5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Additional Post Charges To Obtain!!!
Published on 19 July 2012 by Bookaholic

2.0 out of 5 stars Hugely disappointing
I've read every book in this series, and while inevitably some are better than others, I was hugely disappointed by this. Incredibly slow to get going, it felt like Baldwin-by-numbers - 2 dimensional characters or characters which simply didn't grow or develop at all during the course of the story. Unfortunately, the one exception was a character from previous books who...
Published on 2 July 2012 by emailqueen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Additional Post Charges To Obtain!!!, 19 July 2012
Bookaholic "prussblue" (St. Louis area, MO USA) - See all my reviews
As usual, I won't write a *synopsis* as the publisher already has. Fellow readers want to know if someone liked the book and if it is worth trying. I could not wait until "City of Fiends" was available to me so paid the post fees to obtain it early. It was worth the extra cost! I confess that I was concerned about how aging main characters would hold up. I was, however, glad to see that they held up quite well and hopefully will do so in the future. I believe it was about six years ago that I found my first title in the series and was prompted to hunt down the earlier titles in the series not to mention other Jecks titles. Consequently, I have them all. Jecks is a remarkable author both in terms of historical research efforts and in the ability to create plausible and good stories inside of the historical framework used. He is truly remarkable on both counts and I admire his vigor and talent. I believe he holds himself to high standards of writing. At least, that is what I perceive. I will not criticize how he handles some characters as all characters have a bit of good as well as bad in them. Sometimes, the scale tips more one way than the other. That being said, I can't wait until the next Jecks title in or out of this series! Addendum: I purchased the hardcover edition as it is worth saving!

5.0 out of 5 stars city of fiends, 18 July 2012
Angela Lyon "ally" (cambrideshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: City of Fiends (Kindle Edition)
I have read all the books in the series and have enjoyed all of them imcluding the ones that have more of an historical content than the charecters. This book however I felt was the best ever with a suprise ending and now cannot wait for the next one to be released

5.0 out of 5 stars this is was a cracking good read! It's a finely crafted medieval whodunit that ..., 23 July 2014
This review is from: City of Fiends (Kindle Edition)
In short, this is was a cracking good read!

It's a finely crafted medieval whodunit that manages to convey the thorough research underpinning it and still remain a gripping page-turner.

The characters are beautifully drawn and memorable. The villains are about as nasty as they come but our protagonists, flawed as they are in some ways, will seem like dear friends by the end. You'll miss them when you close the back cover. Fortunately they all appear in other books in the series.

There is murder, intrigue, viciousness, greed and duplicity. There is also a somewhat world-weary compassion, sensitivity and determination to see justice done. The plot will keep you guessing to the last twist. The period is evoked in delicious detail without succumbing to too much description in the prose. It's tightly plotted, nicely written.

If, above all, you value top-notch storytelling and a writer who has complete command of his craft - this will not disappoint.

I shall be getting my hands on another of these gems as soon as I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jeck's at his best., 26 Jan 2014
Calix Imperium, Roma Victrix Pewter wine beaker
Set in 1327 England, Jecks's 31st Knights Templar mystery (after 2011's King's Gold) is a textbook example of how to blend action and detection in a historical novel. Supporters of Edward II, who was forced to abdicate and then imprisoned at Berkeley Castle in Gloucestershire, are trying to free him. Meanwhile, as the historical record suggests, Bishop Berkeley, whose brother is the monarch's jailer, dies under suspicious circumstances. Fear about an uncertain future means that "all over the kingdom people went about in a state of constant worry." Against this tumultuous backdrop, the savage murder of a maid in Exeter comes to the attention of coroner Sir Richard de Welles and Sir Baldwin de Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace. The complex truth behind the slaughter of the clergyman and the servant will satisfy readers as Jecks logically reconciles all the different plot elements by the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as expected, 1 Sep 2013
Another book in Michael Jecks Templar Knights Series - you are missing out if you have not started reading this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet?, 23 Aug 2013
Anthony Hedges (East Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
I have read all of the Knights Templar series with varying degrees of pleasure - mostly good be it said - over the years, but to my mind this is the best of them. The pervading feeling and subject matter is much darker than any of the previous books, which gives it a strikingly different and individual atmosphere. The plot is complex but not in a manner that confuses the reader; indeed the structure and narrative writing is so beautifuly crafted that it is hard to put it down, the end of each section pulling the reader into the next one. That will happen next? You really want to find out! The suggestion at the end that Baldwin intends to retire as Keeper of the King's Peace is thankfully tempered with the hint that he may be offered a different post. If this book is to be the end of the series, then the series ends on a high note. But I for one hope for more excellent novels with the same main protagonists even though their circumstances may change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 10 July 2013
This review is from: City of Fiends (Kindle Edition)
Another excellent historical whodunit from this series. Well crafted and believable. If you like the period one not to miss

4.0 out of 5 stars Last of the line?, 26 May 2013
I have the feeling this is the last of the line, and while it was a good yarn and didn't disappoint, I feel it may be just as well, although I'd be pleased to find a new hero pursuing the reign of Edward III. The jumping from one scene to another gets a bit too frequent in this volume, not one of the best but a worthy and necessary read if you've followed the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics, 15 Jun 2012
Grey Lady (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I always enjoy stories from the Sir Baldwin series, but the last few entries seemed to be dominated by politics, instead of a mystery. But this story is more like the series of old, with some of the political context included but not overwhelmingly so. And I am pleased for although I was always quite interested in the context (and indeed it still is in here as well), I do feel that the story should focus more on the characters involved in the detective part of the story: the families, the motivations for murder, and so on. So to me, this return to a more mystery focused story is very welcome.

I did regret the rather drastic change in the character Sir Charles of Lancaster. Always ruthless and not afraid to kill, he has just turned into an ordinary thug in this story. This is not the man who grieved for the loss of his companion Paul in France, or who aided Simon and Sir Baldwin in other stories where he was shown as a hard man, but honourable. This last is sincerely compromised in this story although his loyalty to Sir Edward is laudable. But that he just randomly kills, and lets his men act as they do is totally contrary to earlier encounters!

Finally, I liked the ending. Sir Baldwin is getting old, so perhaps a new role for him might be a good thing. All specualtion of course, but a nice kind of cliffhanger was put in all the same. And wouldn't it be great if Simon could get prosperous one again in the future? We will have to wait and see!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jecks continues to excite and amaze, 19 Jan 2013
Just when you think things can't get any better in a series of stories another one comes along and you are swept away by the masterful plot in the grande scheme of things and in the specific story. A masterpiece of historical crime fiction.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›