5.0 out of 5 stars I challenge you not to drool over this book....
Published on 22 Jan 2004 by Ms H. C. Cook

3.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning
Published on 25 Jan 2009 by Peter Gosling

5.0 out of 5 stars I challenge you not to drool over this book...., 22 Jan 2004
...I've always liked the way Nigella Lawson writes....her books make you want to read them, not just abandon to a dusty life on the kitchen shelf...She has a lovely way of making the recipes seem effortless, and most of them are as simple as they sound...I love the variety of recipes in this book, the little anecdotes that go with them, and the constant encouragement to experiment at home...the reader is made to feel that the recipes are not 'cast in iron', that it is possible to tweak and change them at our will...
The other thing I like about this book, is that Nigella is not selfish about her sources for recipes...if she finds a good recipe somewhere else, she gives the name of the book...like Nigella, I do a lot of 'middle of the night' browsing on the internet, especially in Amazon...and most of the books she mentions, or includes in the bibliography, I've been able to track down to purchase for myself...
The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and my teenage son is testimony to the success of the recipes that I've tried. My favourites? the Chocolate brownie recipe, the Christmas-Morning Muffins, which take 25 mins from start to finish, (I've even been known to make these on a school-day morning, and I'M a teacher!)The easy danish pastry recipes, the calvados syllabub....I'd list more, but I really think you need to get your own copy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recipes that will make your mouth water., 29 Dec 2001
By A Customer
Nigella Lawson makes cooking a pleasure. This book has a healthy balance between cooking for the family and cooking for guests that you want to impress. There was not a single recipe that I didn't want to try and by the time I had read the book I felt I knew Nigella and her family as old friends. Nigella encourages you to alter her recipes and feel confident doing so. I have never before bought a cookbook by a famous chef because I felt the recipes were too fancy or the ingredients were too difficult to buy, the majority of the ingredients in Nigella's recipe's can be found in most kitchen's or in the local shop. I cannot praise this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Time Favourite Baking Bible, 9 May 2007
I had heard of the chef Nigella Lawson, the domestic goddess, but I was yet to read one of her books or try her recipes. I bought this last year as a gift for myself, and I must admit that the first thing to attract me to the book was the cover! Very pretty and feminine. But once I got home and curled up with the book and a cup of tea, I realised just why Nigella is known as the domestic goddess; the recipes are out of this world! I looked through the entire book and found lots of recipes that I was itching to make, and the illustrations are gorgeous, a visually stunning baking guide. The book has something for everyone, even if you do not have a sweet tooth, it also contains savoury recipes. The cheese and onion pasties went down a treat, and the pizza rustica was just delicious and unusual too. My favourite recipe was the sour cream chocolate cake, it sounds strange adding soured cream to a cake, but the result was a moist cake, not temple achingly sweet yet still gooey and chocolatey. And the cheesecakes were perfect, much better than the shop bought artificial creations we are accustomed to. Overall I would say that this is the best baking book I have ever read, and I have read a lot of Delia and Mary Berry too. Nigella deserves her domestic goddess name tag and this book is not only a joy to look at but is packed full of some of the best recipes you would ever see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont know how i lived without it, 29 Oct 2001
By A Customer
I was undecided about wether to buy this book or not. I didnt see myself as a baker. I dont have another cookery book that i use as much as this. Her writing is comforting and amusing and often i read it in bed as a bit of escapism. I made the sponge drops just two nights ago for a dinner party and everyone was really impressed with them. I have to say her sponge recipies are quite heavenly and very straight forward. I have tried many of the recipies out of this one and not one has failed ! I make the banana muffins quite regulary for breakfast for the kids and they love em'. If there is one criticism i could make it would be that any of her chocolate recipies i have tried are extremely strong and rich, this of course could simply be down to taste.
The recipies range from cup cakes, to pies jams and pickles...mmmmm and lots more besides.
Couldnt recommend it more

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunner!, 24 Feb 2004
SecretSweets (Caxias, Portugal) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
No, I am not refering to Ms Lawson. I recently bought this book and have already tried over 10 recipes - each one a complete success and by that I mean absolutely no left-overs.
If you are looking for something to impress without having to spend many slavish hours in the kitchen, this book will give you enough ideas to keep you busy for many weeks to come.
The recipes are easy and I mean dead-simple! No fuss, no fiddling about with kitchen gadgets, no watching over the stove - nothing. Each recipe is stripped down to the basics and presented in a simple, idiot-friendly manner and yet the results are worthy of a nod from a gourmet chef!
I love the Sweet and Salty Peanut Biscuits, so different from the peanutbutter type biscuits we know. The Brownies are spectacular given that they are so easy to make, but wait...the Molten Chocolate Babycakes will leave you quite lost for words!
There is also a chapter on breads all all things yeasty. Here Ms Lawson pleads us to use old potato water as the liquid. Huh?! Well, yes, that's what she says! Who am I to dispute a guru. So, improbable as it sounds, I tried it. And .... well, frankly I don't quite see the big difference. I have turned to making my own bread for a few months now but it always finishes in two days. I have yet to test the theory that bread lasts longer with old potato water.
I also love the chapter on pies. Loads of easy stuff here to make and bake and I must confess that I am guilty of using family picnics as an excuse to make the Pizza Rustica and Cornish Pasties.
And finally, do not over look the chapter on puddings. For something unusual, try the Red Gooseberry Clafoutis and Om Ali. They are different and guaranteed to get you some 'ooohs' and 'aaahs'.
In general, I have enjoyed the reading the recipes in this book as much and making them - but not as much as eating them!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning, 25 Jan 2009
Peter Gosling (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Nigella Lawson's written style is colourful and ebullient and she coaxes you into trying these recipes like you're a close friend. But my word her oven is from a different planet to mine. I have tried her brownies, muffins, kuchen, various breads and biscuits from this book and ALL of them have needed dramatically longer cooking time (in some cases double). And this is in a variety of ovens, all with the same results. In fact, I have taken to annotating this book with my own temperatures and timings (as a general rule, notch the gas down slightly from her setting and add half as much cooking time again).

Newer editions may have amended this (they certainly fixed the error that had me making banana loaf in a 1lb tin rather than a 2lb), but judging from the scarily short cooking times Nigella gives for roast turkey in her new Christmas book, I doubt it.

That being said, the photography is a work of art on its own. Drool over this book, then go and make a Mary Berry instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a couple of quibbles - but highly recommended, 21 July 2005
I do love this book! It's the idea of it you see, the warm envelope of baking smells on a cheerless day can do wonders for your self esteem. There are some real jewels of recipes as well: I love the marzipan rum fruit cake and the Norwegian cinnamon buns.
One caveat though: often as I've been following a recipe I think "Surely too many eggs here...", or "A 20cm springform tin - too small surely?" but I've kept to what was written only to end up with an insistantly eggy tasting creme brulee or a cake spilling out batter over the tin sides to the oven floor. Some things are overly sweet to my taste as well. But once you've tried something out you can tweak the recipe to suit your usual taste or substitute a larger cake tin.
All in all, definitely recommended - a nice well rounded and sometimes unusual collection of pure good mood food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Simply Wonderful, 3 Aug 2007
I've had this book ever since it came out, but the only reason I'm writing this review now is because I feel the need to defend Nigella's recipes. Any person who says her recipes are 'guesstimates' either doesn't own this book or hasn't ever cooked from it.Of the 100+ cookbooks I own, this is the one I've used the most and have yet to come across a recipe that has failed. If you love to bake then you must have this book and if you love to cook, then it is imperative that you own all her books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baking to die for, 18 Feb 2004
By A Customer
If you have children or simply just love to bake then this is the book for you. My kids and I have tried numerous recipes from this book and all have been a great succees (with the possible exception of the courgette cake). The peanut butter and snickers muffins are such a family favourite that I have had to put an embargo on them or else we would have them every day. Living in Hungary means that all the necessary ingredients are not always available, but with a bit of experimenting it is still possible to make our favourites. Buy a copy yourself, give the recipes a go and then recommend the book to all your friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a domestic goddess, 1 April 2004
By A Customer
This book has to be my absolute favourite cookery book. Its the sort of book that, on a wet and miserable day inspires you to dash out into the kitchen whip up something delicious. The pictures are appealing and of the sort of real results that any of us can expect in our kitchens, not the airbrused perfect pictures that a lot of cookery books use. The recipes and methods are for real women - women with jobs and lives to juggle who want to cook for the sheer pleasure of it.
When I'm down in the dumps I have a flick through this book and it never fails to cheer me up. When I'm cooking from it I feel as though I should be wearing pink fluffy high-heeled mules!!

How To Be A Domestic Goddess