-incarnation, reality or fantasy?
Published on 25 Jun 2004 by J. Glen

2.0 out of 5 stars Many Questions, Many Doubts
Published on 24 May 2012 by discriminator

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-incarnation, reality or fantasy?, 25 Jun 2004
J. Glen "Jeanette Glen" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a most intriguing book, it whilst telling the story of Dr. Weiss and his patient, Catherine, poses so many questions it is difficult to know where to start. There are no answers given in this narrative, the reader will have to seek them out for him or herself. That said if you have no knowledge about re-incarnation this book will whet your appetite to learn more. It is written in the most accessible language possible, I devoured it in two late night readings and was loth to put it down. It does have a most attractive hypothesis, after all who would not be attracted by the thought of a type of immortality, but that is only a minor part of the whole.
The book is essentially reinforcing the idea that the individual is responsible for the choices he/she has made in life, if the wrong choices are made and lessons are not learnt from them, then any future existence will have to revisit those issues until the appropriate lessons have been learnt. This is not new-age mumbo jumbo but a serious look at the nature of existence and personal responsibility, why we are here, lead the lives we do, make the choices we make.
I used the word intriguing at the beginning of this review quite deliberately. I have read this book once and am just about to re-read it and I will almost certainly get more out of it the second time around. I will equally certainly go to to read other books on the same/similar subjects.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those open to the concept of reincarnation, 27 July 2004
DAVID-LEONARD WILLIS (Thessaloniki Greece) - See all my reviews
Weiss, Chief of Psychiatry at a large university-affiliated hospital in Miami, first met 27 year old Catherine in 1980 when seeking help for her anxiety, panic attacks and phobias. For 18 months he used conventional methods without success but then in a series of hypnotic trance states Catherine recalled past-life memories that proved to be the causative factors of her symptoms leading to her cure within a few months. She did not believe in reincarnation but acted as a conduit for secrets of life and death from highly evolved spirit entities, some of which were specifically for him. Weiss's life would never be the same again.
When the guide described artifacts at an Egyptian exhibit she found herself correcting him and at the next treatment Weiss regressed her, asking her to recall earlier ages; "Go back to the time from which your symptoms arise." "We live in a valley; there is no water; the year is 1863 B.C. The area is barren, hot and sandy. There is a well, no rivers. Water comes into the valley from the mountains. There are big waves knocking down trees. There's no place to run. It's cold; the water is cold. I have to save my baby, but I cannot; just have to hold her tight. I drown; the water chokes me." In later sessions he found that her experience of death in her many lives was similar each time. A conscious part of her would leave the body around the moment of death, floating above and then being drawn to a wonderful, energizing light. She would then wait for someone to come and help her. The soul automatically passed on. Weiss investigated references to reincarnation. "In A.D. 325 the Roman emperor Constantine the Great, along with his mother, Helena, had deleted references to reincarnation contained in the New Testament. The Second Council of Constantinople, meeting in A.D. 553, confirmed this action and declared the concept of reincarnation a heresy. Apparently, they thought this concept would weaken the growing power of the Church by giving humans too much time to seek their salvation. Yet the original references had been there; the early Church fathers had accepted the concept of reincarnation. The early Gnostics - Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Saint Jerome, and many others - believed they had lived before and would again."
Between sessions Catherine became more psychic, having intuitions about people and events that proved to be true. Her father, expressing doubt about what was happening, was amazed when she picked the winner of every race, although she gave the winnings to a poor person as she knew that her new spiritual powers should not be used for financial gain. She recalled periods between lives. "I am aware of a bright light. It's wonderful; you get energy from this light." She then spoke in a different voice. "Our task is to learn, to become God-like through knowledge. We know so little. You are here to be my teacher. I have so much to learn. By knowledge we approach God, and then we can rest. Then we can come back to teach and help others." "They tell me there are many gods, for God is in each of us." She later identified the masters, highly evolved souls not presently in body, as the source. They could speak to him through her. Although he had kept a strictly professional distance, telling nothing about his personal life, Catherine explained the deeper meaning - payment of karmic debts and teaching lessons - of the one-in-ten million heart defect that caused the death of his first born child when 23 days old. "Catherine could not possible know this information. There was no place even to look it up." "Who tells you these things?" "The Master Spirits tell me. They tell me that I have lived eighty-six times in physical state." He pondered the miraculous messages and the implications. " The light after death and the life after death; our choosing when we are born and when we will die; the sure and unerring guidance of the masters; lifetimes measured in lessons learned and tasks fulfilled, not in years; charity, hope, faith, and love; doing without expectation of return - this knowledge was for me. But for what purpose? What was I sent here to accomplish?" He realized that faults are not important - love is. He did not need to try to be perfect or in control all the time. There was no need to impress anyone.
Psychiatrists use high doses of tranquilizers and antidepressant medicines to treat people with Catherine's symptoms whereas under Weiss's hypnosis treatment she became radiant, serene, and happy beyond his wildest hopes. This book will be of interest to anyone open to the concept of reincarnation and the thought that each of us may have lived multiple lives. Could it be that we never die but pass through different phases? Could it be that time is not as we see time, but rather in lessons learned. Could it be that guardian angels want to help us, especially to overcome the fear of death? Could it be that acts of violence and injustice will have to be repaid in kind in other lifetimes? Could it be that greed, manipulation and self-centeredness retard the progress of the soul? Could it be that our body is just a vehicle while our souls and spirit last for ever?

5.0 out of 5 stars Make the world a better place - read this book, 16 Mar 2004
Since my teens, I've been of the opinion that you you live, you die, you rot. Why should there be anymore to life?
Reading this book has completely changed my views on re-incarnation and made me a lot more open minded on the subject. I must have bought this book about 5 times, the reason being - nobody gives me the book back, and they've all given nothing but positive feed back. It's a well written, easy to digest, motivating read. Without a doubt it's changed my life for the better. Let it change yours too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Many Questions, Many Doubts, 24 May 2012
I came across this book in the library and having read it wondered what other people thought and was surprised at so many positive reviews. Initially it is quite startling but to my mind does not stand up to careful thought. The doubts start from early into the book (p27 in fact). On her first hypnosis session where she was regressed to beyond her present life, when asked what year it was she said 1863BC!!! Well now, how did she know it was 1863 years before Christ?! She would have said, if as a peasant she knew at all, that it was the nth year in the reign of Pharaoh Senusret III. Next, to prove to her father that all she was experiencing was true she took him to the racecourse and picked the winner of every race! This is absolutely phenominal and of great scientific interest in its own right, 10% score above chance is considered interesting and 20% very interesting and quite exciting, yet 'scientist' Dr Weiss pays 100% correct score scant attention as though it was nothing exceptional. There are many more such questions and doubts throughout the book. Why didn't Dr Weiss try and get 'Catherine' to be more specific to enable facts, places and dates to be checked? Nowhere is there any concrete fact or place to give these regressions to past lives credence, he has just uncritically accepted everything that Catherine or 'The Masters' told him. In fact had he done some research into similar regressions he would have discovered that mostly where such specific information is given it rarely ties in with known facts. One part of the book is true, it certainly changed Dr Weiss's life as we now find Dr Weiss the showman on cruise ships with mass regressions - "Roll up! Roll up! Discover what you were in your past life" and so on and seminars at £200+ where presumably people are treated to the same. Not only that he can now fast forward people to a future (progression?) many thousands of years hence - having forgotten that The Masters told him via Catherine that humanity hasn't got much of a future. Dr Moody's book "Life After Life" I did find extremely interesting and did lead me on to a voyage of discovery, not so with Dr Weiss.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stories of reincarnation, 12 Nov 2009
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss, Simon and Schuster, New York, 1988; Piatkus, London, 1994, 224 ff.

Stories of Reincarnation
By Howard A. Jones

This book presents the accounts of supposed past lives by a patient, Catherine, as related by her under hypnosis to psychiatrist Brian Weiss. Catherine was a twenty-seven year old laboratory technician when the therapy sessions began. During the sessions, as well as recalling incidents from past lives, Catherine also claimed to be receiving messages about eternal truths of life and death from spirit guides called the Masters. The Masters claim that Catherine has lived eighty-six lives previously on Earth. Weiss is a graduate of Columbia University and Yale Medical School, a psychiatrist whose practice was in Miami, Florida at the time this book was written.

The book is a fascinating read, but as it is almost entirely anecdotal, unless I believed in the possibility of reincarnation (from the researches of Ian Stevenson and others, much more rigorously investigated and referred to in this book) I don't think I would find this presentation persuasive - interesting but not convincing, because there is little by way of independent supporting evidence to back up the stories told by Catherine. One of the more rationally convincing of the stories gives Weiss details of his own family (his deceased father and son) that she would have no other logical way of knowing about.

The claim to be acquainted with people from her present life that she knew in previous incarnations is supported by a familiar contention from other studies that `groups of souls tend to reincarnate together again and again', as if there were some kind of communal karma that has to be worked out amongst the group or family.

It cannot be said that this is a scientific investigation. It is a presentation of a mass of self-consistent detail, not accurate in every respect, but compatible with accounts from other patients under a state of hypnotic regression.

Dr Howard A. Jones is the author of The Thoughtful Guide to God (O Books, 2006), The Tao of Holism (O Books, 2008), and The World as Spirit (Fairhill Publishing, 2011)

Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives
Life Between Lives: Hypnotherapy for Spiritual Regression

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking!, 20 Mar 2008
As I am neither a full believer in that which we can not see, nor am i a full blown skeptic, I felt i was facing this book with an open mind. It is very well written and if you are to believe in what it says, it is a beautiful thing to feel is both ahead of us and behind us!
Dr. Weiss fails in only one place for me - He does not clearly show how he came to so strongly believe this lady was not 'pulling the wool over his eyes'. Apart from the comment about his son, noothing else really makes me feel this could be a definite truth. He mentions that he checked up dates and etc. she was speaking of, but never elaborates on this which left me feeling slightly frustrated.
I must state here that I am being slightly over-negative towards the book here and am really nit-picking.
On a more open point, it really is thought provoking and is thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. It paints a lovely picture of the possibilities which may face us in the afterlife.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very powerful and enlightening book, 15 Jun 2000
By A Customer
Since reading this book I have encouraged about 5 other people to read it all of whom have said it has had an impact on their lives. I only hope that more people who suffer from phobias etc can be helped by using these methods. It makes me wonder who I have been before, and more importantly the type of person I want to be again. I hope that I may live in my current physical state striving to become a better person, so that next time around I start with qualities I dont currently possess

5.0 out of 5 stars You will want to buy it for everyone you love, 17 Oct 2001
This book has got to be the best informative read that my eyes have ever looked upon.
So many authers have told tales and given advice in so many different ways but at the center of them all, they are saying the same thing!
Many lives Many Masters, allows you to read a gripping story and at the same time teaches basic rules of how to live a beautiful life with minimum effort.
It is a book that contains knowledge that you will want to share with every one you love and care for.

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, 23 Sep 2008
Weedar (Oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
This books tells the story of the author's therapy sessions with a woman he calls "Catherine". She is a young woman suffering from anxiety, fear of water, swallowing pills, et cetera. After having tried treating her with conventional therapy for 18 months, he tries hypnosis. Lo and behold, they discover a couple of repressed traumatic events in her past! But it doesn't help. Not until he takes her even further back into a past life. And so it goes...

When it comes to regression, there are numerous theories as to what really happens, and I started reading this book with an open mind and a keen interest in finding out what theory would best fit this story. Some believe there is an akashic field or a collective subconscious which contains the memories of other people's lives and that such memories are experienced in regression. Others believe that we have lived multiple lives. Since I am interested in the paranormal, Out of Body Experiences, Near-Death experiences et cetera, I was looking forward to an engaging read.

Unfortunately, I do not believe the author, a fact that renders all kinds of theorizing superfluous. In my opinion, he is quite simply lying. Catherine, and the spiritual masters speaking through her, are inventions of the authors mind. She is a paper thin non-person, the narrative is incredibly one-dimensional, lacking in about every detail. The author constantly refers to his own scientific background and critical mindedness, and yet even a child can see through some of his "she could not possibly have known" - arguments.

There exists a great body of anecdotal evidence that these kinds of past life experiences do happen. I am not disputing that. I am not saying that near-death experiences are hallucinations either. I am convinced that we are more than our physical bodies.

All I am saying is that this book is a waste of time. It is a novel, not a true story, and a poorly written one at that. It could have been more entertaining if the author had bothered doing some research before he wrote it. Details and character development is foreign to this writer. As it stands, this rubbish could have been written by a teenager as a school writing assignment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 26 Feb 2004
TheHighlander (Richfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Book: Many Lives, Many Masters
Writer: Brian Weiss
Format: Paperback
Length: 219 pages
Rating: ***** (5 stars, outstanding)
What an interesting book! Brian Weiss is an M.D. and chief of psychiatry at a hospital. He is well educated and has an outstanding career. He and his wife are happily married although they have experienced some personal tragedy in their family. When into his life walks a reluctant patient.
Through hypnosis Dr. Weiss uncovers previous lives of this patient, Catherine, who is struggling with some issues in her life. The book is basically a transcript of what happened and what was said throughout Catherine's treatment and it is very interesting.
Even if you don't believe in reincarnation the book puts forth legitimate issues and thought processes. It tries to explain that we should be patient, we should not kill, we should follow the commandments of the major religions. The book enforces the belief in a God, no matter what you call it. Energy, soul, spirit, God, the Master, it is all the same with different names.
I picked up this book and could not put it down, I read it in two evenings. It is an easy read but also a very engrossing read. I book that puts forth many ideas. The facts that we are destroying nature and ecosystems and it could lead to our demise.
It reinforces the belief that life continues after death for our soul, our energy but it takes it even farther to offer "proof" for the thought process of our souls living many lives. There will be folks that will tear it down and say that it is not proof (technically it is not) but it is interesting to consider. It offers more food for thought.
Bottom line, no matter which side of the reincarnation debate you fall on I think you should read this book. For information, for knowledge either for your argument for or to be prepared for your argument against. No matter how you slice it, this is a great book, a book that should be read by anyone, from teens on up. For the knowledge, the thought process, or the denial of it all. Read it, enjoy it.