5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from J.L. Bourne
Loved it. A departure from the writing style of the first two books but still great. Hope you write another Mr B.
Published on 27 Jan. 2013 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars written too fast; plot was murdered along the way
Published on 14 Jan. 2013 by T. Ryckmans

2.0 out of 5 stars written too fast; plot was murdered along the way, 14 Jan. 2013
T. Ryckmans "TR" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Day by Day Armageddon: Shattered Hourglass (Kindle Edition)
Have you ever seen a small child doing something clumsily and far too rapidly, because he really, really needs to pee? This third book gave me the same impression. The end is so rushed it takes a few shortcuts with the narrative from the previous books; it feels the author could not get this project off his desk fast enough. The writing is okay, similar to the previous books but written from different points of view; the real issue is that the author tried to find a closure for his book in the last few pages. Sad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Jan. 2013
Not much to add to the disappointed reviews here - the author really let his material run away with him, and there is plenty of evidence that the ending was hurried. Not sure I will return even if the author's evident lack of interest is overcome and he is persuaded to write a fourth in the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 8 Jan. 2013
This is an extremely poor conclusion to a series that was so promising.

Please note, spoilers inside...

The whole Remote 6 thing is very badly - if at all - wrapped up, there's no real satisfactory ending, and the whole thing feels very forced/inexplicable. Random addition of characters with no real tying together, a change in the writing style, sorry to say but this is very very poor.

I loved the first book, enjoyed the second, but this is just a disaster in comparison.

Annoyed I even wasted the time to read it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shattered Expectations, 29 Jan. 2013
I just want to start by saying that I'm a big fan of J.L. Bourne and his first two novels. I don't remember many books that held my attention enough to finish them in one sitting, but his first effort did just that. His second, while not as good as the first, still had me completing it over a couple of days. Now, onto Shattered Hourglass.

*** This may contain some spoilers ***

When I first started reading SH I wasn't prepared for the shift in writing style. This 3rd person viewpoint was certainly jarring. Here's my first major problem. I've never encountered a series where the author decides to change his point of view style 2/3s of the way through. I'm surprised the publisher allowed him to do this. If he wanted to explore other characters and themes--why not complete the series we've been reading, with the characters we've come to care about first, then start a new series, with differing pov. But no. J.L. Bourne's writing lets him down in this current pov style. He's main strength lies in the diary form of the first two books. The prose is at times weak, and the characters are barebones and two-dimensional. While reading, I didn't really care about any of the characters, even the protagonist from the first two.

I don't want to mention too much about the plot, but the ending felt rushed, like he just ran out of time. The thing I loved the most about his first two efforts was that I felt like I was there, slogging it out with the MC. He wrote vividly and most of all, it felt authentic. The only thing which has stopped me giving SH a One Star is because of his previous works. If J.L decides to write more, then I'll only be reading on the condition he goes back to his main strength, diary form narration. For me, he's created a fantastic story, with likable characters, but just doesn't have the ability to tell the story effectively through third person pov. Perhaps my disappointment is leading me to being overly critical but I really had high hopes for Shattered Hourglass.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed, and very bad ending....., 1 Mar. 2013
The 1st book was fantastic, the 2nd was good if not great, but this one is......well it just doesn't seem to go anywhere, the writing style is different from the 1st 2 books which i found strange for an author to do. As for the story it felt like the author didn't know were to take it so sent the characters on missions that always ended up with no further development to the story, like he was just filling pages and the end of the story feels very rushed as do some other parts of the book. A very disappointing conclusion to the other 2 books. The author mentions they may not be another book in this series, I for one will not lose any sleep over that after this effort.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 21 Mar. 2013
As others have also stated I loved the 1st book and enjoyed the 2nd...the 3rd is like a different author wrote it

I accept this is no longer written as a Journal, but its just boring and uninspired

After I finished it I went back to the first book as I could not believe the difference. After picking up the 1st book I am now re-reading it (sign of a good book)

My advice is forget the 3rd book, it does not close the series in any satisfactory way . Read the part 1 and 2 then quit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 Mar. 2013
The weakest of the DBDA books. The change in style of writing did not help but the feeling that the author rushed the writing is even worst. If you are a fan of the previous books you will be disappointed. What a shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but can't help but be a bit disappointed..., 23 Mar. 2013
I am a big fan of the series, but I felt very mixed feelings about this latest release.

If you have not gathered from other reviews, the writing style has shifted from the 'writing in a journal' first person perspective that we're all familiar with, into the more conventional third person format. Some people seem to have a big problem with this, but I believe this was a necessary step in order to adequately convey the ever expanding universe Bourne has created, which allow the inclusion of more characters and scenarios that frankly I don't think could have been done in the old style from books 1+2.
Less of the book included the main protagonist, and with that the feeling of being right there with him was also lost. However, the book still carried at the same pace as the others, and Bourne did a good job at keeping this a page turner by getting you interested in the new characters in a relatively short amount of time.
Unfortunately the ending was very disappointing. The majority of the book moved at a steady pace, with plenty of detail about the characters, the environment, and the situation itself. The last couple of chapters however, felt as if the author saw the end in sight and began to rush, or perhaps he was up against time constraints and had to get the book finished? Who knows....All I know is that for me this book was only ever going to be about the ending; I was hoping for the main protagonist that we know and love to be part of one final mission that would have him in a scenario more hopeless than any other, something that would render me unable to put the book down - this was not the case.

I am sad that this highly enjoyable series has ended, but the fact is the last few chapters not only let the book down, but also let down the entire series. It is for this reason I rate it 3 stars instead of what could have been a decent 4.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed - The author got bored or grew tired of the pressure to supply another instalment., 3 Feb. 2013
I loved the first two books. The diary format made them addictive to read. The loss of that formula in book three isn't a major problem as the story for the most part remains interesting and the sense of urgency is still there. But what a let down. The whole thing at the end is wrapped up over about fourty pages. From remote six to the recovering of 'chang' everything is just bought to a close in what can only be described as a far too easy and convenient way. And the mystery was thickening as it went along too. It's as if the author just thought ok, enough's enough, i'm bored of doing this now. Or maybe folded to pressure to put something out there and got tired of feeling like he was under the lash to do so. If this was a bridge in the story, there was no appaling ending and there was a book four somewhere in the future then i'd have given it five stars but as it is it's just an awful anticlimax to what started out as a refreshingly unique take on the zombie theme.

4.0 out of 5 stars A LESS INTENSE NOVEL, 19 Feb. 2013
I loved the other two books, and really thought I was in for a brill read. Sadly, I felt a little bit lost as the impetus of the book seemed to lose the plot slightly. It was still a good read, just sadly to much toing and froing out of the bunker and instructions that lost me in the plot, I think that they were looking for something to change the world, or where they set up. Still not sure really.