5.0 out of 5 stars Well this was interesting....................!
This is a dark erotic tale of Lydia who when faced with imprisonment for her corporate crime is given another option, to disappear with a new identity to a new world living with three men who have also 'disappeared'.

Lydia (not her real name), has to be completely and utterly subservient to the men by her own choosing or she will face her other fate...
Published on 23 Nov. 2012 by KITTEN

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing storyline
The Erotic Dark (A BDSM Erotica Novel) Nina Lane

I bought this book after seeing it recommended on another site. Whether I buy books or receive ARC's the review is the same – always my honest opinion. I don't gush and give false praise – I don't believe that helps readers or authors so what you read is what I truly feel about a book...
Published on 22 Mar. 2013 by Jeannie Zelos

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing storyline, 22 Mar. 2013
The Erotic Dark (A BDSM Erotica Novel) Nina Lane

Lydia is seeking escape to avoid being caught for embezzling her firm and embarrassing her family, affecting their careers and happiness. Preston, her childhood friend promises to help her if she gives total control of herself to him. He takes her to a secluded island where she becomes a ...not sure what term to use, sex slave doesn't seem right exactly but in essence that’s what she is. Preston and his colleagues Gabriel and Kruin use and punish Lydia as they wish and she hates it at first but learns that objecting just brings further punishment. They're a dark trio and each have their own ways of treating her – I wonder what’s in their backgrounds to affect them this way. We learn about Preston and his motives but not the other two. Gradually Lydia finds a sort of peace but them a party is planned....

I didn't really gell with any of the characters, and I think that’s what's affected my enjoyment of this novel. The storyline seemed to have been created as a vehicle for sex scenes of submission, group sex, whippings, canings and spankings. To me this is the wrong way round and the story is the main focus. I'm not offended by graphic sex but to be erotic and sensual one needs to empathise with the characters and I felt disembodied from them.

If you just want to read about some BDSM sex and don't need the emotion that goes with eroticism then this book is fine – for me it didn't work. The story was promising but thin and the sex very unemotional. The characters had redeemed themselves a bit by the end but that was too late for me – I really didn't like any of them by then. I've never read any works by Nina – possibly this is just a one off and her other books are more erotic, I don't know but its gone from my kindle now as I'll not want to read it again. There's a warning about the sex on the description so please take note – though I don't agree that its hot, raunchy sex the rest is accurate.

At £1.95 for 197 pages its ok value wise but only if its the type of book you want. If you want a decent story this is not your book, if you want page after page of BDSM sex it is.

Stars: well, sorry but for me its just 2 stars, its well written technically but I simply didn't like the content.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Erotic Dark (A BDSM Erotica Novel) (Kindle Edition)
There's no doubt that Ms Lane has talent as this was a very well written book and well edited too. She executed her thoughts well and the story flowed at a nice pace.

However I felt no connection between the characters. I felt I didn't know anything about them but worse, I didn't want to know anything about them. I didn't care what made them the way they were. I didn't care that they offered no after care to Lydia. There were no feelings in this story. No one liked each other, no one cared about each other and therefore, neither did I. None of them had any redeemable characteristics at all.

Throughout the book Lydia was humiliated and shamed and ashamed of the things she was made to do until almost the end when all of a sudden she decided it was a great life! Unrealistic turnaround.

Considering the amount of sex in this book, this should have been a very sexy and erotic book but it didn't even provoke a twitch from me! The overly flowery, nonsensical description of body parts was over the top and quite ridiculous at times.

I'm not sure what sort of angle the author was going for. It wasn't a romance, it wasn't sexy, it wasn't even bdsm.

If you like stories about dubious consent and the humiliation and abuse of women, then this will be right up your street.

For me, I like to feel invested in the characters, I like to champion a character, I like to feel their angst, their pain, their heartbreak, their emotions but sadly it was all lacking from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well this was interesting....................!, 23 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Erotic Dark (A BDSM Erotica Novel) (Kindle Edition)

The three men are all varying degrees of dominant, sadistic and kinky and Lydia must learn to make the best of her lot (which her body dosen't seem to have a problem with - her mind though is reluctant).

This is a very, very erotic tale with all sorts of kink, dubious consent, m/f, m/m/f, restraint, multiple partners, anal.

I really enjoyed the premise of this tale, although the author dosen't go into great detail regarding the judicial element of the crimes and punishment the idea of the choice is thrilling. The characters are all likeable and you can understand the predicament Lydia is in, what would you do? How would you react? Could you do it?

Looking forward to the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars *****5- Dark, Depraved & Obsessed -Stars*****, 21 Aug. 2014
Jenn Green (Bath, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
*****5- Dark, Depraved & Obsessed -Stars*****
~this review may contain minor spoilers~

~Oh, he would help her. He would definitely help her. Her identity beyond the perimeters of La Nouvelle Vie no longer existed. Now she was nobody except Lydia. Now she was his.~

I have been known to lean more towards dark, dirty, and downright devious books-they are my GoTo books actually, the more angst, drama, tears, and nastiness the better....Well, that is exactly what this book delivered. It wasn't a romance, not really, it was more about a woman finding herself in an impossible situation, learning of her true inner-strength and inner-desires, and the long hard road of sexual discovery. It is not always pretty, there are some incredibly intense situations in here and some that will make you uncomfortable, so be prepared, but you will also be surprised a time or two by just how erotic things get.

~Why won't you just help me? Why does it have to be this?
It doesn't. I would never ask you to do anything you didn't want to do.
I don't want to do this!
Then don't.
You won't help me unless I do, will you?
This is utterly your choice. You contacted me, remember? And I give you an unequivocal guarantee that you will be safe. No one will ever find you. You will cease to exist.
Who will I become?
Preston had smiled then. Ours.~

Jane finds herself in a bit of a situation when her embezzlement scheme finally catches up to her after ten years. With no where to turn and desperate to keep out of jail, she turns to the one man she knows can help her disappear, long-lost childhood friend Preston Severine. Preston promises to help her and keep her safe, but it comes with a hefty price....she will be known only as Lydia from now on and she must move to his Louisiana plantation, La Nouvelle Vie, and submit herself fully to the three men who live there- Preston himself, along with Kruin & Gabriel. She has to hand herself over to the dark trio to do with what they will-their every wish, command, and desire, are hers to take on or risk punishment. Losing complete control over her everyday life is not an easy pill to swallow, obedience does not come naturally to the woman who used to hold a powerful job of her own, but the men are all to willing to dole out as many punishments as necessary to teach her how, in fact, they seem to thrive on punishing her. If Lydia has any chance of surviving this she will not only have to learn how to submit to their wills, but she must get a feel for each mans individual needs.
Preston is the cruel, sadistic one who thrives on her embarrassment and pain. He has been obsessed with her since they were teenagers and takes a great deal of joy from her discomfort as his own form of revenge for rejecting his advances all those years ago.
Kruin is the seemingly emotionless one, yet he is the one who strikes to most fear in her.
Gabriel is the one who shows the most kindness, is understanding of her situation and often tries to be gentle with her...that doesn't mean that he is not enjoying his time with her as much as the other two.

And just when Lydia feels as though she is finally starting to find her footing in her new situation, doing what it takes to survive while struggling to understand the strange desires these men stir in her, the outside world comes crashing back into her hiding place and threatens her strange new life.

“Don't worry about him. He'll never betray you. He's too obsessed with you.”
“Obsessed?”
“He has been for years, since you were children apparently. Didn't you know that?”

This book turned me into a hott-mess of mixed emotions. Preston's cruelty seemed to know no bounds and Lydia's struggle to turn herself over completely was tough. But what was harder for her was her confusion over the feelings and desires her dark trio seemed to pull unbidden from somewhere deeply hidden inside. There was a whole lotta sex taking place in this book, a lot, but it didn't bury the story-it was all part of Lydia's journey. Each man brought a uniqueness to her situation, but it wasn't always all bad -I know that seems strange, and I could be in the minority here, but there was some pretty hot scenes in this book-all things considered. And while the story didn't have an HEA exactly, it wasn't a cliffhanger and it did seem fitting to the overall story. This was the first book I have read from Ms. Nina Lane, but it will most definitely not be the last.

Lydia tried to imagine what it would be like to actually have contact with people beyond her dark triad. In such a short time, the sheer intensity of emotions that drenched the plantation had conspired to bind her irrevocably to this place and the men who inhabited it. She couldn't even conceive of interacting with anyone else.

Happy Reading xo Jenn @ Bookworm Betties

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Book, 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Erotic Dark (A BDSM Erotica Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Loved this a lot and I enjoyed the read very much! Better than some that I've read from here lately...

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Erotic Dark (A BDSM Erotica Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Wasn't sure whether to read or not but had picked it up from a list. Glad I read it!

The 3 guys are different the standoffish Kruin, the difficult Preston and the sweet Gabriel!

Throughout the book we only have brief glimpses of Kruin he's definitely the strong silent type. Lydia's heart is destined for Gabriel. Preston's been in lust with Lydia since he was a child, he knows her history and uses it against her.

The 3 dominant guys work well together throughout the story. I will probably look into reading the sequel because I'm sucker for a love story :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this book, 24 July 2013
This review is from: The Erotic Dark (A BDSM Erotica Novel) (Kindle Edition)
There were parts in the book that made me squirm but mainly enjoyed the story and the characters,read it in one sitting, will be reading the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Erotic Dark, 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Erotic Dark (A BDSM Erotica Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book from beginning to end! Well done Nina Lane. Can't wait for the next book.
I am sure it will be just as fantasic!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Erotic Dark (A BDSM Erotica Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Once I started to read this book, I could not put it down.

I've never read books by this author before, but I will defiantly look out for her other books.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

A great five star effort. I will defiantly recommend Nina Lane to all my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Erotic Dark (A BDSM Erotica Novel) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading this book. I gave it 5 stars as I not only enjoyed the detailed BDSM scenes but I actually liked the storyline. Each of the men were likeable in their own way & Lydia Isn't your usual sub. I really didn't want this book to end and I'm looking forward to Nina' s next book. This is a book which will have you hot under the covers!!