5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job.
I bought this product to replace a very old Lite-on dvd recorder when my region recently switched over to digital. I've had it about a month now and am so far very impressed. Picture and sound quality are excellent which naturally was my main requirement. Setup was simple, just connected it to my Samsung TV using a HDMI cable and followed the on screen instructions...
Published on 13 May 2012 by Kevin C.

3.0 out of 5 stars LG RHT599H HDD/DVD Recorder.
Having recently replaced my Panasonic HDD/DVD Recorder with the LG RHT599H HDD/DVD Recorder, I must admit that the differences are very suprising as each has it's +&-'s.

Published 21 months ago by SC

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 13 May 2012
This review is from: LG RHT599H 500GB HDD DVD Recorder with Freeview+ (Electronics)
To configure the remote to operate your TV just follow the instruction booklet to the letter but don't expect to see anything on the screen while doing this as I did. It just works.
The HDD is huge and I haven't come close to filling it up yet, it will record about 250 hours in SP mode. The unit looks good and is very quiet and is unnoticeable while watching a recorded program on the TV.
One minor niggle is that the auto chapter setting which I've set at every 15 minutes only seems to work on the DVD drive and not on the HDD but maybe I'm doing something wrong there. You can set chapter marks manually using the remote.

All in all I'm very happy with the LG RHT599H and would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars LG RHT599H HDD/DVD Recorder., 21 Oct 2012
SC (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews

The plus for the LG is the large HDD at a fraction of the cost compaired to the Panasonic model I replaced due to the 160GB HDD packing up. The price now plays a part when purchasing or replacing products and the price compaired to the Panasonic is a reasonable saving.

The minuses are poor editing features on the LG, as they are not spot on to the frame/edit as the Panasonic model was. When recording and watching the program the audio description is showing which can be very annoying. The menu navigation gets some getting used too as there are to many key inputs for a small operation, the Panasonic was so straight forward and less robotic.

All in all I do think you get value for money and the machine is perfect for day to day use when required to record soaps, having a healthy 500GB HDD thats many hours of recording.

I don't accept the remarks of the previous reviews regarding the remote control being plasticity when this remote and all the other remotes are made from plastic not metal although the keys could have been slightly larger.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent piece of kit, 22 Nov 2012
B. Coote (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this machine for a relative to replace an ageing recorder. He finds it a great way to record on the fly but also uses the built in DVD burner to archive programmes he wishes to keep, which of course is excellent if you are prone to buying DVD releases from the BBC etc. He loves it and thinks it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 28 Mar 2013
Received this today. Very well packaged, promptly delivered and a good price (14 less than when I first checked it out a couple of weeks ago) - 190.
Bought to replace our vintage LG VCR/DVD player which still works fine but is hopelessly out of date now, and a bit of a brick.
Setup was very straightforward. We have Virginmedia so it was just a case of unplugging the old VCR and plugging this one in. It automatically searched for channels but once it had found the cable feed I stopped it looking further. Although it has Freeview+ built-in we won't be using it unless Virgin wacks the subs up too high! There are tons of bells and whistles so we started by just making sure we had it connected up correctly so as to see TV this evening with the recorder turned on and turned off (i.e. pass through). No problem.
We then tried a brief recording just to learn how to do it and, again, it's very straightforward as long as you read through the relevant bit in the brief but sufficient manual. Frankly, once you've set up one recording it's pretty much second nature and logical. One pleasant surprise was the lack of tape noise (obviously!). 500Gb seems loads of space (compared to our old 3 hours max) but I'm sure we'll soon be filling it with all sorts of stuff.
Next step will be burning to DVD.
A very neat, trim piece of kit.
If I can work out how to do it I will update this review as we try out all its capabilities over the next few weeks.

update 6th April, 2013
Continuing to work well. Copying (dubbing) to DVD very simple and fast - as long as you remember to set it to the 'fast' option. I set my first DVD copy to SP (standard play) so it played the recording and dubbed it in real time. My second one took about 4 minutes for a recording of about 1hr 40mins. The timeslip feature is very good. Once you start recording, if you missed the beginning then, as long as the recording is at least 15 seconds into the programme then you can get it to play it from the beginning while it continues to record the rest of the programme.
I used Amazon generic blank DVD+R disks. Formatting was straightforward, page 26 of the little manual, as was finalising. Both recorded DVDs run fine on the player and on my PC.

3.0 out of 5 stars LG RHT599H RECORDER, 13 July 2012
I WAS A BIT DUBIOUS ABOUT BUYING THIS UNIT AFTER READING SEVERAL REVIEWS ABOUT IT. OK, I'V HAD IT ABOUT A MONTH AND TWO THINGS STAND OUT AS GRIM; THE WAITING TIME BEFORE ANYTHING HAPPENS AFTER PRESSING THE KEY PAD IS PAINFULLY SLOW, SEVERAL TIMES I THOUGHT THE UNIT HAD RETIRED FOR THE DAY. THE KEY PAD -- OH DEAR! OK FOR CHILDRENS FINGERS BUT VERY FRUSTRATING FOR A GROWN MALE. THE KEYS ARE TOO SMALL, MUCH TOO SMALL. HOWEVER, GOOD POINTS OUTWEIGH THE BAD; EASY HDD RECORDING AND PLAYBACK, AS IS DVD, FIRST TIME SETUP DOES ITSELF, HDMI TAKES SEVERAL MINUTES, PLENTY OF ONSCREEN INFORMATION, EXCELLENT SIZE HDD... AFTER READING REVIEWS OF A NUMBER OF OTHER RECORDERS AND THEIR DOWNFALLS, I'M GETTING USED TO THE TWO GRIM POINTS OF THE 599H AND CONSIDER THE UNIT A VERY GOOD BUY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use., 13 May 2012
I bought this LG as i had bought my partner an LG for Christmas and he has nothing but praise for it. I have bought the same brand but upped the HDD storage. I have found that,from scratch,the LG has been very easy to use and the instructions are very easy to follow. The recording quality is very good but i have only used the XP setting for the quality as i have not recorded vast amounts that would require me to lengthen it to LP or more. The LG is respectably quiet and the only time that i hear it is when i switch the TV off for the night and then you can just make out the hum of the machine. It is a reasonable size but thin and very slick looking. The first set up is very easy as well as it virtually does it by itself. I have only used the HDD to record onto but i have used the DVD player to watch DVDs and that is as you would expect from any DVD player. I would recommend this item to anyone who has to buy a new recorder to replace a broken item or just needs to,as i had to,upgrade so that i they can carry on watching and recording after the Digital switchover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I wanted it to! Excellent value for money, 17 Mar 2013
I spent quite a while researching DVD recorders as they all seem to have a slightly different spec. This ticks all the boxes for me with 500GB of memory, freeview+ which allows you to pause and rewind live tv, the remote can also control the tv even though it is not an LG tv. The list of this machine's capabilities seems endless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Dec 2012
This recorder is so simple to use one touch record has its own guide I cannot fault the unit. I have connected it to my LG TV both speak to each other A1 goods

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this machine, 28 Oct 2012
L. Olding (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I decided to buy this machine due to one of cost and that it handled dvd ram discs, as I had a few from using a previous machine. I found it pretty simple to set up and use. The storage has proven to be more than enough for me and if I need to archive a recording then I can copy it to a dvd disc easily.

I did try the setting to get the maximum duration that can be recorded on the HD but found that obviously the quality dropped quite drastically. I found leaving it in LP mode gives me more than 400 hrs of recording time without noticable quality degradation.

Would I buy another if I needed to, yes I would!

2.0 out of 5 stars LG RHT599H 500GB HDD DVD Recorder with Freeview+, 21 Oct 2013
This unit has had 2 glitches (failures) so far in the 4 weeks that I have had it. Like all combined DVD and HDD recorders it suffers from the odd glitch.

It is NOT logical or intuitive to use once you get beyond a simple record a TV program. If you want logic and greater simplicity in use then buy a Panasonic.

PROBLEM AREAS:

On initial setup it failed to find and store all of the available Freeview channels (including the main ITV ones). But, on doing a full re-scan the unit did appear to find and store all available channels.

It failed to record a BBC program (2nd of 4) set on series record.

Other than a simple record (one off for one program) setting record from the guide is NOT intuitive and the various options are not explained in the brief instruction booklet. Series record does not show as such in the "Timer Recording" listing although it does (mostly) seem to work. So resist the temptation to edit it manually to specify "weekly" or "daily".

If you cancel (delete) a series record in the "Timer Record" listing the item reappears in the list if there are still future programs available. You need to go to the next occurrence of the program in the guide and press "Record" again. This removes the record marker from the guide and deletes the entry from the "Timer Record" listing. Panasonic is much simpler!

The response time for actions from the remote is a little slow, but id you are not a manic button presser then you can live with this.

You cannot "MARK" items on DVD discs for multiple copying (dubbing) to the HDD. But you can "MARK" items on the HDD for mutiple copying to a DVD.

GOOD POINTS:

It is cheaper than an equivalent specification Panasonic and has a much greater variety of connectors than the newer Panasonic models. So if you want to record from other devices and are reasonable technically competent this is for you.

The HDD at 500GB has more than enough storage for you to keep programs for months until you get around to viewing them.

The quality of both picture and sound on recordings is excellent, and the up-scaling of DVDs is good.

OVERALL:

Providing the problems experienced so far do NOT increase it does not seem to be as bad as some of the worst reviews suggest. BUT, neither is it as good as the best reviews would suggest.

Generally it seems (mostly) that it does what it is supposed to although it is awkward and illogical to use at times. But it does what it should (I hope).

But as said above ALL of these combined DVD Recorder and HDD Recorder machines do have their own peculiarities and glitches. YES, we should expect better from these major manufacturers but I do not think we will get it unless we all STOP buying their goods until they get it right!

Amendment to above (30/10/13) - having been away for a week and set 2 recordings I returned to find that this unit had NOT recorded either!! It appears to have locked up trying to perform a software download. Front panel showed OTA when switched on and screen showed software download which was not moving and stayed at around 25% complete. In set up I have unticked the "download in standby mode" option but only time will tell if this solves the problem. LG NEED TO REVIEW THE SOFTWARE OF THIS PRODUCT AND RELEASE A DEBUGGED VERSION VIA THEIR WEBSITE. All settings that are set to on by default should work and should NOT disrupt the operation of the unit. I NOW QUESTION IF THIS UNIT IS FIT FOR PURPOSE - IF IT CANNOT BE RELIED UPON TO RECORD PROGRAMS (IT's PRIMARY PURPOSE) THEN IT IS NOT.

I HAVE NOW REDUCED MY RATING FOR THIS PRODUCT FROM 3 STARS TO 2 STARS.

LG RHT599H 500GB HDD DVD Recorder with Freeview+