4.0 out of 5 stars Hang on a minute everyone!!......I loved this book!
Ok so Faces was pretty bad, but Close was better and the Business topped both of them. I didn't think I was going to like this but I have faith in Cole and I'm glad to say I was right.
The Business was exciting, gripping and while repetetive at times, a page turner.
Martina is getting back on the saddle, the plot was good in my opinion, with Martina's obvious...
Published on 11 Mar 2009 by DebzM

2.0 out of 5 stars Seriously disappointing!!
I have loved Martina Cole as an author since I bought "The Runaway" in a second hand book shop a few years ago. Since then I have read every book and thoroughly enjoyed the character and plots.

Published on 5 Nov 2008 by Sinead Moss

2.0 out of 5 stars Seriously disappointing!!, 5 Nov 2008
Sinead Moss - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Business (Hardcover)

Please tell me what happened here!! I waited on this new novel for quite a long time in anticipation that it would be marvellous; unfortunately "The Business" is repetitive and predictive. The characters were unbelievable and far fetched.

I was hoping at some point that something explosive was going to happen but it never did. I look forward to the next one in the hope that it may be a better read!!

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing read, 8 Nov 2008
Julie Robins (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Business (Hardcover)
eagerly awaited and sadly disappointed! repetitive, not captivating as her previous books and struggled to finish this one. the story was neither compelling nor believable. what a shame...

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Drivel, 30 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Business (Hardcover)
I have read all of Martina Cole's books and, up until her last, Faces, I have always found them an excellent read, with clever, well thought out plots. Faces was gratuitously violent, with irritating text and loathsome characters. I hoped it was just a blip in her writing, but sadly 'The Business' is actually worse.

The whole plot could have been written in the synopsis on the back of the book, and just how many times did I need to be told that Imelda was not a nice person? Whole storylines were skimmed over, events happened that had me going back over pages to find out what I must have missed (not difficult: I missed huge chunks of repetitive dialogue, where the reader was told, for the hundredth time, that Imelda was not very nice); characters started to become interesting and then just disappeared (Jimmy Bailey, Michael Hanlon); Jordanna's dialogue was written as if by an adult yet she was only supposed to be two years old; Kenny had all the 'Faces' living in fear of him at the tender age of 14... come on - give the reader some credit! It was absolute drivel. And was anyone else as irritated as me with Kenny 'Boy'? This was as annoying as 'Danny Boy' in the last book!

I fear Martina Cole is heading the same way as Patricia Cornwell, her sucess makes her feel she doesn't need to try. However, if the author doesn't care about the book, why on earth should her avid fans? Thank goodness this book was only £9 in Tesco. I'll never buy another Martina Cole!

1.0 out of 5 stars martina cole's the business, 28 Oct 2008
Mrs. R. Ware - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Business (Hardcover)
She done it again! ( Do not waste you money on martina cole's the business) thought she could only get better after the absolute rubbish FACES was. but no you've turned from very good to the greatest crap writer ever.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor writing- does no one edit her work anymore- Don't waste your money, 16 Dec 2009
Gilly (Manchester, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Business (Paperback)
Has Martina Cole become so big that her editor dare not proof read her books anymore before they go on sale, or like another reviewer has pointed out does she think she push any old rubbish on us now. The book is nearly 600 pages long, but could have been halved if edited properly. The book was full of contradictions and repetitive. Storylines were cut short, full of cliches (that were also constantly repeated - if I ever read the phrase 'a bellyful of arms and legs' again I'll instigate a riot'. I've just wasted a couple of days reading this dribble - I will not read anything by Cole again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Felt let down by the Author, 28 Jun 2009
L. Fennersolomon (Cape Town, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Business (Paperback)
Have read most of Martina Cole's books, and have always found them gripping and fairly well written. However The Business has left me feeling like I've been swindled! Obviously the Publisher was knocking on Ms Cole's door here, as the storyline is poor, the characters barely developed on the whole and the dialogue and character observations very juvenile and repetitive. I kept thinking I was reading the same page over again, as in certain parts of the book, the text is almost identical, and the choice of adjectives is extremely limited. Poor show. Also blame the Editor for allowing the book through in such a badly written format without some major re-writes. Poor show all around!

1.0 out of 5 stars Readers have been given "THE BUSINESS", 20 July 2009
This review is from: The Business (Paperback)
Very disappointing to say the least. Everything is repetitive and it seems that Martina's new word is ERGO. 400 pages into the book and nothing has changed except the ages of characters. And are we really to believe that a 2 year old would recall handing a gun to her mother?
I have now put Martina in same category as Patricia Cornwell. Ergo, I will not buy books by either of these authors.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bored, bored, bored......, 12 July 2009
This review is from: The Business (Paperback)
Well another huge disappointment from MC. I had hoped after disasters such as 'The Graft' that she might have got back on track but obviously not. 100 pages of blah, blah, blah and half a page of something (but not much) happening. I have NEVER read an author who could say the same thing so many times, over and over again. This book is utterly boring and, sad to say, will be my last MC after having bought every book she has ever written. She obviously doesn't read her reviews as those for her last few books are utterly dire.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!!, 19 Nov 2009
Mme Lucinda Hannant (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Business (Paperback)
I really used to rate Martina Cole but this books was absolute rubbish. The same phrases were used over and over again almost as if they were infill to make the book up to the required number of words. The number of times that we heard about 'a bellyful of arms and legs' and 'the car crash that was Imelda's life' was no odds to anyone. Sorry but I won't be buying anymore of her books. I was thoroughly disappointed by it and angry that I spent my precious money on a book that's not worth the paper it's printed on!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many cliches, 7 Nov 2008
JMBarron (Alicante Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Business (Hardcover)
I have been a Martina fan since her first book.I thought she however she failed with 'Faces',but that was only going to be a small hitch by an otherwise great authoress.Well was I wrong,The Business is worse,far worse.The amount of repetitive cliches is pathetic,how many times was the expression 'Any way shape or form' used? Kids of two with perfect recall, and 17 year old kids owning pubs,come on Martina give us some degree of intelligence,please.