on 23 April 2012
Let me begin by saying that this is, if you like, a mini review concerning the Move controller - I have yet to begin a career but that will happen shortly.
Having come through early motion-based versions of this game on the WII (culminating in the excellent 'Motion Plus' versions of '11 and '12) I purchased the Move set up 3 years ago in the hope of moving up in terms of difficulty and graphics.
Average and sometimes disparaging remarks towards the '11 and '12 Move releases forced me to stick with the WII until I took the plunge and purchased this in the hope that the third incarnation would be playable.
After 3 weeks of hacking around hopelessly (scoring in the hundreds and the nineties) I have only just grasped what is required of me with the Move controller.

It is very, very good.

Whatever version of the game I've started I've always began on the hardest difficulty (Tournament) and use a Pro golfer (usually Donald).
This is because I want to see if I can develop a feel for the mechanics of the game and understand it before embarking on a career.I've found it pretty demoralising beginning a career in the past without doing this first.
And it was pretty grim to start with.Constant hooking of drives and pulling of putts led to some pretty strange contortions in an effort to try to hit straight.I was frustrated and pretty clueless to be honest.
I tried various things - changed grip,stance,moved the camera around, and partly solved the problem by standing at nearly 90 degrees to the tv but this did not feel natural (and seemed a bit daft).
There were times when I nearly gave up but I read some promising comments on some forums in the US preferring the Move to the hand held controller so I stuck with it and in the end the answer was simple - the swing I used for years with the WII was completely inadequate for this game (quite obvious really I suppose).Eventually I managed to find a solution that worked for me and it was rather simple- I'm right handed and I tucked my right elbow in slightly; by doing this I found the drives and putts straightened.When putting I position the ball on the carpet mid-stance and align the bulb on the Move directly above the ball prior to the backswing.My putting tempo was too slow so I speeded up the backswing and forward swing and this has improved my putting greatly.By the way,my camera is under the tv,central and approx 15 inches off the ground .I calibrate the controller by going into 'Accessory Settings' before each session.
The controller is incredibly sensitive on Tournament mode (don't worry there are easier settings) and assessing the strength of putts, chips,pitches and bunker shots is a stiff challenge, but now that I've developed a swing that works hopefully the finesse around and on the greens will come with practice.
At least I've come to accept that if I hit a duffer it is my fault (unlike the early days!).
I just wanted to say how good the Move is - after 3 weeks I've just shot my best score on the hardest level (73 at the PGA National- a wonderful course)) and I'm hooked.Every shot demands the utmost concentration and although I've read about other problems with this game (which don't affect me too much) the sheer realism of simulating golf in my living room will keep me busy for many hours.I think with this great implementation of the Move we really are entering the realms of a simulator rather than a game.
Now I'm not saying my method is Gospel - it just works for now.You may find a completely different one-that's the beauty of Golf.
The most important thing is that only now am I understanding what is required with the Move controller - when you 'get it'and hit a good shot it is extremely rewarding.
I'm afraid the WII that served it's time so well with regard to golf games will only now be used for nostalgic purposes.I waited 3 years for a good Move version of this game and I am extremely pleased with my purchase.
If you are a Move owner I hope this review helps.
Now, time to start a career............
on 10 April 2012
I have ordered this version at Amazon UK, as the Collectors Edition is not available/offered in germany.
Delivery was very fast and much quicker than expected.
Further more a code was provided from Amazon by mail for another course (Doral), which did not work in the beginning.
After consulting the Amazon customer service, who was also fast and engaging, i received a new and working one.
So - thank you very much for this positive and great customer experience, Amazon!

A short introduction (for a more accurate classification of my review):
I'm a computer golf gamer since the early beginnings (on the C64) and therefore i'm a fan of the TW series (on the PS3), too.
In last years TW12 i've played on Tour Pro, now on Tournament (without any aids, except the green grid).

Like:
- the new swing and putting system (i hate it at the beginning, but - after approx. 30 rounds - i really love and enjoy it now. Nevertheless some tweak tuning here and there is still necessary by EA, which could/would increase that feeling and the experience)
- good, but not amazing graphics IMHO (in terms of blurry effects, as i prefer crisp graphics)
- nice soundtrack (really like it in TW12, but this is another stepping up)
- (real and virtual) coin system with options for different investements (which is really a great motivation and fun factor)
- no freezes (on PS3 for me so far)

Dislike:
- still no sudden death for the 1st place (since more than 10 years now and which should be a basic requirement in any golf game)
- Harbour Town and Boston (which are my absolute favourites) are missing
- missising personal/individual statistics for each course (and depending on the choosen skill), even the scorecards are lacking on expected informations
- far to easy regarding fairway shots (even on Tournament skill - with a normal PS3 controller. Move is another story, i've not tested out so far), sometimes a bit to easy for approach shots and while putting (as there is nearly no difference concerning the conditions from wet to fast (bug?) and breaks/elevations are not impacting much)
- backswing window while putting is unnecessarily to small
- generating backspin on the ball isn't possible anymore, which causes less varity and exitement in the game
- Photo Face is not working (in terms of jiggered skin graphics) and without any similarity to reality
- lack of overall presentation/atmosphere (e.g. missing if you win a normal tournament. No other golfers/caddies are visible on the course. What about falling leaf, animals, planes and stuff like that? No screams from other fairways, if players are battling for the victory, which was already in the game in elder versions of TW. No more hole statistics at the start of a hole. No TV/broadcast overlays etc. It could be so easy to enhance the immersion...)
- fixed (follow) camera view within online tournaments
- no automatic flybys at the start of each hole (as an individual option in the settings)
- missing video tutorials (to explain the new mechanics in detail)
- shots on the practice facility (within the CE) without information how far you've hit the ball
- saving individual rounds or shots not possible anymore
- creating of custom courses not possible anymore
- course mastery was better in TW12

In a nutshell:
In the meantime i really like the new mechanics, as i do not need the swing meter anymore and it feels more like real golf (even with a standard controller).
IMHO it is another step forward and the best Tiger of the series so far. Thanks EA for this great game of golf!
Nevertheless there is room for improvement and - that's a pity - every new release makes also unnecessarily steps backwards in areas, where it already improved/glanced in the past.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Tiger Woods 13 PGA Tour 13 collectors edition is a much better game than recent installments. EA seem to have stripped back most of the game to leave all the parts of the game that made it most successful in the 00s. Gameplay is less complicated and less annoying, no need to build focus for example or the annoying caddie sticking his oar in every shot, for example. There is a good balance between challenge and achievability. Commentators are greatly minimised and this adds to the game for me. However the reason that I cannot give this 5 stars is the fact that even on this edition you need to buy extra products in order to play the more interesting courses in the genre. There are a good range of courses to start but asking us to pay for more, which if you went for every course could end up costing an extra 20 pounds, is a it much. Overall much improved and better than the last 2 releases in the genre but be aware of possible extra monies needed to extend course provision.
on 17 April 2012
I have bought the Tiger Woods game in 5 of the last 7 years now, although I didn't buy the 2012 edition. Comparing this to Tiger 11, there have been quite significant changes to the swing mechanic which really do give you a much greater degree of control over the shot you make. However, as an owner of a Move controller, I have to say that the Move implementation in this game is so good that I have hardly used the normal controller at all. It really is getting close to the real thing, you genuinely have to develop a real feel around the greens when chipping and putting. Meters etc are dispensed with around the greens and you actually have to use your experience and begin to understand how hard you need to swing the Move to hit the ball various distances. I think it might even have helped my real-life putting!

Apart from that, you get the usual shuffling round of various game modes, including the rather odd ability to play as 2-year-old Tiger Woods! The DLC is also a bit strangely implemented in that you can earn in-game currency ("coins") to buy various power-ups for your character or else to buy one or more rounds of DLC courses. By completing various challenges on those DLC courses you can then win unlimited rounds on that course. Alternatively, you can just buy a whole bunch of coins from the PS Store and use them to get unlimited rounds. There has been a bit of controversy over how this has been implemented but I actually like the way EA have done this. There are 20 courses included on the disc as it is, and the coins let me get the odd free round on DLC courses which I could never have done in previous versions.

One more thing: if you are playing as a pro rather than a created character, Tiger still has better stats than Rory McIlroy. Come on EA, who are you kidding?
on 10 May 2012
Haven't stopped playing this since I bought it and a highlight is the online Country Club which rewards every member depending on how much you play.

The new swing system is great and I also really enjoy the course mastery.

One thing that has stopped it becoming a 5 star game however is the same old EA problem of making as much much money from DLC as they can. Most of this should have already been included in the game especially as it's a collectors edition.

EA really needs to sort this out or lose customers.
on 12 August 2013
As a golf fanatic and regular golfer I own all the Tiger Woods games from early on the PlayStation 2 and each one for me gets better, the physics... Well, the game play as a whole is incredible! The difficulty levels are brilliant as well with the lowest allowing you to see the path of your put to putting spin on your ball and the hardest being my favourite because you really do feel the strength of the winds so you will have to change your swing completely and the 'Ask Your Caddy' option is always a great help!

Buy! Buy! Buy!
on 2 May 2012
I had high expectations for this latest update, given the last version i bought was TW08. However almost every attribute of this game is a let down.
The new swing system, although i've no doubt its incredible accurate, for me veers too much to the simulation side of gameplay. I have no interest in how i position the golfers feet, yet the caddy tips always suggest to change every aspect of your positioning. For me this is time consuming and boring. If you like all that then happy days.
Load times are incredibly long now (comparing to TW08) and just helps to suck more fun out of a game that already takes itself very seriously. Even the Tiger Legacy mode, an idea that had so much potential, i devoid of any fun or imagination.
There is potential in the online clubhouse mode, but by then i had lost all interest in exploring further.
On a positive note, the Augusta National course looks fantastic and was a joy to finally play a virtual round on it.
Finally i am firmly against having to pay any more for a game than my initial outlay. In that respect i feel let down by EA, who have structured the game in such a way, so that its virtually impossible to 'complete' the game without buying additional content - courses etc.
on 2 April 2012
EA have made quite a few changes to this years installment of Tiger Woods PGA Tour.

Firstly they have removed the option to use the 3-click swing while making it possible to fully adjust your swing to create the type of shot you want (something which was removed from the game a few years ago). They have also made changes to the caddie option giving different options.

The presentation of the courses remains as good as last year and the new courses are a welcome addition. Commentary has been stripped back a little compared to recent years but this does not detract from the enjoyment of the game.

This year in addition to earning XP as you play to increase your golfers abilities you can also earn coins. This welcome change allows you to buy rounds to play on the additional course available to download giving while these can still by brought from PSN, being able to access them as a reward during the game not only saves you money but adds a new challenge.

The new country club feature is another route to earn coins and a new and welcome way to challenge friends on-line.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've started playing last week but I don't find any signifficant difference with the 2008. The graphics are ok, but I expected more.
I received it within the expected time.
No written instructions inside, you have to check them on the tv
on 18 August 2012
Great fun. Realistic Graphics and control system is easy to learn and great to use. Features such as Career Mode an Tiger Legacy give out great entertaiment as does the Online features.