5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome bit of kit
I've wanted an AR Drone since they came out 2 years ago. When version 2.0 was released I caved in and bought one.

Things to note:
- Many parts on the outer shells are stuck on. Go around everything when new and make sure it is stuck down properly. On both indoor and outdoor hulls the magnet which holds it onto the base came unstuck on mine
- YOU WILL...
Published on 9 Aug 2012 by Mr. J. Allfree

3.0 out of 5 stars Parrot AR.Drone2 Quadcopter
I offer these comments with by 7 years experience of building and flying radio controlled helicopters.

The Drone is considered to be a toy...it is NOT a toy! I would not purchase it for anyone under 15 years old.

Published on 17 July 2012 by Michael J. Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome bit of kit, 9 Aug 2012

Things to note:
- YOU WILL break propellor shafts - I've broken 2 already. Order the 4 pack of gears/shafts/circlips. Pity you can't buy the shafts on their own. I think they are a deliberate weak point to stop other things breaking (motors/propellors). I have spare propellors but not broken any yet. Maybe get the drone tool as well as ciclips are fiddly (though care and jewellers screwdrivers or teeny pliers will work)
- Until you are (really) good at flying, fly over something soft (grass) - you will crash (if a gust of wing catches it in a turn and it tilts too far the engines cut out and it will plummet to the ground)
- Do not fly in anything but a light wind or less - it will crash more
- Don't expect to be able to fly from the screen on your phone
- Flight time is only about 15 mins - order another battery if you want more play time
- May be obvious, but turn the sound on on your ipad/iphone etc - it gives you an audible warning with the battery is low (once this sounds, land quickly and it cuts out seconds after the alarm)
- The video recording feature is fun but not amazing - don't expect too much of it.
- The down facing camera it aweful - it's purely there for the oboard computer to detect movement

Overall awesome piece of technology. Do buy the spares, you will need them. It's expensive but great fun (Parrot do not recommend for anyone under 15 I think... I think they're probably right)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best R C toy flying machine ever so far..........., 25 Jan 2013
Got this for Christmas 2012 and this has been my best Christmas present ever, I did buy a extra battery "a must for anyone" as the battery that came with the drone only lasts 10 mins.

I have had a few odd experiences when flying indoors with the drone flying up to the celling and not responding to the control only stopping when I hit the land button. Not sure why this happens as I make sure the downward facing camera can see a target on the floor as it uses this to keep its location.

I have lost signal out side on one occasion but the drone just stayed still in the same place until I got my connection back and then I took back control.

Overall they are a bit costly but the hours of fun and enjoyment you will get from flying this drone and watching your on board video is well worth the price.

I love it the kids love it and its so easy to fly. So easy there is a button to take off, if you loose control you just let go of the joysticks and it stops any movement and waits for your next command, then to land there is a land button too.

Ps Parrot are soon bring out a new GPS device for the AR Drone 2.0 that will give us all more to think about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 with Outdoor Hull in various colours (Accessory)
Great fun, only let down is how much flying time you get between charges, about 10 minutes if your lucky.
Why not ship it with the better battery instead I making you buy it as an extra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 4 Mar 2013
Karen (Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
An amazing 60th birthday present! Contrary to many online reviews it handles surprisingly well in the wind. Looks and feels ridiculously delicate, though it has managed to survive a few knocks including being flown into a conservatory so it can't be that bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome ar drone 2.0, 21 Jun 2012
J. Smith (lincloln, uk) - See all my reviews
Have had a few R/C toys in my time and this beats them all hands down.
Had seen the drone 1 and videos of it in action and wanted one but heard there was a 2.0 coming out with improved features so opted to wait and im glad i did.
the forward cam is good wouldn't class it as HD but is better than the 1.0 and is great for videos and piloting from the view. the downward cam is not so great, pretty blurry and lo res. hopefully will be an upgradeable part in the future.
in terms of durability i can only say its good. have had some big crashes and have so far only broke a gear cog, which was cheap and easy to replace and the central cross which is not so easy to replace but ok you have any hand skills. The damage was caused by fairly big crashes from quite high so expected to be repairing. the indoor hull broke after first flight with it and didnt seem to take much abuse at all, the outside hull is much better though.
I think they are well worth the price even though it is quite high they pack a lot of features and are easy to fly and eveyone you will show will be amazed at how stable it is.
well done Parrot
james

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and well built toy., 27 Mar 2013
I enjoy flying tiny helicopters round my front room so much that I thought I'd splash out a little bit more money and buy something with more range, that I can take outside.
In the end I went for the AR Drone, and I have not been dissapointment with my purchase one little bit.
I am surprised at how well built the Parrot AR Drone 2.0 is, I have crashed it too many times to remember, yet the drone is still flying.
I bought some spare batteries as 10 minutes just flies by (excuse the pun). I also bought a 60beat controller pad, as I find flying the drone by tilting the IPad is a little bit weird to me, it's made flying the drone much much easier.
Only thing I'd say is that having had it for about 6 weeks now, I now want a more expensive drone, that does everything a little bit better !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Parrot AR.Drone2 Quadcopter, 17 July 2012

It is a fairly sophisticated piece of flying electronics and good fun, too. It is relatively delicate and should be handled carefully if it's to provide enjoyment and entertainment over a long period. Flying it doesn't require extensive helicopter experience as it has some good safety features and controlling it from a mobile phone or iPad, is a novel idea. The forward looking video camera is high quality and can provide the very enjoyable experience of flying it from a pilot's viewpoint. Parrot majors on it's ability to be flown indoors...I think it's to big to be flown safely in the average household. It really needs a good open space to be enjoyed to it's maximum.

It's battery is Lithium Polymer, which are highly volatile and MUST be handled exactly as described in the instructions. The battery supplied provides only 10 - 15 minutes of flight but requires one and a half hours to be recharged, which I find disappointing.

On my second day of ownership and on startup for it's fourth flight, one of it's motor circuit boards overheated and burnt out! This has happened to a number of people and indicates a problem which Parrot need to urgently address. I purchased and fitted a replacement motor and have flown at least 10 times since without problems todate. A number of other issues are posted on the Parrot forum but I've not experienced any of them. I would suspect that at least some of them result from handling/setup errors by the owners!

In summary, if it's a toy it's expensive but relatively sophisticated. It's not overly robust and requires considerate handling but is very good fun and can even be used for serious aerial photography and video. There are technical issues which Parrot need to address.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gadgets reach new heights!, 3 Aug 2013
I actually got this drone as I regulary go off-road driving and its great for checking ahead on the course and recording me on video getting stuck.

It does take some practice to control and I would not recommend using it inside, sadly one of my partners plants was killed in the making of this review...

The battery life is not too bad and higher capacity batteries can be purchased if you need them. The video is pretty good, recoring at 720p and with the latest firmware update it reduces the amount of "Shakyness" on the video.

A welcome addition to any man cave gadget array!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have grown up boys toy, 6 Dec 2012
I bought this for my partner. Mr Gadget who loves flying all things remote control. This is a massive success. He was so desperate to get this and it's everything it promised to be. It is controlled by our iPad, iPhone and Galaxy S3 Android. You can play games with it, you can film with it and watch back what you tape. There are a lot more games for the 1.0 version and hopefully they will migrate across for the 2.0 Drone too. It's easy to fly, easy to control and robust. This is definitely the gadget of the year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera if the curtains are open, 5 Jun 2013
Great for spying on neighbours in HD.

If your neighbour is fit like mine, then this is excellent for flying over the hedge and having a look at what they're up to, having for lunch or wearing etc.

However, be careful not to fly it too close to pet labradors. They start barking and alert people.

Oh and don't let your wife catch you. "The wind made it drift over there" wasn't a plausible explanation apparently.