5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, functional and unobtrusive in use
Published 19 months ago by L. F. Stone

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 design defects, one minor, one major
Have used mine for about 6 months now (although never in the rain - more on that later) and would agree with all the favourable comments on the other reviews .
However I have recently noticed a couple of problems which have not been commented on before.
Published 8 months ago by rayaring

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, functional and unobtrusive in use, 5 Sep 2012
L. F. Stone (Grays, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf GPS - GolfBuddy Voice (Sports)
Having also owned a Caddy Lite (cheap to buy, but fiddly software and annoying yearly subscription) and a Garmin Approach G3 (lots of functions, great value, no subscription, but almost impossible to read), I was looking for something which just gives the distances to the green, was easy to use and which did not rip you off with expensive annual fees. For me, the GolfBuddy Voice ticks all the boxes.

The product is currently available more cheaply from a well-known American golf retailer, and it comes with the cap (which you must have or sew an appropriate holder on your own cap). All you have to do is to turn it on when you get to the golf course: then an American voice tells you that it is "locading sadellites", and then, within about a minute, it tells you where you are on the course. So if you decide to play the back nine, it knows that you are on hole number 10 and tells you. When you are sizing up your approach shot, press the button on your cap and it tells you the yardage to the centre (and back, or front with repeated presses). Only you will be able to hear it - no-one else is distracted by the voice - and you have the information you need without having to fiddle about with any buttons or moving a screen to be able to see the figures. Lots of golfers like the Garmin S1 and S3 series because all you need do is look down at your wrist and see the numbers there; the GolfBuddy Voice gives you the same information aurally, but without the encumbrance of a rather clunky looking "watch" on your wrist. The contraption weighs 28 grammes (about an ounce in old money) and you don't notice it all on your cap. You need to recharge it after every round, but it only takes an hour - all I do is take the cap indoors and recharge it in the cap itself.

There may be, I guess there must be, courses that it doesn't know about but I haven't found any so far. I've been running it with the Garmin G3 and as far as I can see it is using the same courses database as they do, because the yardages given have always been the same on both devices. You will find that unless you are the kind of golfer who keeps the ball tightly on fairways and always nails the green that when you stray offline and go to search for your ball on an adjacent fairway, the device will pipe up and tell you that "You are now on hole number --" (whatever fairway your ball is now on). It's a little disconcerting to have confirmation that you have hit a poor shot, but you'll get a reminder that you are on track when you get the ball back in play!

For me the simplicity is key. You have to recharge the device, turn it on, and then there is just one button to press. That's all there is to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Golf GPS - GolfBuddy Voice (Sports)
I sold my SGX as I was not happy paying the subscriptions every year. When using the SGX and having to stop to go to the loo or into the club house, I had to remember to take my caddie with me. The other bug with the SGX was rain. Whilst putting, having to run back to my SGX to quickly protect it from the rain. I have use the buddy voice in the rain and no problem.

All I need is back, middle, front pin positions. The SGX gave me information I did not use and if I did need them, by the time I found them, I was slowing pace of play.

I am happy with the buddy voice, it is easy to use. Just remember to update the firmware from the Golfbuddy web site.

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 design defects, one minor, one major, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Golf GPS - GolfBuddy Voice (Sports)
I wear mine on the silicone rubber strap like a watch and have not taken it off the strap or looked closely at the back of it until a few days ago. I was disappointed to see that the metal clip on the back of the golfbuddy which holds the strap in place has begun to rust badly as result of coming into contact with sweat from my wrist.
I am surprised that the manufacturers have made the metal clip out of corrodible metal instead of using stainless steel as this means that the device needs to be taken off the strap and washed each time it is used to stop rust developing.
Taking it off the strap and wiping it clean with a damp cloth revealed a more serious fault - it is not waterproof. After cleaning and drying it was put on the charger to recharge. Normally at the end of the charge the light on the screen stops flashing and the screen goes blank. This time the light remained on continually and when the charger was removed the unit appeared to die and nothing would function, the screen remaining blank.
Some 12 hours later the device came back to life and appears to be working normally again. I can only assume that some moisture had entered it and caused it to fail, but it received no more water than it would have in a round of golf in the rain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf Buddy GPS Review, 25 May 2012
Mitchell Graham (Armagh, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf GPS - GolfBuddy Voice (Sports)
This is an excellent piece of kit and has very good coverage of golf courses. It is small and easy to use although I have not yet had to use it in wet conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf buddy voice GPS, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: Golf GPS - GolfBuddy Voice (Sports)
Fantastic little gadget would be lost without it. Have bought one for my husband too and he is really pleased with it. Very easy to take abroad and you can use it on any golf course in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you need and no more, 26 Aug 2012
R. G. Mabbitt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf GPS - GolfBuddy Voice (Sports)
This is a brilliant bit of kit. No messing around looking at maps etc. Just press the button when you are weighing up your approach shot. It is unlikely that there are other players near you when playing your second or third shots so those people who suggest the voice will annoy fellow competitors are wrong. It is also great for those of us who need reading glasses as that is an added hassle with the map versions. I would recommend to any golfer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and easy to use, 30 April 2013
Clive Jones (Toulouse, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf GPS - GolfBuddy Voice (Sports)
I think this is a very nice GPS indeed. I have found it to be quite accurate on the golf courses I have used it on. Why not 5 stars? A couple of reasons, firstly, changing between front, back and green centre could have been better and quicker and the buttons on the side a little difficult to find when you have the GolfBuddy on your cap. Also, be careful when looking for a golf ball and wandering onto an adjoining fairway. The GolfBuddy may detect the new hole (if you are close to the teeing area)and change the hole it relates to. You will end up having distances to the new hole and NOT the hole you are playing! Other than that, I think this was a good choice for me.

Oh yes, discovered an error on some hole numbers on my home course so reported it to GolfBuddy Europe but no response from them!

5.0 out of 5 stars gpsgolfbuddy, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: Golf GPS - GolfBuddy Voice (Sports)
I have found the gpsgolfbuddy voice as good as it comes for the price and more than suitable for a club golfer and now there is a wrist band extra.Better than Garmin

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive gadget!, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Golf GPS - GolfBuddy Voice (Sports)
I love it. Tested it on my local course and found it to be extremely accurate. Can't wait to try it out on other courses, especially abroad later this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Golf GPS - GolfBuddy Voice (Sports)
this is great. in your pocket, on your bag, on your hat - it works.

happy to be an ambassador how much is the pay ?
dave