4.0 out of 5 stars Tannoy TFX packs a punch wins in the 5.1 surrounds at this weight, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Tannoy TFX 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker System, Gloss Black (Electronics)
I too had read many mixed reviews about all makes and models. 5.1 7.1 9.s well I only need small 5.1 surround due to my situation. I need a set to team up with a AV reciever..(VSX-527-K) which does surprise me-more than expected)
These Tannoy totally over step anything in the sub 200 range and even would say as far as anything Iv bought to date- even my Vibe speaker in the car. Reviews for this were really positive against the competitors and eventually I got a good deal 199. Well since the sales iv had these for a couple of months. Well even last night I was surprised listening over airplay I was expecting it to resonate on the vocal and piano. I went to streak and turn it down but it didn't.. it really didn't so I pushed it up some more.. I mean they are very loud beautifully crafted speakers listening to vocals in a concert in my front room is amazing from that to BluRay and PS3 surrounds are just stunning. I really strongly recommend these to anyone.. you'll be amazed like me.. infact a friend is also looking at these over the others..
love this set up with admiration and respect to new technologies and materials.
PIONEER VSX527 3D READY HOME CINEMA RECEIVER

5.0 out of 5 stars Does not dissapoint..., 17 July 2013
C. JONES - See all my reviews
As my tv has limited HDMI ports I was looking at buying an AVR to host all my home entertainment systems ( blu ray player/xbox 360/virgin media etc) and do away with my current one box cinema system (Sony DAV-DZ230) and upgrade in the form of separates.

My budget was limited to around 500 as this was my first venture into home cinema separates and I opted for a Pioneer VSX-827k as my AVR and paired it with these tannoy tfx 5.1 speakers for several reasons;
Firstly, I have 2 young children so didn't want to buy floorstanding speakers (yet) so the tannoy satellites where a good option to mount up high out of their reach oO
Secondly at 300 they were within my price bracket and I was instantly drawn by their sleek design, and I am still always admiring their curves (sounds perverse I know) and shine from the black gloss finish. It just oozes style but it also has a very heavy and solid weight to the speakers which was a surprise. Feels like they weigh a tonne compared to the speakers of my former one box system !
I had read some positive reviews on what hifi, forums and also a colleague at work has this paired with a Yamaha AVR and raved about these speakers.

I have to admit that having been used to a one box system I didn't think there would be much of a difference in sound quality but that couldn't be anyfurther from the truth and my wife and I are really quite amazed especially when watching a blu ray in DTS HD Master Audio. The subwoofer is plenty punchy and I don't even have it turned all the way up and nor do I need the Reciever turned up too high. My Reciever supports 7.1 channels so I will be adding 2 front floorstanding speakers at some point but in the short term, this is ample enough a speaker system for any good sized lounge and for a first entry into home cinema separates. Even watching bog standard TV is enhanced greatly. The wife says corrie never sounded so good oO

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for smaller rooms and excellent to boot., 15 Mar 2013
Well, what a surprise! My own tastes are for something larger, ie the superlative Dali Zensor, but the much better half is all for aesthetics and after much research, we took a punt and for 215 paid, came home with the above package. Quality is excellent as is the visual appeal of these oh, so compact speakers which are about the size of a coffee mug, but which feel to be made of lead. The centre is discreet and sits nicely in front of the screen and the overall ensemble expands that discreet and understated appearance. It is one that does not frighten wives and girlfriends. The subwoofer is smaller than my own sub, so it can be hidden well in most rooms. Setup was easy, though don't try to use any of the larger gauge hifi speaker cables as the holes are as petite as the rest of it and it just won't fit. We ended up using a good sub micro cable and as the great moment of switch on drew closer, Mr. Cynic started ratcheting up one eyebrow in anticipation...

"Bloody 'ell!" Quoth I. It is impossible to imagine the sound that pours forth and it ain't the nasty, harsh, tinny, reedy and irritating sound you hear in all of these out of town cattle sheds that want to flog you a speaker package that looks and feels as though it fell out of a breakfast cereal packet as a free gift. The immediate scale of things is quite stunning, but the beauty is that the sound is rich,clear, natural and never feels ruffled. The way that the speakers integrate with each other is remarkable. The soundstage is wide and cohesive, the subwoofer seamlessly picking up when things head down the scale and providing some real punch and weight to the proceedings. It isn't HiFi but I still cannot believe how good it actually sounds for home cinema/surround sound or whatever you want to call it. These speakers will start to bed in after 20 or 30 hours and will then sound even better.

We did consider using a spare Wharfedale SW150 sub which is doing sterling service with a stereo system and going for the Cambridge Audio Minx satellite speakers, but even buying just 3 of these to give a 3.1 system would have meant spending an extra 30 quid for the stands which bought us to within pennies of what was eventually paid for the entire Tannoy system. Whilst using existing equipment may sound a smart idea, further consideration reveals a problem which when thought about, makes a case for an integrated system. These micro system satellites are not able to recreate lower frequencies as well as a good desktop speaker. These go down to around 160hz at the bottom and might not go down far enough for a standard subwoofer whose top limit might be less than this leaving an audible "hole" in the sound. Plus it is actually easier to go with the flow and the Tannoy sub will do a good job for all but the afficianado.

For smaller to medium and maybe even large medium rooms, the Tannoy TFX is quite possibly all that you might need and does an excellent job. Even with music, it still punches well above its weight though of course it does lose out to larger dedicated speakers here, but for a lounge or similar,it still sounds uncanny for something so small. I think for me, the thing which most impresses is the integration between the speakers and subwoofer and even I have to admit that this was a classic buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 5 Oct 2012
John A. Garrett Esq (Gosport UK) - See all my reviews
Having surfed a considerable number of web sites for reviews of this item I discovered that views were mixed. Having received it I decided to connect it to my Denon AVR1910. Considering the price of the system it was in my opinion an excellent buy, so much so I bought the additional speakers to make it into a 7.1 system. I buy Blu-ray performance discs and with this system and DTS Master sound you really are in the audience. I also found the sub-woofer just the right power for the smaller room. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound!, 12 Jun 2010
Recently purchased these speakers as part of my 1st home cinema package. Have them connected to Onkyo SR 308 with other HD components (SKY HD, PS3 and Panasonic blu ray player)
Brings Movies to life. Very easy to setup. Speech clarity is fanatastic.Subwoofer is active so it powers off automatically when not in use.
Watched Dark knight and was totally blown away by the sound. Great value speakers. Would recommend any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB-U-LOUS, 2 Jan 2009
I have the EFX 5.1 (I think they are almost identical). I would recommend these 100%
Amazing sound clarity and depth. Crystal clear with uncompressed PCM sound.