4.0 out of 5 stars Used over a year
I didn't buy it here, but in Japan.
After a year of use, here's my review.

Starting from the cons;
1.For an earphone, the size is quite big. Some people might find it uncomfortable and slightly heavier.
→But compared to other "bluetooth" earphones, it is extremely compact and simply structured.
2.The dock given with the product is the...
Published 15 months ago by Phalanx

A Very, Very Tough Sell. Sony Wireless Headset #XBA-BT75: A Critical Review.

This would be a very tough sell even it went for half price at $150.

There are several major things wrong with this headset, not the least of which is price.

The set comes with:

Wireless Bluetooth headpiece Additional ear buds Hard case/ charging module...
Published on 29 April 2012 by Andre Lawrence

2.0 out of 5 stars A Very, Very Tough Sell. Sony XBA-BT75 Wireless Headphones: A Critical Review., 29 April 2012
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony XBABT75 Premium Quality Bluetooth Headphones (Electronics)
A Very, Very Tough Sell. Sony Wireless Headset #XBA-BT75: A Critical Review.

This would be a very tough sell even it went for half price at $150.

The set comes with:

Wireless Bluetooth headpiece Additional ear buds Hard case/ charging module Cushioned carrying case USB to Micro USB plug

***

Sony is headed in the right direction by focusing its energies in wireless Headset technology, however Sony made some very, very costly mistakes with this product.

First there's only one way to charge this Bluetooth headset and that's by a proprietary docking case. The earpiece sits inside the module where connectors initiate the charge. On the outer cover, a micro usb to usb plug connects to a computer.

In the event that you misplace, lose, damage this docking station, the headset is no good by itself and has no other way to function without replacing that unit. Sony has been playing these same games with many of their phones. If you don't have that specific charge cord that Sony, alone, designs then you're out of luck.

So, to get around this inconvenience, I brought along with me on a day out, a usb-ac adapter from another device I own.

This charge module has a rechargeable battery installed in case your out and you need a charge, but anyone who has those rechargeable batteries knows that the charge doesn't last. It's nowhere near the capacity of an alkaline battery.

*** The Fit ***

The headset is constructed with what seems to be a durable, but hard plastic casing. It took about a week to get use to the feel.

The connection cord between the left and right earpiece is very sensitive to touch. If this cord brushes up against any garment of clothing, it will amplify that vibration on top of the streaming audio or your conversation.

*** Connection ***

The device automatically connected to my smartphone but it doesn't have an audible monitor built-in to tell when a call comes in, how much charge the battery has or is left. A small indicator light on the earpiece, out of sight while wearing the device is the only warning system. It's both impractical and a design flaw to expect the wearer to spontaneously take off the earpiece to count some flashing lights to determine battery strength.

And, as stated on the box, the charge time is roughly 3.5 hours between re-charging. I found this to be accurate. But, two other wireless, stereo Bluetooth headsets Motorola SF600 and Jabra SPORT both offer equal or better performance and are less than half the price of these Sony's.

*** Call reception ***

The biggest problem. Call after call, both sides of the call had a VERY difficult time hearing each other: indoors and outside. I was surprised how bad it was. My 5-mile walk, aka "test route" proved to be a disaster for conversations. This was never a problem for the Motorola or the Jabra.

*** Streaming ***

The main selling point is unquestionably the audio fidelity by way of the "Dual Armature', separate microprocessors in the earpieces.

Audibly-wise: the fidelity was nice. Various kinds of music sounded noticeably clean when compared to hearing it out my computer or smartphone speakers, but it was bit more robust than the Jabra and only marginally better than the Motorola.

If you're listening to streaming audio, especially at a max. 2 Mbps, you're NOT dealing with "high fidelity" from sources like Pandora, Amazon's or even iTunes. These audio storehouses have to use various file compression format in order to be able to send those files wirelessly. There's no comparison to a cd and certainly nothing to compared to DVD-audio or SACD.

So, the only benefit of this set is to have an external source playing audio through a device that has a bluetooth transmitter.

Now, does this last set-up justify the $300 price tag alone?

*** Comparison. ****

Sony-- 3.5 hours

Comfort
Motorola-- very comfortable
Jabra-- comfortable
Sony-- take some getting use to.

Noise interference
Jabra-- none
Motorola-- barely perceptable
Sony-- horrendous.

Sony BT75 is a rushed-to-the-market device. A lot more consideration should have gone into R&D. 2 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Used over a year, 20 Nov. 2013
I didn't buy it here, but in Japan.
After a year of use, here's my review.

Starting from the cons;
2.The dock given with the product is the only way to charge it. Battery life is not too bad, a few hours(3~4hours) of use is about it.
→The dock is portable so it's not a hassle to carry it around, so maybe it's not too bad.
3.The cushion case is redundant; I barely use it, mostly because it's not well-designed, since it's hard to slip the earphone in. There isn't enough space unless you fold in the cables and all. It still does fit in though, just tedious to.
4.Although the quality of the sound/bluetooth connection is good, it still cuts of for a split second occasionally. Like when you receive calls. I also noticed the connection gets affected when I'm close to traffic lights.No idea why though.

What I'm mostly bothered about is that when I want to use the dock just to put the earphones in, it automatically charges it, even when it's close to full. This shortens battery life so...

Pros;
1. Good sound quality for a bluetooth earphone. Unless you have a very strong preference, or sensitive years or whatever, you shouldn't have anything bad to say about the sound. It's quite a neutral sound, meaning that it doesn't enhance high/low sounds or anything, everything just sounds leveled equally.
2.Very portable. Though I mentioned that the earphone is relatively big, the overall size isn't too bad to carry around.
3.No tangling up of cables. The biggest advantage, I reckon. For normal earphones, I really get annoyed how they tangle up in pockets. Also, even when in use, they get in the way, like they tangle with you hands/clothes or whatever. This doesn't happen with these earphones, so stress-free on this.

So overall, I'm quite happy and impressed with these. Someone's mentioned that it broke after a few months but probably it was defective; unless you sit on it, it's quite a tough earphone.

I would recommend it, but one thing YOU SHOULD DO; make sure you check if this product is compatible with your device, whatever you're wishing to use it with.

I have a Walkman A series which I'm using it with, but for instance, it doesn't work with my Vaio S series PC although it does have bluetooth. To prevent unnecessary disappointment, do a research or ask Sony if it is compatible or not!

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bluetooth Earphones, 4 Oct. 2012
I bought a pair of the Sony XBA-BT75's from Amazon and I love them. I don't usually write reviews but I wanted to share my experience with the Sony's because I think they are fantastic and there's a lot of mediocre stuff out there.

-- Sound Quality
I have tried Bluetooth headphones in the past and they sounded quite tinny, with the treble frequencies cut short and the bass too boomy. But with the Sony's they sound balanced with plenty of top end and the bass is controlled and tight. You can't really compare sound quality with a similar priced set of quality wired earphones but if you're only listening to music on an iPhone or other mobile device then it probably won't do justice to a pair of £200 quality wired earphones anyway. I use these with my iPhone 5 and have not had any interference or drop outs when listening to music.

I would also like to point out that the Sony's use the A2DP protocol over Bluetooth when playing music. There are other Bluetooth headphones that use AptX which is supposed to have superior sound quality. But if you're planning to use them with an iPhone then Aptx isn't supported anyway. However it is supported on Macs with OSX.

-- Fit
I find them comfortable and the fit is secure with the loop that goes round the ear. First I thought the connecting cord was a bit too long but when hooked right round the ear with the cord coming slightly forward it's perfect. And it puts the volume control within easy reach just below the ear. They did look a bit funny at first as it does protrude more than regular earphones - so possibly not for the overly fashion conscious :-)

-- Operation
There are controls to answer/hang up calls, pause, play, volume, skip forward/backward and fast search forward/backward. For iPhone users it does not work with Siri. Battery life is about the stated 3.5 hours. Personally I like the carry case that also doubles as a charger. I leave it on my desk at work and just put the earphones in when not in use. It also comes with a neoprene type carrying pouch. An other thing to note is that the battery status is not displayed on the phone, however, the charge level is shown buy the number of flashes of the LED light when the earphones are switched on. On the other hand, when the volume is adjusted on the earphones the volume is also adjusted on the iPhone. With other Bluetooth devices that I have tried the volume had to be set to max on the phone and then adjusted independently on the 'phones.

-- Conclusion
I would like to be able to use the Siri voice control with them but that is a minor gripe. Because these sound so good I'm going to give them 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Selfridges still selling at £249, 17 Jan. 2014
Yes cable connecting ears too long, but I've sorted that by keeping it in front instead of around the back. Might look a bit odd but really works for me.
Have got a good fit in ear using the supplied ear buds. Quality of sound brilliant, and the battery life a real bonus, charging on the go means I am always with my music, as long as I remember to charge the case occasionally! I have a back up power for my Ipad Iphone and it works well with these too so even then I am sorted, just have to make a choice of which one gets low on charge if I really mess up.
Easy to switch between connections with my Iphone or Ipad and good quality achieved using it as a hands free device.
If you like the idea of no wires to your device these compare favourably with all the earphones I've used in trying to find some that I can wear comfortably and get a good sound experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowza, 23 Aug. 2014
I seem to have a Bluetooth addiction ... Be it headphones or speakers. So seeing these on amazon for a ridiculas price I had to buy them. After reading all the reviews I was sceptical about the charging aspect but I feel Sony should be applauded for the idea. In the last 12 months I am ashamed to say I have spent £900 on headphones which I'm not proud of but I'm in search of sound perfection from Bluetooth. Well I think I've found it with these. I thought my Sony MDR-1BT were unbeatable but these just edge it,maybe because they are in your ears not over... Who knows. I have tried Bose/sennhieser which were not as clear as these beauty's so at under £80 they are a steal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, so-so sound, 25 April 2014
We all know how tangled wires can be uncomfortable, so I've become quite obsessed about listening to my music wirelessly, lately. I currently own the highly praised Parrot Zik (they're as expensive as they're wonderful) and Philips SHB4000/10 (cheap and cheerful). Before settling for those, I also tried JUSTOP JSound 10 (cheap and not cheerful) and Zonoki Z-B80 (nice build quality, not so nice sound quality). But I needed something smaller, since I don't wish to have a backpack with me so that I can carry my headphones to and from work. I thought some bluetooth in-ear headphones might be the solution I was after (even though the offer is currently a bit scarce regarding higher-end bluetooth in-ear headphones). As such, after reading all the reviews on these Sony XBA-BT75, both here and on Amazon.com, taking into consideration that their original price tag was something around £200+ and that they're Sony (a respectable and quality brand), I decided to try the XBA-BT75 bluetooth in-ear headphones, expecting their sound quality to blow me away. It did blow me away... With disappointment.

THE GOOD:

*Fit* - Unlike other reviewers, I had no problem in keeping them in place. Sure, it can get a little while getting used to them but, once you find that right position to keep them in your ears, they stay there, they do not fall off. I don't do jogging or any other sort of more intense physical activity with them, I just use them for commuting and generally walking around in my town. They fit nicely and they even isolate from exterior sound much better than previously wired in-ear headphones I've owned (Sennheiser CX 300 II and, the ones I currently use on a daily basis, Sony MDR-EX500LP). They're not as heavy and uncomfortable as I'd expect them to be after reading the reviews. It only takes a few hours (maybe less) to get used to them and the lack of a cord connecting to your cellphone/music player is truly a blessing.

*Design* - Even though they obviously look rather bulky on the ears, I actually think that they look stylish, like some futuristic gadget you're wearing on your head, with their sleek glossy metal-like clear surface. They're very pleasing to the eye, which is not the most important thing regarding headphones, I know, but it's definitely a plus on these ones.

*Connectivity* - Bluetooth pairing took between 5 to 10 seconds on every device I tried pairing them with (Samsung Galaxy Note II, PlayStation Vita, desktop computer, and the XBA-BT75 remembered them all, no need for re-pairing), absolutely no fuss about it. Then the connection remained stable at all times, without any sort of hiccups in sound streaming, it felt just like they were wired headphones on this matter, really. I tried carrying my cellphone in different pockets, expecting connection issues, but the result was always the same, a stable connection with a smooth sound stream, I was very pleased with that.

*Button placement* - The multifunction button located on the right ear-piece works great for pausing/playing tracks and, unlike other reviewers, I had no problems with accidentally turning the headphones off whenever adjusting them on my ear by unintentionally pressing that button. I don't even have to press there to adjust them on my ears. The +- buttons located somewhere along the cord at the back of the right ear-piece are also very practical and easy to reach out and use.

*Battery* - Sony claims something around 3.5 hours, whereas I got a little bit over 4 hours of listening to music after a full charge. This is the kind of false advertising I like!

THE BAD:

*Sound quality* - The true deal-breaker regarding headphones, I'm sure we all agree. After listening to music with them I was mesmerized to see most reviewers pointing out that the sound quality was very good. From my experience, this is where they fail the most. While not being exactly bad, it's definitely far from "premium". The bass is alright (not strong enough for bass junkies - which I am not one -, but still good enough to enjoy some tasty beats), but the treble... Oh my. What happened to it? Even playing around with various EQ settings they still sound as flat as other cheap wired/bluetooth headphones I've tried. Of course, after reading so many reviews raving about their sound quality, I thoroughly checked the package they came in, thinking they might be some sort of cheap knock-off (I did bought them from a Marketplace seller who sells them for less than half of Amazon's price), but it looks like the real deal to me. It is a genuine Sony product. For the price being asked for them, I would expect something to blow the (already excellent) sound quality my wired Sony MDR-EX500LP to smithereens, but it only pales in comparison. After listening to the same tracks alternatively with both my Philips SHB4000/10 and the XBA-BT75, it finally made up my mind regarding the sound quality of the latter, which is just not good enough for the price asked for them. As a high-end expensive pair of bluetooth earphones I find them to be under-performing and disappointing overall, in terms of sound quality they're just "OK".

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:

I did not mention the cellphone call quality because I did not use them for such purpose (I use them mostly with my PlayStation Vita). Some people have mentioned the cord being too long behind the neck. Even though it is a bit longer than what seems to be necessary, it doesn't really get in the way, whether I have the cord tucked inside my jacket or moving freely when I'm wearing just a t-shirt.

So, the bottom-line... The XBA-BT75 tick all the right boxes, if you're looking for some bluetooth in-ear headphones, except for the very important one regarding sound quality (at its price range). I cannot recommend these to anyone expecting a "premium" sound quality. If you tend to be a Sony fanboy (like I do), maybe you'll get a kick out of them, but apart from style and ease of fit, there's nothing worthy of mention about the XBA-BT75. If you're looking for some good bluetooth in-ear headphones and you care about how your music sounds, please look elsewhere (you can start by checking my review update below). My experience with them has not been as "wow" as that of other reviewers and, as such, I thought I'd warn other potential buyers about it.
Are the XBA-BT75 worth the current £80 price tag? Not really. Are they not worth the £160+ price tag other sellers are offering here on Amazon right now? That was a rhetorical question, of course. Should its price tag drop below £50, then I will happily add one more star to my review and actually start recommending them.
These were my first bluetooth in-ear headphones, so I'm not sure if I should expect more disappointing sound quality from other brands, concerning this specific type of headphones. Regardless, I have recently ordered the Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 and the Creative WP-250, to see how they compare to the XBA-BT75. I will update this review once I get to try the Plantronics and Creative ones.
For now, I am sadly still sticking to my wired but trusty Sony MDR-EX500LP in-ear headphones, until a better bluetooth equivalent solution comes along.

Sony, I am disappoint.

---

UPDATE (06/06/2014): Just to get the bad out of the way first, a quick reference to the Creative WP-250: they're one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever put inside my ears, I couldn't even finish one song with them on and returned them right away. After spending some time with both the XBA-BT75 and the Plantronics BackBeat GO 2, I am now able to wholeheartedly recommend the Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 to anyone looking for an excellent wireless sound quality for its price tag. The Plantronics headphones trump all over the Sony ones in terms of sound quality, presenting a tighter and deeper bass (without being overwhelming), while keeping the higher frequencies crystal clear, and not muddled, like it happens with these Sony headphones. Not only that, but the Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 function as a much better pair of bluetooth in-ear headphones overall, presenting a better charging case (better protection and useful LED info on battery charge/charging status) and better audio notifications (headset on/off, pairing, battery level, etc.). The only thing in which they truly lose to the XBA-BT75 is in terms of battery performance (only a little bit over 3 hours of music after a full charge on the BackBeat GO 2). Apart from that, everything about the Plantronics offering had me very impressed, so much that they're now my everyday choice earbuds, having finally replaced my trusty wired Sony MDR-EX500LP.
For the price being asked for each one, from my experience, this is a no-brainer. Sony nailed the style, Plantronics nailed the sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Jan. 2015
Perfect sound quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken after 6 months, 17 May 2013
Returned as the sound in one ear went so low I could hardly hear it so I sent it back and the seller sent it back to Sony who apparently have said it was due to physical damage however as I only wear them around the house find this to be a total cop out so I would advise anyone not to purchase this not only because they break but because obviously the customer service by sony is NIL!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jan. 2015