5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album of 2012 so far
I read previous reviews before buying, but although many suggest this is too refined compared to their live performances, I thought it was worth a try.
Brilliant album - really gets in the groove - different to live performances of course, but it still has a lot of power and great great soul. Buy it!
Published on 30 May 2012 by LateLifeCrisis

3.0 out of 5 stars Shaken Not Stirred
Published on 18 April 2012 by 346GNU

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album of 2012 so far, 30 May 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Shaken Not Stirred, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Boys & Girls (MP3 Download)
The hype is enormous and, from their live performances, they are a shot in the arm - a raucous wail and driving rhythms. The problem is, someone in the control room of the recording studios decided they needed to smooth some of the hard edges and, as a result, the urgency, power and soul have been diluted. Such a shame as these kids are gonna go far! Maybe someone will have the bright idea of releasing a 'deluxe' version double CD which includes a live recording of the album. Hmmm!

4.0 out of 5 stars The "shakin" shakes, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Boys & Girls (Audio CD)
I discovered this band by accident,rummaging around the internet. Had the CD ordered five minutes later. My taste in music is varied and I would describe myself as a sixty year old music fan who has never lost the love of good music, from any genre. To me the obvious attraction was Brittany Howards voice but that would sell the rest of the band short. They play their part fully in this and cook away with the best of them. "Hold on" "I found you" "You ain't alone" "Boys and girls" "Be mine" stand out. I don't know if this is their first album but it is a good start and I will be keeping an eye open for the next one. One thing I have noticed is that they appear to be a very "Live" band. A quick tune into you tube should prove me right. That "Live" sound is not captured so well on the CD. However I have enjoyed listening to it and am now converting my kids. Give the "Shakes" a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 28 Sep 2012
Mr. P. Handley (Southsea, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boys & Girls (MP3 Download)
I've rarely felt compelled to write reviews about albums, but found the Alabama Shakes, Girls & Boys album absolutely stunning.

The howling vocals on the more up-tempo tracks like I Found You really get my head nodding, but my absolute stand out track is Hang Loose.

I'd been listening to this for several months on Spotify before deciding I wanted to buy it for ease of switching between devices, but it was only when I purchased it that I did more research into the band, started watching videos etc. I was quite surprised that the vocalist turned out to be female, I was convinced it was a bloke singing for several months, but wow - what a voice she has.

If only the gig tickets hadn't all gone so quickly

5.0 out of 5 stars five star must own, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Boys & Girls (MP3 Download)
Brittany Howard's voice somehow reaches to the darkest part of your soul and pulls out something you never knew was there, this is an album to devote some time to, it's impossible to listen to this breath taking smash debut album without feeling it's roots, soulful and reticent and simultaneously provocative and honest this complex album has so much of what we like here. It's all about a connection somewhere, and this bluesy, soulful gem is impossible to ignore.

These songs are better live and some of the magic is lost in the record, but it's still great.

True southern soul, this album has so many clear influences that if you drew a line through soul, funk and blues they would cross at this album, which means it should be in your collection. Recorded in Nashville and rooted in their homelands of Alabama, this is familiar and original at the same time, every track is not just hooked, but barbed, I couln't make it though in a single play, i listened to most track twice over on the way through.

If your looking for hope, uplifting funk inspired tunes check out "I ain't the same" or the opener track "Hold On" which just fire along in the most satisfying way, I challenge you to listen to these to and not want to tap something in time.... If you want gut wrenching tear pullers that throttle the throat and claw at your heart, light candles sit back with headphones on and be carried somewhere blue by "you ain't alone" or "heart-breaker".... Do not miss playing this end to end and enjoy the ride.

This is a five star must own, and do yourself a favour, don't download this, go out and buy it in a box, and play it over and over, this will be hard to take out of my daily play....

4.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl hifi delity, 2 May 2012
L. Hjorth (Denmark) - See all my reviews
Since I'm a grown man (not young), I haven't heard about all the hype around this new band. I just heard a song on my car radio, liked it and went on the web to listen to more. Liked that too and bought the LP. The music style is not new too me. This is good old rock like you would find in the '70's. The really good thing about it is the sound production. This is really good hi-fi sound: Good headroom, powerfull dynamics and no sibilance on the singers voice. Given this is music mainly aimed for a younger audience than me, it is great too hear that they had not surrendered to the Loudness War.

5.0 out of 5 stars Southern Soul, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Boys & Girls (MP3 Download)
A real gem of an album, lead singer has an amazingly bluesy, soulful voice. Best download for a while! Buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Original, 11 Aug 2013
R. Baker "Northern Spur" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boys & Girls (MP3 Download)
I bought this on the recommendation of an old rocker. It takes a bit of getting used to and at first hearing I thought I had been wrong to buy.

If you stick with it you will get to appreciate the style of the group which to me is their own sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alabama Shkes, 30 July 2013
A. Packham (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boys & Girls (Audio CD)
Saw them at Festival (glastonbury). Love the band the singer is great a black Janis Joplin every song on this cd is top notck. Also like the cd cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing voice and perfect for cheering you up, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Boys & Girls (MP3 Download)
I love listening to this band when I'm studying or if I need cheering up. The singer's voice is amazing as are the guitar riffs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›