on 31 October 2012
Having invested in an iPad 3 to repalce my iPad 1, I bought the leather smart cover. 2 weeks later my wife picked it up by the smart cover and the magnets failed to hold the iPad. Result = one shattered glass corner and dented case.

I bought a total leather cover for the now scarred iPad, and 3 weeks later my 5 year old dropped it on a stone floor. Result = one totally shattered touch screen and another case dent.

£100 later for a new touch screen and case repairs, I invested in this cover which my daughter loves. Yes, you loose the beauty of the apple design and it does add alot of weight, but it covers the iPad and has an integral screen protector which works perfectly.

Peace of mind for a frustrated husband and father!
on 1 March 2013
I have no regrets about this purchase, which I have been using now for about 3 weeks. I have subsequently also bought a second cover as a gift.

I bought the Gumdrop case because I wanted something that was going to give my iPad a more substantial degree of protection than many of the other cases that are more readily available. My two kids use the device almost daily and it travels around with us, including outdoors, and abroad, so something that would protect the iPad from minor knocks and drops, without significantly compromising form and function, was desirable.

In terms of form: the iPad itself is a sleek and sexy piece of kit and if you like that about it then you may want to consider other cases as this one does alter that styling significantly. It changes the shape and feel alot making it more chunky in hand, heavier, and less slinky, but that works for me. The weight isn't a big issue for me, or for my youngest who is 3 years old, and, in all honesty, I personally find the iPad itself a bit too slinky and was always worrying that I couldn't get a good enough grip on it and it would somehow slip out of my hands (it's not cheap!) . This case gives me a bit more to hold onto (and a bit more confidence!). The rubberised exterior is fantastic - it sticks to almost everything - including my hands - and so the covered iPad very rarely slips or slides. You can prop it up on edge against something and the case holds this position on most surfaces. In addition, the rugged, tire-tread styling appeals to me. One observation is that, if you have a white iPad, then consider buying a cover that has a white trim (like pink/white) as a small sliver of the iPad is visible between the iPad screen and the edge of the cover and the white trim blends this away quite nicely. Similarly, if you have a black iPad, you may want to avoid the cover options that include a white trim, which would likely highlight that visible sliver of the covered iPad.

In terms of function: The iPad is still easy to use whilst in the cover and I've not had any problems with this. I have an iPad 2 and can't comment on the screen protector influencing the display on newer models but it works file with this model. It changes the feel of the screen marginally but this is negligible, and despite the iPad already having a seperate screen protector already applied. When we travelled with the iPad in a back-pack, through airports and bundled into overhead storage, we took the extra precaution of sandwiching the iPad with it's face flat against an A4 size book to give the screen some extra protection but we otherswise used it beach-side and pool-side with out any concerns. The buttons are all very easy to operate through the case (possibly even easier than without the case) and the video/camera ports are all unobstructed. I would echo some previous comments that the flap on the charging port cover might bring a bit too much pressure onto bear on the charging plug when it's inserted but I suspect that will ease with use.

All in all I'm very happy with this product and would recommend it.
on 26 January 2013
Bought one for the iPad of one of our kids. This case is very sturdy and provides very good
protection. Personally, I find that it also makes the iPad much more comfortable to
hold in your hands than without any case. That's due to it's thickness and the warmer and
softer feel provided by the silicon as compared to the "naked" iPad. Don't be misled by the
"drop" in "Gumdrop" or "Drop Tech", though. The case will very probably not provide adequate
protection if you ever drop the iPad on the floor from table top height, for instance. Of course
I have not tested that but you would never want to given the iPad's weight and its touchscreen
made of a thin sheet of glas. The case is obviously neither thick nor soft enough to
handle that reliably. What the case does provide is that it keeps the iPad clean and scratch
free and that it provides very good protection against the knocks and bumps occurring in everyday
use by active kids. That makes it so much more stress-free to let them have their iPads.
Love that. My only issue with the case stems from hearsay. It's that the standard
screen cover will buckle after a while. Gumdrop will apparently sell replacement kits
but I simply tore out the cover taking care not to damage the plastic frame holding it.
Instead of the torn out cover, I put a separate screen protector on the iPad. This
combination has worked very well for several weeks now. So, if you do not expect just too
much and if you are prepared to take the extra effort and cost regarding screen protection,
then it's a very recommendable case.
on 17 December 2012
I bought this for the woman and her 4 year old. I have the newest retina iPad with the lightning connector and this fits like a glove. I'd rate the quality at 8.5/10 as some parts of it don't look perfect, particularly around the flaps. That said its all perfectly functional and makes the iPad feel safe and secure. It is quite heavy now but the case adds grip. I'm not brave or stupid enough to drop it to check, but it really must be well protected given the construction.

I was a little worried that the case would make it difficult to control the iPad at the edges given the raised profile, but it doesn't make it to bad, you just need to be aware that it does make it fractionally harder. All in all, I would recommend this case. The item comes in a rather plain brown box and I guess it's one of those minimal packaging type, so if giving as a gift, you'll need to jazz it up with some nice paper.

I'll be hunting down a more masculine colour for mine now.........
on 27 March 2015
as a 16 year old I wanted something to protect my iPad but not to make it look like quite childish. I think this case looks fabulous. I actually really like the feel of it in my hands, makes me enjoy using my iPad. The case has a clear screen going over the glass and it makes a real satisfying sound when you touch it. My iPad is a 3rd gen and when I put the first 2 layers on it kept popping off on the left hand side, however it is staying on when you put the pink rubber on. BE CAREFUL WITH THE PRICE. I have noticed that I brought it for 20.48 and the price has fluctuated suggnificantly so see if you can get it anywhere else cheaper. (I think the price is now 35 ish) overall would recommend this product as it's comforting to know your baby is safe.
on 1 June 2013
Bought this as I have a young child with autism. It had protected the iPad from a lot of rough handling and it had been dropped on a couple of occasions. It's chunky design makes it easy for small hands to hold I even bought it in pink to discourage my son from taking it outside...seems to have worked. Overall I would recommend it.
on 8 April 2013
We now have two of these and they have (so far) done their job in protecting the iPad through some rough treatment. Excellent product

See one answered question