I waited over a month for delivery of a Griffin case so in the meantime to ensure my iPad 3 didn't get damaged I was able to get hold of a Gumdrop Drop Tech.

When the Griffin finally arrived I unboxed it and compared it to the Gumdrop that now protects my iPad and to be honest I felt I didn't have to change the case.

After all that anticipation I sent the Griffin back. It was not as good quality the inner frame felt fragile and the silicone outer skin was definitely softer and less robust than the Gumdrop.
I had real issues with both the Gumdrop and Griffin built in screen protectors; both did not lay flush with the screen. One plus point for the Griffin, it does not have a replaceable screen protector as it is built in, so gives better rain protection. The Gumdrop has a replaceable screen protector but is not water resistant around the edges.

I know that there have to be some compromises, but when a screen protector is not tactile or optically efficient then it would be better without, especially considering the quality of the iPad 3 screen.

Both the Gumdrop and Griffin screen protectors are poor. My message to the manufacturers, SORT IT OUT! That's why it loses a star.

I have now removed the plastic from the frame of the Gumdrop and replaced it with a Zagg screen protector fitted directly to the screen. Not only does this give better protection but it is much more tactile and has better optical qualities. It also adds to the overall cost of protection.

The Gumdrop silicone skin feels bullet proof, has a tyre tread pattern on it that will stop it slipping off your car seat even when braking hard, but because of its curves, it looks and feels less bulky than it is. The port covers are solid and feel like they will last unlike the Griffin which feels flimsy.

One plus point for some is that the Griffin has a complete lens flap for the rear camera protecting the lens but making it awkward to take pictures, while the Gumdrop has a protective flange leaving the lens free.

I use a Griffin case for my iPhone 4s and it is without a doubt the best protection you can give your phone. My nephew commented that it really hurt when I hit him over the head with it; well he was being cheeky at the time. The iPhone was of course undamaged. However, the Griffin cover for the iPad 3 does not scale up as well as it should, on paper it should have been better than the Gumdrop but it was not.

I work outdoors a lot, but I try to avoid using electrical equipment in the rain, so the Gumdrop is fine for me. The Griffin offers better protection in the rain and as my iPhone can testify the Griffin offers really good sand protection. I had been to the beach with my children and collected shells. Forgetting the fact that I had half a pocketful of sand I put my Griffin encased iPhone in said pocket and it survived unscathed. See how easy it is to make a mistake! This would be an unlikely scenario with the iPad.

However, having compared both, though the Griffin offers good protection I think corners have been cut and there is a question mark over the quality.

I will stick to the Gumdrop, the frame and the silicone skin feel more solid, more robust and better quality. If you are able to hold both silicone outer skins in your hand you will think the Gumdrop is bullet proof.

In fact I liked it so much I have bought another one.

All protective cases are a compromise, an iPad was designed to go skinless, but do you want to take that risk. Yes it adds a little bulk and weight but in my opinion it's the Gumdrop that comes out on top.
on 16 July 2012
This is an awesome piece of kit and a must if you have kids using your tech or you are prone to dropping things. It is super robust and the screen is protected but does not take away from the sensitivity of the screen to any noticeable degree. It is heavy and obviously changes the beautiful styling of the iPad but it does what it is ment to in spades and protects your kit very well.
on 28 December 2012
I'm not sure how this case could be improved. It fits the iPad 4 (retina + lightning) perfectly too. It's superbly well made and feels like it will cope with some real abuse. Minor niggles are that pressing keys close to the edge requires a finger tip rather that just gliding a thumb in from the side. You may often close down apps especially when in landscape mode as the home key is a little too easy to press. The combined weight of the iPad and case make it quite heavy if unsupported. However, all these pail into insignificance if you have a 4 year old or simply want to travel with the iPad. You know when you reach your destination it will still be in 1 piece. For 40 quid this is a good deal. It also meets with the approval from the woman too (though she has the pink one).

As normal, credit to amazon's super saver postage even over the Christmas period.
on 14 April 2013
This case is without doubt the best investment Imade for my wife's iPad2. I bought her both as gifts Christmas 2011. Both the case and the iPad are still looking fresh. This is while we still let our infant son play with the iPad daily. That alone should tell you how confident I am with this particular case. The iPad (whilst enclosed) has been dropped, splashed and whilst not treated horrendously has stood up to the treatment and if taken out of the case looks brand new. The gumdrop case also has a transparent covering for the screen that made all the difference when I purchased it.
As with everything if you look hard enough you will find drawbacks and in this case (pun intended)the Gumdrop case adds a lot of size and weight to a very svelte iPad 2. However if protection is you main concern then I wholeheartedly recommend it.
on 9 March 2013
I spend a lot of time on site surveying and this product is perfect. As a lot of other people say.. the screen protector is a bit plasticy and I've chosen to take it out. This leaves quite a recess from the front of the case to the screen, which in itself offers a degree of protection. It can easily be put back in when its a rainy day, but for general use it is fine without. A film type screen protector could easily be applied for additional protection if need be. The rubber texture is very good quality and comfortable in hand. Obviously there is a little more weight added, but I don't notice it and peace of mind takes president for me.
on 31 August 2012
Great case. Ipad now feels well protected. Using the case, you do lose some of the sleek Beauty of the device but after chipping one screen this is a small price to Pay

The case hadles finger prints well arguably better than the bare screen
on 23 March 2013
I use this case for all the iPads in my special school. The cases have truly been put to the test with children dropping them, throwing them in tantrums and worse (!) but the iPads are completely protected. The controls are easily accessible and the touch screen still fully responsive. If you are looking for a robust, hard wearing case, this is for you.
on 15 March 2013
Bought to protect the iPad from accidental damage when dropped. Works well, still able to use the iPad with it in place. Comes with a built in screen protector as well. Only negative is that the iPad is not sleek and sexy anymore. But not worried so long as I don't have to fork out another £100 for a new screen.
on 1 March 2013
I have no regrets about this purchase, which I have been using now for about 3 weeks. I have subsequently also bought a second cover as a gift.

I bought the Gumdrop case because I wanted something that was going to give my iPad a more substantial degree of protection than many of the other cases that are more readily available. My two kids use the device almost daily and it travels around with us, including outdoors, and abroad, so something that would protect the iPad from minor knocks and drops, without significantly compromising form and function, was desirable.

In terms of form: the iPad itself is a sleek and sexy piece of kit and if you like that about it then you may want to consider other cases as this one does alter that styling significantly. It changes the shape and feel alot making it more chunky in hand, heavier, and less slinky, but that works for me. The weight isn't a big issue for me, or for my youngest who is 3 years old, and, in all honesty, I personally find the iPad itself a bit too slinky and was always worrying that I couldn't get a good enough grip on it and it would somehow slip out of my hands (it's not cheap!) . This case gives me a bit more to hold onto (and a bit more confidence!). The rubberised exterior is fantastic - it sticks to almost everything - including my hands - and so the covered iPad very rarely slips or slides. You can prop it up on edge against something and the case holds this position on most surfaces. In addition, the rugged, tire-tread styling appeals to me. One observation is that, if you have a white iPad, then consider buying a cover that has a white trim (like pink/white) as a small sliver of the iPad is visible between the iPad screen and the edge of the cover and the white trim blends this away quite nicely. Similarly, if you have a black iPad, you may want to avoid the cover options that include a white trim, which would likely highlight that visible sliver of the covered iPad.

In terms of function: The iPad is still easy to use whilst in the cover and I've not had any problems with this. I have an iPad 2 and can't comment on the screen protector influencing the display on newer models but it works file with this model. It changes the feel of the screen marginally but this is negligible, and despite the iPad already having a seperate screen protector already applied. When we travelled with the iPad in a back-pack, through airports and bundled into overhead storage, we took the extra precaution of sandwiching the iPad with it's face flat against an A4 size book to give the screen some extra protection but we otherswise used it beach-side and pool-side with out any concerns. The buttons are all very easy to operate through the case (possibly even easier than without the case) and the video/camera ports are all unobstructed. I would echo some previous comments that the flap on the charging port cover might bring a bit too much pressure onto bear on the charging plug when it's inserted but I suspect that will ease with use.

All in all I'm very happy with this product and would recommend it.
on 29 December 2012
I absolutely love the style of the iPad with the slim profile and the clean lines. I seriously appreciate the design strengths - don't misunderstand me. Thing is, I dropped it. Twice! First time my big toe cushioned the impact and the bruised nail is still growing out. Second time, not so lucky, and the corner cracked. I needed a cover which would wrap around the damage and that's what led me to this product, but I wish I'd understood the advantages before I bought the standard, and also brilliantly designed, Apple magnetic cover.

The Gumdrop certainly increases the bulk of the iPad, but the compensation is protection. This is not going to slip out of your hand in the same way that slippery brushed aluminium, or magnet-attached plastic sheet may. And if you genuinely are carrying the iPad with you to USE as some kind of extension to your hand at all times, then you are eventually going to take your full concentration off it and make a mistake. It may get damaged. Stuff happens. But with this cover, I feel confident that my iPad will survive all the normal bashes and bangs that life throws. I am not suggesting that you try it but I can tell you that the front of the cover, sealed as it is into the wrap-over rubber surround, can withstand coffee spills: it just pours off and wipes down.

I thoroughly recommend this product and I have just bought the phone version too.