5.0 out of 5 stars Just superb, don't waste money on other expensive models!
Published on 30 Jun. 2012 by Ray

3.0 out of 5 stars Average
The sound quality as noted in other reviews is very good. However, the external sound exclusion is poor and if you wear glasses they will begin to hurt after half an hour or so. I have used them in the house just listening to music while working which is fine but outside mowing the lawn I could very little of the music. It seems I need to invest in some good sound...
Published 12 months ago by Louis

5.0 out of 5 stars Just superb, don't waste money on other expensive models!, 30 Jun. 2012
Ray (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red (Electronics)
For the past month I've been trying various different headphones which I can use on a daily basis. I have tried the Bose QuietComfort 15 (QC15) and both B&W P3 and P5 headphones which all cost between £250 - £280. I've also got a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones in addition to some old Sony MDR-V300 and Sennheiser Noise Isolation earphones. I can honestly say that the quality of these Sony MDR-V55 headphones is just brilliant and for me these are the best headphones of the lot. They fold easily into my laptop bag, fit very comfortably (much more so than the Sennheiser HD280 headphones) as they're not too tight and the sound quality is just spot on. After trying the B&W P5 headphones, which do sound 'very nice' but for me they didn't isolate the outside noise very much and just cost a fortune. The Bose QC15's were amazing at noise cancellation (only low frequencies, high pitched noised won't cancel out), so great for airplane travel, but I just couldn't see how the quality was any better than my Sennheiser earphones.

These Sony headphones are very stylish yet comfortable, and have a great feel to the sound across all frequencies. The bass is better than the B&W headphones whilst the mid to top frequencies are crystal clear. I use these for both music and listening to my language tuition when traveling on the train, sitting in the garden, etc. They're the perfect solution for that.

The only thing I wish it had was a case to keep it in, and a better way of wrapping up the lead. Other than that, for the price you really can't go wrong and I for one have saved hundreds of pounds compared to the other makes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony MDR-V55, 30 April 2012
This review is from: Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red (Electronics)
Where to start... what an epic, epic product. I'm not going to lie, I didn't think they would be this good when I first set my eyes on them.

Sound - I've listened to everything from drum n bass, dubstep, metal through to folk, pop and classical music on these headphones over the last couple of weeks. Incredible clarity across all genres of music. The bass has a real kick to it, but that doesn't mean you lose any of the top end. You can really hear all of the different layers of the composition. Volume isn't an issue at all - most headphones I've had in the past will distort when I crank my volume up to 100% - these just sound better when I hit 100%.

Look - very stylish. The morning they arrived I took them into work and listened whilst I worked... within half an hour of being sat at my desk I was interrupted 7 times by people telling me how cool they looked! The blue chord is a really nice touch - I love the way it is flat as opposed to the conventional round chord... a small detail, but I like it. Another small detail that I admire is the colour coded "L" and "R" so you can quickly see which ear is which.

Comfort - very comfortable headphones overall. A perfect fit to my ears and I get a satisfying feeling when I take them off my head and let them hang around my neck because the material is so soft. The chord only extends from one ear which is another detail that I like - you're less likely to get yourself in a tangle!

Storage - an effective folding system makes them easy to pack into a bag for transport.

Definitely 5* headphones that I would recommend to anybody who is serious about their music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic- The best in it's class!, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red (Electronics)
I had been searching the internet for a few months, looking for a pair of great headphones, but couldn't make my mind up. I focused on Sennheiser, Sony, Skullcandy and many others. What I was looking for was a pair of headphones with strong but accurate bass and crisp mids and highs. I struggled to find this within my £100 price budget. I decided to take my phone to a local electronic store and try out every pair of headphones on display to try. I tried about 12 different pairs. I tried Philips, Skullcandy, Sony and Beats by Dr Dre. Well to start off, I was shocked by how terrible nearly each pair sounded. This highs were muffled and there was very little bass, if any at all. Bear in mind this was at the £60 mark! I then noticed these headphones right in the middle of the Beats and the Sony XB600's. First I tried the XB600s.... I thought the bass was good, but that's it. There was no depth or clarity within the mids and highs. I then tried these Sony's and was impressed straight away. They were the only headphones I'd tried so far which had clear mids and highs, but also a great bass response. I quickly realised these were probably going to be the ones. I then decided to compare them to the 'supposedly' fantastic Beats by Dr Dre. The Beats were £170. I put them on and after listening to them, all I could say it that they were terrible. The bass was inaccurate, damp, and the mids and highs were not clear at all. I went back to these sony's and I was once again impressed. I decided these were the ones to get. I checked to see if there were any left and I was lucky, there was one pair left. This told me that I wasn't the only one who thought they were good as all the other headphones were in stock and none had been purchased. I chose the red ones. By the way, they look great and feel very well made.
When I got home, I connected the headphones to my iPad (3rd Gen) and began playing some music. I was very disappointed, I thought I'd wasted my money. The highs were very sharp and too loud. I then decided to leave them for half an hour on nearly full volume to allow them to be 'run in' a bit. After half an hour, I went back to them and my smile reappeared. WOW. It seems the 'run in' was what was needed. The bass was fantastic, and the mids and highs were crisp and clear. After a few days now, I can say that they are fantastic, the bass is very powerful with the right songs, but at the same time, the bass doesn't overpower the mids and highs at all. As you turn the volume up, not only does the bass increase, so does everything else, which makes for a well balanced sound. I've tried many different types of music Including rock, pop, jazz, techno, classical music, film soundtracks (e.g. the Impossible) and many other types. Each song blew me away. These headphones are capable with every genre. I consider myself an audiophile so sound quality has to be perfect for me. One other thing I like is not only hearing the bass but also feeling it. Well with these headphones, with the right songs, you can. It feels fantastic!
So that's the sound quality done. Now on to looks and build quality-
They look great in the black and red colour. They look expensive and professional. They do not look cheap in any way. I would recommend staying away from the black ones with white ear pads and I guess they will get dirty after hours of use. I find the build quality very good, with no sense of cheap plastic quality. Some have mentioned they creak. Well they're plastic, they are going to. But you cannot hear it with music playing so this issue can be disregarded as it doesn't affect the headphones sound quality.
They feel comfortable on the ears and don't feel too heavy. They are not too big either so you won't look slightly strange walking around town or on the train. After a while, they do start to feel slightly uncomfortable so I just take them off for a few seconds then out them back on. I'm talking after over an hour though.
One issue is at loud volumes, they do leak sound, so I wouldn't put them on full volume when using public transport , unless you don't care about everyone else hearing your music. I don't find it a problem though because I know that all headphones for this price range do, so there's no way of avoiding it. It doesn't make them bad though, they are as said earlier, just fab. Sony should be proud of them.

So to conclude, I would say to anyone who's considering them to not even think about any others, just get these. Ignore all the reviews saying too much bass aswell, they are not to bassy, they give out as much as is needed. I would also recommend getting the black and red ones as in my opinion, they look the best.
Thanks for reading and I hope this helps you decide. Enjoy these headphones. They're great, you will never be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones but they squeak whilst walking., 9 May 2014
M. E. Finch "MrEssex" (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red (Electronics)
As others have said, bass and mid heavy, la la la.

When walking they squeak and creak. You need to add a very, and i mean, very small amount of SILICONE oil to the 4 points where the arms attach to the ear phones (see pic).

Make sure you use SILICONE oil and not normal oil, normal oil will degrade the plastic, silicone oil is designed for plastic.

I applied this to mine and they are now squeak free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for great headphones? You've just found them!, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red (Electronics)
I've had a pair of Sony MDR-V55 headphones now for around 6 months, and they just keep getting better, i was impressed by the techincal information, but i was blown away by the sound they produce, it's a rich, deep sound, that doesn't have an overwhelming bass and the treble is clear and precise (unlike many others fashion brands like Beats etc.), also the mid-ranges are not over-emphasised, everything is 'just right', i tried them against many other headphones including Beats (Solo, Mixr, Studio and Pro), Monster (Inspiring and Diesel), Bose (OE2 and QuietComfort), Goji (Tinchy) and SMS (50 Cent) some of these ranging up to £400!!! and they were no where near as good as the sound, many were clearly terrible (especially the Monster, SMS and Beats headphones which had a horrible overwhelming bass that drowned out the mid ranges and treble), although the Goji's weren't bad but not amazing and the Bose's were a good sound but a bit uncomfortable for my liking.
This brings me onto the comfort that these have as well (which I have to admit wasn't my main priority) but I was pleasantly surprised, as well as being the best sounding headphones they were also very comfy (in my opinion) as the soft cushions provide a soft noise reducer to the outside world and all the comfort you need.

Overall, these are brilliantly sounding headphones that provide the comfort to be worn for hours and also a price that just beats the pants off anything else i've seen including headphones that cost 10x's the price of these, if you're looking for a great pair of headphones for a bargain, YOU@VE JUST FOUND THEM!

4.0 out of 5 stars MDRV55 - Great product for the budget minded DJ, 1 May 2012
Straight out of the box, these headphones have a great aesthetic and feel light but strong on your ears. Maintaining a similar style to the older 700 range while delivering a slick new overall design that makes the MDRV55 a welcome addition to the Pro DJ headphone range.

A common bug bare about the old 700 range was that they had a cumbersome and awkward build that ultimately felt like 2 speakers strapped to your head. The MDR-V55 has solved this dilema by reducing the cup size to align more with other popular DJ headphone choices without losing the noise cancellation that the larger cans delivered.

The MDR-V55 has a great solid output to the sound - not too heavy in the low end whilst retaining clarity throughout the mid range. After several hours at considerable volume the high end response has not caused any discomfort and have even finally replaced the Sennheisers that have travelled across the globe with me for years.

I always liked the sturdy build to the old 700 range - but disliked the easily breakable hinge - the MDR-V55's have been tested over and over for rough treatment and there doesn't seem to be any concerns in my mind that the hinge is likely to be a nuisance. Well done Sony for a great set of headphones at an even better price point than the other comparable models and brands in the marketplace today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than my sennheiser & philips by a country mile, 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red (Electronics)
i own the sennheiser HD202,the philips stretch & the philips shibuya & i did own numerous other models in the past inc Sony XB range.the Sony mdr v55 in terms of sound quality,built quality & looks easily puts all of my current & previous headphones to shame. i'm very happy with my new mdr v55 at last i found me a very high quality headphones which produce the sound i was looking for and are reasonably comfy to wear at a reasonable price. from now on i will only go to SONY for headphones,their products are always manufactured to the highest standards which i truly appreciate.(oh btw bass lovers the bass on the mdr v55 is very rich & reminds me a little of that of the XB500 headphones which had very powerful bass but sadly the sound was muffled to me,i use xonar DG sound card on my pc & sansa clip zip mp3 player)

only bad thing about these high quality headphones is the sound LEAKS at high volume & comfort is not amazing but also far from been classed as uncomfortable headphones & they're much comfier than my HD 202 & philips shibuya,i'm only going to use mdr v55 from now on. :)

style 5/5
sound quality 5/5 :) thank you Sony
built quality 5/5
comfort 3.5/5
sound leak 2.5/5

enjoy the amazing MDR V55. ;)

thanks to my favourite online retailer for publishing my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them., 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red (Electronics)
Love these headphones. Had been using my partners Seinhauser's but found them too tight so decided to return to Sony. The MDR-V55 beat the Seinhauser's hands down all round. I like to be able to hear every element of my music clearly and with these you can. I was picking up things that I had never heard before and the vocals are crystal. They are heavier on the bass than others I've had but I like that so its not a problem for me but I'm sure a fiddle with the graphic equaliser would tone it down if it was too much though.

I bought them to listen to music on my laptop while working so the shorter one sided cabal is brilliant. If positioned right they do shut out environmental noise well. Haven't come across the creak that others have talked about, mine are silent. They do press on the ears to start with but have become more comfortable with use, I should also say that I have a lot of metalwork in my ears so the fact that they have become more comfortable at all is impressive.

All round a good set of headphones at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding headphones, 22 July 2012
This review is from: Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red (Electronics)
These are surely the best headphones in their price zone (and possibly beyond!). The bass sound is deep but really clear the top end is pretty good too and they sit comfortably on the head. The only reason why I've notgiven it 5 stars has nothing to do with the sound, but only to do with the length of lead which is 1 metre. Come on Sony...you could have given us a bit more to play with! I'll have to buy an extension lead.

5.0 out of 5 stars A amazing product, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red (Electronics)
Like many before me I was happy with the sub-par experience I was getting out of my £15 - £20 Skull Candy. But after they broke after 3 months use (again) I just had to move on. I enlisted a friend who's a huge audiophile to come up with a list of the best budget headphones he could find. He returned post-haste with a link to these gorgeous headphones he spouted off why these are the best in only the way an audiophile could. But I remember very little of that conversation what I do remember is him saying they are better than most or even all beats by dre. I'm not here to give you an in-depth review of the technical side but I will be telling you how I felt about them 4 months on.
The Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones offer the best audio experience I have ever had. The cups are cushiony and soft keeping the majority of the sound from escaping, they also won't hurt you ears from excessive wear times as long has you have the sliders set to best fit your head. The cups can also be turn to any direction for better storage, or to be turned in to headphone speakers.

The slider is made out of a thin metal and has a hard plastic strip on the inside. This for me make them amazing I no longer have to worry about pulling to hard and snapping them (Like with SkullCandys) they can be adjusted to 10 notches on each side allowing for even me with my big head to enjoy.

The band after the slider is made out of a rubber material. It keeps light and soft on the head and you will barely know it's there, however on removal you may notice of the inside a build-up of hair product or grease but it's not the end of the world just rub it off with a cloth or your hand.

And finally the sound. I mentioned before my friend mentioned they are better than a lot of beats by dre products. And after using this product and trying the others I can truly say that these far surpassed them, the audio doesn't feel over processed it's just fine for all kinds of music tastes. I've used this product for 4 months and I have not once heard a drop in quality like I did with other products.

Over all I would recommend this to any they are simply amazing and I would buy another pair if need be.

Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - Red