4.0 out of 5 stars Like Julian?
I like Julian.I ordered this after seeing him on TV. He has a good voice but I think the choice of songs could have suited him better
Published on 5 Jun 2012 by margmartin

Published on 25 Jun 2012 by C. FULLER

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting if not completely successful album from Julian Ovenden..., 25 Jun 2012
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: If You Stay (Audio CD)
This is a good example of a studio album being put together with the aim of pleasing everyone. In reality it is something of a "Curates Egg" and yet it has charm and the choice of songs not at odds with Julian Ovenden's voice or ability. As a trained singer and actor of vast experience he can turn his hand/voice to a wide range of styles. This album attempts to demonstrate exactly that. I have some favourites "The Last Waltz"; "Up, up and Away"; "You've made me so very happy". I listened to the whole album through headphones and felt that the sound balance between Julian's voice and the orchestra does not do him justice as he sounds too distant or too surrounded. ( particularly tracks 2 & 13) also the bass seemed rather high at times. Modern recordings should be perfect and have clarity and balance. I like vocals up front with the orchestra to left and right and some of these songs would have benefitted from that delivery. Even so I would rate this 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like Julian?, 5 Jun 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars No No No Julian, 27 April 2012
This review is from: If You Stay (Audio CD)
Just like 'Peggy B' I was really looking forward to this CD. I'm very disappointed. The songs do not suit Julian's voice at all, in fact "The Last Waltz" really made me cringe. Stick to the more powerful songs Julian, I really loved you on the BBC Proms. Sorry!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy, 30 April 2012
This review is from: If You Stay (Audio CD)
This is a cracker of a record. Slightly old school but with serious high end production values and brilliant vocal performance. Highly recommended for anyone who loves that 60's sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 April 2012
This review is from: If You Stay (Audio CD)
This is the best album I've listened to in years - it's been playing non stop and I love the song choices. Amazing voice!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much noise!, 25 May 2012
This review is from: If You Stay (Audio CD)
If You Stay Julian Ovenden has a beautiful voice, and I was really looking forward to this CD. However, I feel that his voice is lost due to the backing - too much noise in the background - drums bashing etc. -sometimes his voice seemed to play second fiddle. I want to hear Julian Ovenden with the appropriate backing for his voice. No matter that this was a 60's & 70's album, it did not do his great talent justice. Please don't overpower a beautiful voice with this "rock" type (I don't know what else to call it!) band music. We so seldom get to hear a voice like this and I felt it was drowned.

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE please, 22 May 2014
This review is from: If You Stay (Audio CD)
He needs to do another - this is terrific! Awesome voice, great song selection. Get it, you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you stay, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: If You Stay (Audio CD)
Julian has a wonderful voice. He really should do more albums. He sang a Matt Monroe song better than Matt and that is saying something. The music arrangements on this album are great and he is right to be proud of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Choice of Songs, 16 Sep 2012
S. Goddard (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If You Stay (Audio CD)
I read the reviews before buying the album so I knew I might be disappointed and I certainly was. I saw Julian Ovenden in Marguerite twice and he was incredible! He was brilliant in the Proms this year and previously so I was looking forward to hearing his voice even if the songs weren't great. I won't be listening to the album after the first play. What an awful choice of old mostly old pop songs. My husband said the first few tracks sounded like karioke. There was just one song that actually sounded like it was Julian singing. I do hope Finding Neverland goes ahead and a recording is made - I'll be there!

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 30 Aug 2012
S24 "mrc24" (SHEFFIELD, S.YORKS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If You Stay (Audio CD)
Oh dear ! Why do singers with GREAT Show Song voices just want to be another Pop singer ?

Stick to what you're best at Julian, and leave the ubiquitous pop stuff to the lesser talents.

Broadway has such a HUGE back catalogue of songs that haven't been done to death, so, why the Pop stuff ???

Disappointed with your choice of songs here.

Sorry !