Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£1.99

This is a good example of a studio album being put together with the aim of pleasing everyone. In reality it is something of a "Curates Egg" and yet it has charm and the choice of songs not at odds with Julian Ovenden's voice or ability. As a trained singer and actor of vast experience he can turn his hand/voice to a wide range of styles. This album attempts to demonstrate exactly that. I have some favourites "The Last Waltz"; "Up, up and Away"; "You've made me so very happy". I listened to the whole album through headphones and felt that the sound balance between Julian's voice and the orchestra does not do him justice as he sounds too distant or too surrounded. ( particularly tracks 2 & 13) also the bass seemed rather high at times. Modern recordings should be perfect and have clarity and balance. I like vocals up front with the orchestra to left and right and some of these songs would have benefitted from that delivery. Even so I would rate this 3 stars.
on 5 June 2012
I like Julian.I ordered this after seeing him on TV. He has a good voice but I think the choice of songs could have suited him better
on 25 May 2012
If You Stay Julian Ovenden has a beautiful voice, and I was really looking forward to this CD. However, I feel that his voice is lost due to the backing - too much noise in the background - drums bashing etc. -sometimes his voice seemed to play second fiddle. I want to hear Julian Ovenden with the appropriate backing for his voice. No matter that this was a 60's & 70's album, it did not do his great talent justice. Please don't overpower a beautiful voice with this "rock" type (I don't know what else to call it!) band music. We so seldom get to hear a voice like this and I felt it was drowned.
on 27 April 2012
Just like 'Peggy B' I was really looking forward to this CD. I'm very disappointed. The songs do not suit Julian's voice at all, in fact "The Last Waltz" really made me cringe. Stick to the more powerful songs Julian, I really loved you on the BBC Proms. Sorry!!
on 30 April 2012
This is a cracker of a record. Slightly old school but with serious high end production values and brilliant vocal performance. Highly recommended for anyone who loves that 60's sound.
on 28 April 2012
This is the best album I've listened to in years - it's been playing non stop and I love the song choices. Amazing voice!
on 29 August 2014
Oh dear!, I was going to by this album, as I have always liked his acting and one of the the resident singers in the fabulous John Wilson t.v. extravaganzas. I thought I would listen to the MP3 samples first. This decided me not to get this album. Wrong choice of song, orchestrations and sound, as he sounded though he was trying to lower his range to suit the song. It was a disappointment. A lovely voice with the wrong material.
Haylyn UK
on 26 April 2012
I was really looking forward to this album as I have admired Julian Ovenden for some time and loved him in Marguerite and at the proms.A beautiful rich voice which sends shivers down my spine when singing the Jaques Brel classic If You Go Away;I also loved You Made Me So Very Happy.But what a disappointing selection of songs!Last Waltz and Up Up and Away just aren't worthy of his powerful emotional voice.I much prefer him singing musical theatre where he can really let rip:to hear him sing Being Alive is just amazing.Have given only 4 stars simply because of the songs-if you are going to do 60s songs then there are some much better ones out there.
on 30 August 2012
Oh dear ! Why do singers with GREAT Show Song voices just want to be another Pop singer ?

Stick to what you're best at Julian, and leave the ubiquitous pop stuff to the lesser talents.

Broadway has such a HUGE back catalogue of songs that haven't been done to death, so, why the Pop stuff ???

Disappointed with your choice of songs here.

Sorry !
on 12 June 2012
I listened with great enjoyment to this CD. Julian Ovenden has a memorable voice. I would love to hear more from him. He could do a whole album of soft ballads of Sinatra's era as well as more modern songs. He sings with passion and creates a wonderful mood of intimacy. Lots more please.