4.0 out of 5 stars Internal SATA DVD Drive
Bought an earlier model from Asus the 24B3ST. as I liked that product when I tried to purchase a second, I found that it has been replaced by the 24B5ST and I was not dissapointed. It was easy to fit but I would recommend for ease you also purchase a Latched Serial ATA (SATA II) 3.0Gb Right Angled Data Cable - 45cm, it helps when fitting in a tight space in your tower
Published on 7 Aug 2012 by Brian

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't write CD-R reliably
Published 18 months ago by lapi

4.0 out of 5 stars Internal SATA DVD Drive, 7 Aug 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it claims, 8 Jan 2013
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive (DVD-ROM)
This is an internal 24-speed DVD-writing drive from Asus, a lightweight (730g) and well finished unit, this has standard mounting fittings along the sides and the standard power & data plug configuration at the rear. There is a large green-LED on the front to indicate read/write access and the whir of the drive opening is moderately loud. The drive is plug & play compatible too.

A quality little DVD writer, for a price that you cannot beat. Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super drive, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive (DVD-ROM)
I needed a drive to replace one which had become faulty in my machine. Ordered this and it arrived next day. I simply unplugged the old drive and inserted this one in its place. Windows 7 automatically found and installed the necessary drivers so it worked without further intervention. Have now written several DVD's with it and played plenty of CDs and it's working superbly. In short, quick hassle free installation and a great drive. Would happily recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus DRW-24x Sata DVD drive., 13 April 2013
"Bilgescraper" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive (DVD-ROM)
Although I don't tend to burn a lot of DVD's or CD's I do need the ability in my desktop PC. So when during a recent rebuild [with a new Asus motherboard] I needed to replace a rather slow DVD ROM I decided to opt for an Asus drive to match the motherboard. As it turned out a very wise choice!

Naturally the deck will cope with a wide range of media including Audio CD, Video CD, CD-I, CD-Extra, Photo CD, CD-Text, CD-ROM/XA, Multi-session CD, BD video, DVD Video but do check the online specifications to see its full capability- [...].

This DVD deck is far faster than my old one, far smoother in operation, and offers additional software to keep your data safe by encryption. This is also a "green" energy saving accessory and Asus claim a 50% power saving over normal DVD drives.As a "gesture" to every customer Asus also offer 5GB of web storage, which is always useful.
Not cheap but a stunningly good well made buy - and it worked straight out of the box!

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus 24B5ST, 28 Mar 2013
W. Gaunt (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive (DVD-ROM)
I bought this drive in January 2013, for my first build (like a late Christmas present to myself!) and so far it has performed perfectly. It looks very nice in the Zalman Z9-U3 case and performs well with my AsRock FM2A75 PRO4 motherboard. It needed no set up other than connecting the cable and has read any disk I have given it. It does not seem to be overly noisy, but then when I watch films play games using the drive I have headphones on anyway. I cannot comment on any of the bundled software or anything else that came with it as I bought it OEM (a bit cheaper) and so did not receive any of these. I chose this over cheaper drives as ASUS was a well known brand and was very unlikely to be not of high quality.

All in all, a lovely piece of kit, and I am incredibly pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus VK222H DVD Writer, 6 Oct 2012
Mr. Dennis J. Harvey "acecom" (Staines, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive (DVD-ROM)
Amazon refers to this product as a "SATA DVD Drive" which possibly puts some Customers off buying.

Be assured though, this is a Writer in a full retail pack. I have owned a predecessor of this for 4 years (it's still going strong) but have bought a new one for my Windows 8 system. It's as well as not keeping an optical drive for too long. As they wear, the System will slow, accompanied by otherwise inexplicable unstable running.

That aside Asus, as so often have built a first class product so do pay the extra fiver and buy what is arguably the best DVD on the Market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive (DVD-ROM)
This works great :) It looks really nice, easy to install, no software etc everywhere. put it in, use it. Excellent quality :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drive, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive (DVD-ROM)
I like the e-green software that comes with this drive, its a good idea. Its nice and quiet, and does the job as you'd expect. Only issue was that the drive wasn't being recognized properly when I had Intel Rapid Storage drivers installed. Took them off and it's fine now. Please note that is had the same problem with my pioneer bluray drive aswell, not just this one. Apparently it can happen a lot

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't write CD-R reliably, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive (DVD-ROM)
I got one of these for a new computer. The drive wrote DVD+R media fine so it was a surprise that it could not handle reliably CD+R. Admittedly the CD+R media is a bit old (TDK d-view 16X) but I would expect any drive still to hanlde these. After two failed writes I got a Samsung SH-224BB drive, which is just a bit more expensive, to try the same media. Samsung wrote the disc without any problems. This Asus is a cheap choice, so don't expect it to do everything, but if you have to get everything done, maybe you would like to consider also some others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unit, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal SATA DVD Drive (DVD-ROM)
This is a great unit. The unit is solid and reliable and looks well finished. Great price too. Would highly recommend.