Format: Audio CD|Change

So, The Proclaimers. Surely a band you either love or hate? Or maybe a group you've only ever heard a couple of songs from. You know, that one from Shrek and the Comic Relief single. Well, if you love them, you're going to love "Like Comedy". If you hate them, this album probably isn't going to change your mind. If you've only heard a couple of singles, it's about time you discovered just how brilliant Craig and Charlie Reid really are. This, their ninth album, is a cracking collection of passionate, heartfelt ballads and foot-tapping, folk-rock stompers, all delivered with those gorgeous, spine-tingling harmonies soaring above the powerful, moving, melodic music.

It is very difficult to pick favourites from this album - in fact, "Like Comedy" is as near to a perfect Proclaimers album you're ever likely to hear. It's genuinely superb from the first song right through to the last. It's a record you could play to somebody to introduce them to just how good the band are - and then suggest their greatest hits afterwards. If you twist my arm, I'd say that my favourite cuts are the excellent opener, "Whatever You've Got", the beautifully romantic "Simple Things", the moving, simple truth of "After You're Gone", the magnificently powerful "There's", the emotional "The Thought Of You" and the tear-inducing sentimental "Wherever You Roam". However, the whole album is just a joy to listen to and singling out tracks seems unfair to the other songs, it's that good. It's certainly a contender for the best Proclaimers album, as a whole, and fans of the Reid brothers will definitely find some new favourites here.

One of the things I have always loved about The Proclaimers is their unashamed romanticism and sentimentality. They always write and sing about the subjects closest to the heart, making their work easy to connect with and enjoy on a deeper level than mere pop music. There's always either genuine, affecting emotion behind the lyrics or a tongue-in-cheek cynicism where real life pricks the bubble of the romantic ideal. They always sing with conviction, heart, belief and passion and, quite honestly, I can't remember them sounding as good as they do on this album.

I'm in love.
on 7 May 2012
Excellent album, pure Proclaimers sound and telling lyrics that we have come to expect with a good mix of stripped back acoustic tracks and emotive arrangements.
on 30 September 2012
I'm not a dyed -in-the-wool Proclaimers fan but I've always admired them and have a couple of their albums prior to this one.
The main disc here has 12 studio tracks over 36 minutes, the additional disc has 5 older songs (20 minutes) recorded live at a Glasgow SECC gig in 2009.
The studio songs have the great harmonies you'd expect. Musical backing is via guitars and/or piano with a base & drums rhythm section on 10 of the 12 tracks and strings on a couple of tracks.
The songs have a wide range with subjects understandable to the everyday lives of all people - you dont need to be a cryptologist to work them out. Typical themes cover mortality (After You're Gone); simple enjoyment of the good things in life (Women and Wine) and attraction on the dance floor (Dance With Me). None of the songs outstays its welcome and, with the range of subjects / tempos and instrumentation, you get a very enjoyable listen with the time just flashing by.
The digipak contains a booklet with details (for each track) of "who plays what" and lyrics.
Recommended to existing fans or newcomers.
VINE VOICEon 6 June 2012
This is a great cd with lots of great tracks on it. Some songs are upbeat and others are more sentimental. It is nice to have another cd from the Proclaimers and this I am sure will be a hit for them. I especially like track 4. The lyrics are wonderful and I have been playing the whole cd in the car constantly. I would recommend this cd to anyone.
on 2 March 2014
I just had to write a review about this because I am amazed at how good The Proclaimers are! Great tracks to sit and listen to and sing along to,( when you can work out what they are singing!) This is the first time I have heard anything apart from 500 miles and I just have to mention Sunshine on Leith which should really be a classic that is played everywhere not just at Hibs ground. Anyway, fantastic music brilliantly sung. More albums will surely be on the way to my record collection by THE PROCLAIMERS
on 18 May 2012
i have loved the proclaimers since first seeing them on a tv show.
channel 4's the tube around 30 years ago and they still look the same!
i have a few of their albums and now this one which is great.
shame that there is no live version of letter from america though.
i am going to see them in concert for the first time in november.
on 1 April 2014
A series of thoughtful songs which continue their run of engaging songs. Perhaps not chock full of floorfillers which have got them the wider attention they deserve but enough to have a sly sing-a-long every now and again.
on 28 April 2013
Proclaimers albums just seem to get better and better. I loved the last two, and this one is so brilliant it's addictive. I've just bought my second copy, because the cover of my first copy got so tatty. There's everything we've come to expect from the Proclaimers here - ravishing melodies, great harmonies and heartfelt lyrics, all delivered with their trademark energy and sense of purpose. The opening song, 'Whatever You've Got', is my favourite - I defy anyone not to tap their feet to this corker of a track with its strong beat and soaring vocals. 'Spinning around in the air' is great fun with its catchy tune and waltz-like rhythm (my dream is to see the pro dancers on 'Strictly' doing a group waltz to this!). The Proclaimers have never been afraid to bare their souls, and tracks such as 'After You're Gone', 'There's', 'The Thought of You', 'Wherever You Roam' and the title track, 'Like Comedy', see them at their passionate best. 'Simple Things' finds them in more reflective mood, and there's a wonderful guitar solo from Charlie in the middle. As always, Craig and Charlie are in good voice, and they have a fantastic backing band. The colour booklet with the lyrics is a nice addition. The bonus CD is admittedly a bit short with just five live tracks on it, that doesn't detract from the enjoyment of this album. Superb!
on 8 January 2013
I think my musical taste is fairly broad - I picked up various albums last year from Mercury nominees to those featured in round ups of the year and on 6 Music etc.

However, this was my favourite by quite a way.

Why? It's a perfectly paced, joyous, uplifting journey which leaves you just wanting more.

Put simply, it's a heart-warming album to make you smile - and for me is the best the lads have produced for a long, long time.
on 19 August 2012
Apart from Letter from America and 500 Miles I didn't know much about The Proclaimers music until fairly recently. I have a few of their albums now and I have to say Like Comedy is fantastic and the best yet.

Wherever You Roam has me in tears every time I listen to it. Very moving.
Spinning Around In The Air has me in stitches the lyrics are so funny!

I could comment on each track they are all so good.....

These are a very talented duo and I can't wait to see them in November at the O2 Academy Oxford.
Absolutely brilliant!