on 11 April 2012
This. Was. Amazing! I was so shocked at how much I enjoyed this book, and I'm also shocked at how few people have read this.

The points of view in this novel switch between Peyton and Chase, and also from 'Then' and 'Now', so we get to see inside both of their heads at two completely different times. This was great because it showed the changes that the two characters had gone through since the Plague hit, and how they are now. It also shows how some things are still the same.

I really liked both Peyton and Chase (okay, I adored him, but whatever). I may have almost cried at one point towards the end because I just loved them both so much and their relationship had had so many bumps. I was just thinking "When is this going to end?!"

I also loved Tank (or Trey), Chase's older brother. He was the 'leader' of their little group of kids and he was so adorable. I also liked the other secondary characters such as Helga and David, although we didn't see too much of them. The only character that I despised was Peyton's father, and I felt so sorry for her and her mother at times because he was just such a prat.

There were lots of twists in this book, some that I was expected and some that I definitely wasn't! The ending completely shocked me.

I really wasn't expecting Tomorrow Land to be as amazing as it was. It was a thrilling novel that was brilliantly written. It's definitely the best zombie novel I have read!

- Books of Amber
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 January 2016
I toyed between three and four stars for this book, so my rating is really 3.5 stars. There was so much I enjoyed, but sadly some of this was still dampened by a few things that I didn't like so much. Here's what I thought:

Set in the not too distant future, we are plunged into the world of refrigerators which remind you when they're getting empty, music systems that sense who is in the room and remember their favourite records, a breakthrough with the AIDS vaccine and exciting new techologies. Kids like Peyton, our leading lady, get the AIDS vaccine when they come of age, but Peyton hasn't done so yet. Which is lucky, because adults are dropping like flies, suffering from a terrible flu-like disease, and now some of the kids at Peytons school are too. The kids who have had the vaccine anyway! Very soon on all hell breaks lose and the world is full of zombies, immunes or people just lucky they've not become a meal yet.

There are two main characters within this novel. The first is Peyton, who has been living underground in a bunker with her mother since the outbreak. Her father, who seemed to know the apocalyse was on its way, performed some cybernetic modifications on Peyton to allow her to survive once the bunker is opened after four years. I loved this. The modifications made to her were pretty minor, just occular implants and razors under her nails, and were pretty underdeveloped in terms of an explanation. However, I thought it was a cool twist to the genre and tried to overlook the lack of information. Peyton, much like her enhancements, is pretty underdeveloped as a character too and sometimes I found her character a little two dimensional but she wasn't annoying so again this was easy to overlook.

The second main character is Chris, or Chase as he is otherwise known, who Peyton abandoned on the day of the outbreak in favour for the bunker. Chase is obviously no longer her biggest fan. Whilst surviving in a Walmart with his brother and a bunch of little kids, Chase had thought Peyton had probably died. Until the bunker opened and he found her wandering around in the open about to become zombie food. Chase is a more interesting character than Peyton, despite his overwhelming love of Peyton, and I enjoyed seeing his character develop and change as he met certain challenges. In particular, I was impressed with the way this author explored addiction in such a bleak environment.

I really enjoyed the way this book is structured. The narrative changes between past and present, which is a fantastic way of piecing together what happened before the outbreak with what's happening afterwards. It's a good way of developing the story and I enjoyed trying to tie the two stories together because they effectively ran as two separate stories for quite some time. Additionally the narrative is split again between Peyton and Chris/Chase. This was great, although not always well delineated, but fortunately they had quite distinct voices so it was easy to tell who was speaking.

I really was hooked throughout, but I can't say that this book was perfect. I expected an amateur feel to this book because I, I am ashamed to admit, judged this book by it's lousy cover. This didn't feel amateur at all though, the issue was that there was just not enough thought in too many places. Why does nobody struggle with loss particularly in this book? These people are losing their closest family members in such an awful way, and yet they don't appear to be all that bothered - particularly Peyton who is completely unaffected by any death to be honest.

I started to get annoyed by the lack of explanations after a while, in fact a lot of what could have been decent plot twists, were just given away within a few chapters. I became frustrated by things just having no effect on the storyline at all, like a gladiator-type event pegging zombies against humans, which is swiftly brushed under the carpet when it was an idea with so much promise. I also think that Mancusi had so many other good ideas, particularly the cybernetics and technology, which she could have really ran with but instead they were just hinted at which was a missed opportunity in my eyes.

I really don't think I can even comment on the ending, which was wrapped up in a whole two pages of complete rubbish that was not explained at all. I'm not even joking, we're genuinely just told the eventual outcome of the whole disease outbreak with no details whatsoever. Really disappointing, it felt so rushed when, again, the author could have done lots of different exciting twists on an ending of this nature.

Despite the fairly poor character development and the underwhelming plot twists, I did like this book. I thought the beginnning was so gripping and the structure kept me reading even when I had my doubts; I do recommend this book and will be reading the sequel. However, having read a lot of similar books in this genre, some of which have become my all time favourites (Ann Aguirre's Enclave, for example), it's hard to fall in love with a mediocre version of them. Although I would give this a read if you like fast paced plots, perhaps it's not for you if you like surprises and a more detailed narrative; I really hope the author plays on some of her more exciting ideas with the sequel.
on 13 March 2012
A post apocalyptic joy ride of horror, survival and romance.
I loved the book from the very start the technology in the world has now become amazingly advanced and the world seems all but perfected but Payton's dad is saying the world is going to come to an end and they all ended to be ready for the worst. Payton's friends think her dad is out of his mind. No one's laughing when some kind of illness out brakes and within a short time people are changing turning into zombie like monsters that are attacking anything that moves. The world went from save to deadly in a blink of an eye and I loved reading every second of it.

Over the course of the book each chapter flips from the past when the out brake happened to the future four year in front. Payton comes out of her safe bunker after four years and her mission is simply find her dad and start making their world again but the strangest thing happens she bumps into her long lost love the person she hurt the most before she was locked away in safety.

The book had lots of everything a post apocalyptic them with a great back story, Horror that makes you keep the light on. A touch of love that warmed your heart and some secrets that could change everything. In this new world it's all about survival.

The author has a great writing style and I love the way she mixed the past and present together. There was a lot in the story and you have no time to get bored with such a fast paced book.
I would recommend this book to other and happily reread the book too.
5 Stars
on 5 April 2012
New to the post apocalyptic world genre but not Mari Mancusi, Tomorrow Land is a YA post-apocalyptic adventure that includes not a love triangle and is not an endless series.
The novel starts with our own molly millions, not a damsel in distress but a superhuman super enhanced teenager-to be. The book alternates between 2030 and 2034, showing how everything came to a devastating end, the cure to the Aids virus killing adults and teenagers who thought it was nothing more but their LTF. The book has a litany of characters, her pill popping mother, her boy crazy best friend, her "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" Father and her stalker of an admirer.

Mancusis writing is detailed and well described creating a world not too distant from our present. She writes of characters in depression, writing well and in depth descriptions as too why they become so. This book tugs at the heart strings and makes you want to believe in love if nothing else, as more characters succumb to the virus and mutate to mindless, flesh seeking Zombies as the gang make their way to Disney world.
This book came to an end all too soon and, I enjoyed every moment, the twists and turns making it that much better.
on 15 January 2013
Really enjoyed reading this. I thought the way the story alternated between past and present was really interesting and dynamic which causes your connection with the characters to really build as you understand more about their past. When I read the summary, I was concerned about the zombie element of the book in the fear that it would just dominate the plot however there there is so much more to the book than just that. Overall I thought it was an excellent book and would consider out a must read for any fan of young adult dystopian fiction!
on 20 June 2014
I enjoyed this book generally, the story is good but the characters are a little bit weak in my opinion which doesn't really give you a good connection with the book. I enjoyed reading about the future technology and how earth has kind of reversed upon itself due to people relying too heavily on technology and scientists medalling with genetics. I just thought overall it could have done with a bit more depth.
on 15 October 2013
Couldn't put this book down. Loved the fact it jumped from past to present and you got the the story from both the main characters. I'm usually more into the love story part which was great in this book but was surprised to find I was really into the whole end of days and post apocalyptic side of the book aswell. Would definitely recommend this to anyone!!
on 15 May 2015
Story was ok. Characters were ok but forgettable. Terror factor was nil. Common! It's supposed to be a zombie apocalypse. But it felt like walk through Disneyland. There was nothing scary or engaging about the story. As I say, it was mild and ok to while away time
on 20 June 2013
Brilliant. An . Amazing insight into where our world could be, heading. The emotional dilemmas of the main characters were heart wrenching. The action was good without being too graphic. Must read more by this author.
on 4 February 2014
If you like dystopian novels and blood thirsty zombies than this could be the book for you. A fairly quick read that's was interesting enough to keep me reading!