5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read
This book was fantastic! Really easy-reading and skilfully written to have me laughing out loud throughout. I could not put it down and cannot wait to read the sequel. A perfect read for teenagers and adults alike.
Published on 6 Jan. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, yet overrated
I had to read this one rapidly as it belonged to one of my fellow travellers and she left soon afterwards, but I managed in 5 hours (two nights). Easy reading material can be concluded. Highly appreciated in the press everywhere. I wouldn't say it's brilliant, but I had to laugh out loud quite a few times while reading. In the style Adrian Mole made famous, Bridget is a...
Published on 16 Sept. 2003 by Gerben Kappert

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Aug. 2014
Just perfect

3.0 out of 5 stars A funny novel..., 2 Feb. 2011
This is a funny diarised account of 'a 30 something' woman, who lives life mostly without a man of her own in her life....it made me laugh, but having already seen the film, the written word was somehow a little disappointing for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Feb. 2015
Good read !

5.0 out of 5 stars Come on, haven't you read this yet?, 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Bridget Jones's Diary (Paperback)
Good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 27 Feb. 2015
very good

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed out loud!, 12 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
Saw the movie first, loved it, bought the book and wasn't disappointed, I was able to picture the book, and enjoyed it as much as the movie. Helen Fielding has a sense of humour to die for, and makes you laugh from the gut.

1.0 out of 5 stars One (bad) joke that runs and runs, 26 April 2001
By A Customer
This was recommended a few years ago by a woman I worked with. I read about five pages and gave up. With the release of the film, I thought I'd try again. Relative success at 25 pages before putting it down.
Diaries are usually boring for all but the writer and, when the character is as tedious as Bridget, this is even more true.
The film is actually better than the book - and that doesn't happen very often.

2.0 out of 5 stars 20th Century Neuroses, 19 Oct. 2003
Bridget Jones is your typical 30-something single woman in any large city around the world. At least that's what Helen Fielding would like us to believe. The truth is Bridget Jones is certainly an atypical 30-something single female from a "comfortable" background with a good job, in publishing as it happens, and all the attendant middle-class hangups about her physical size and what people think about her.
If you are not part of this "clique" and you just know that she went to a public school and not the local comprehensive, then this book may well leave you cold. The only bits that will ring true are the getting righteiusly plastered with girlfriends whilst setting the world to rights and bemoaning all men
Frankly this book fitted a time and a place that just doesn't exist any more for most of the world's population. It passes a rainy afternoon but that is about all that can be said for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Feb. 2015
v good

1.0 out of 5 stars 11 p.m. Oh Joy. Last page. V.Dull. Will stop believing hype., 29 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
I am so frustrated by the hype surrounding this book; the women crying out "This is ME!" - I would be embarrased to admit that! I'm a young woman, I have certain worries and insecurities, I've lost love, put on weight in the wrong places - that's no excuse to become a tragic, self obsessed bore! It's not that women don't want to be happy, to find love, to enjoy their job, to be their ideal self - it's just that most of us have a LIFE along the way! Bridget is not someone I could be friends with. All the "witticisms" and clever-one-liners in this book seemed so TIRED to me - I couldn't find anything original to enjoy. The style is stilted, and the diary format just an excuse not to formulate interesting or full sentences. But if you like predictable, self-referencial, cliche ridden pulp, you might enjoy it! If you're NOT one of the "Woe-is-me" generation, however, the back cover tells you all you need to know, and can save you an hour or two of tedium.

Bridget Jones"s Diary
Bridget Jones"s Diary by Helen Fielding (Paperback - 1996)
Used & New from: £0.01