5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining all around!
This is the first Richard Hale novel I've read, and I've found a new author. Along with my favorite NY Times Best-Selling authors, I will check out Hale's other novels and look forward to future releases.

Published on 27 Mar. 2012 by Carolyn A. Arnold

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but needs more depth to main characters
This was a free download and I wasn't expecting much, however there was a lot of suspense and drama in this book which could easily have been extended to make more of a lot of the characters background. As lot of the information and characterisation was too superficial for my liking - for instance the reader was left to make the leap of "why" the killer did what...
Published 4 months ago by Lletyderw

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining all around!, 27 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Frozen Past (A Jaxon Jennings' Detective Mystery Thriller Series, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Not normally a person drawn to the young adult genre, I wasn't sure what I would think of this book. But don't let the book blurb fool you. This is a thriller, through and through.

The story is told through multiple viewpoints - the teenagers Luke and Ellie, the killer and the police detective Jaxon Jennings.

When it comes to the teenagers, and their group of friends, Hale did an excellent job in capturing the essence of being that age. It's as if he were that age just yesterday the way he has them interact and think.

The book starts out with an arranged meeting for a snowball fight between neighborhood teen boys, but Hale's writing voice pulled me through. It didn't take long for a gruesome discovery, which cut the game short. From this point, he really had me.

The killer is one twisted, and sick man with his affection set on young kids. He lures them by whispering out from bushes, also covered from the darkness of night "help me" - creepy. With more deaths, and more gruesome findings, the kids still think they can handle things on their own. Even, when Luke and Ellie are befriended by a strange man on Facebook, who is obviously the killer, they believe they can handle the situation.

In the meantime, with the bodies of young boys being discovered, Detective Jaxon Jennings and his partner Sally are assigned the case. It seems whenever they turn around Luke and his friends are somehow connected with the findings, but with nothing concrete tying them to the crimes. This leads the detectives, eventually, to seek help from the FBI, which results in the involvement of Jennings' ex-wife.

Hale created a believable and unique character in Detective Jaxon Jennings. He's not the cookie-cutter, cardboard model - obsessed with his career, single or going through a rough divorce, or divorced because of the job. Jennings, although, a good cop at heart, is broken. His past pushes him to the bottle to numb any feelings he has, and proves to be something he needs to work on if he's going to solve the case. I loved how Hale weaved Jennings' past into the plot of this book. (You'll have to read the book to find out what this is.)

Hale captures emotion, seemingly effortlessly, and in turn this created reactions from me. During this read, I experienced a spectrum of emotion - anger, fear, and heartbreak to name a few. I even found myself "talking" to the characters more than once. When an author can elicit these reactions, I consider this a true talent.

With unexpected turns at every corner, and an extra twist at the end, I will definitely revisit another Hale novel. Although, I had a hard time deciding who my favorite character was, I would like to see more of Jennings and his partner moving forward.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 13 Mar. 2013
I wasn't expecting much from this book but was pleasantly surprised. It was a good little thriller. At first I thought it was going to be aimed at a younger audience because of the age of the kids but no,it turned out completely different. Well done

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 17 April 2013
This book had me hooked within minutes and the suspense was maintained throughout the story until the very end.
I thought the writing style was very good and that including the well written and interesting characters.
One of the very few books that I did not want to put down - I look forward to reading more from Richard C Hale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspense so taut, you can hear it twang, 14 Dec. 2012
Sarah Hague (Montpellier, France) - See all my reviews
I thought this might be more of a young adult book than a fully -fledged adult thriller. The story starts by introducing us to a young boy from the past, and continues in the present with more adolescents. Ellie and Luke are the main teenage characters, but they are joined by their mates on various escapades and get into varying degrees of trouble.

Just when you thought it would be a schoolboy murder mystery with boy wonder beating the cops at their own game, we meet the police team Jaxon and Sally. They have to start trying to solve the crimes committed by the serial killer who attacks both dogs and kids and does unspeakable things to both.

It becomes evident as time goes on, that the serial killer is pursuing a particular type of revenge, is stalking Ellie, and is targeting Jaxon. The tension builds as both Luke and the police try to track and bring down the man behind the killings, but always seem to be one step behind.

It's a really great story, a page-turner and there's enough to keep you on the edge of your seat. The teenage romance is a wee bit over the top as they are only 14 yet you'd think they were nearer 16 or 17. Jaxon is a rounded character and I like the way things don't just fall into place, he's a clueless as anyone would be when faced with the lack of evidence.

There's a nice touch of technological wizardry too, and a really unexpected ending. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not a Young Adult genre, 14 Feb. 2015
I had reservations about reading this mainly because the description made it sound a bit like young adult genre but it was free and had good reviews so I had nothing to lose.

I was gripped from the start. The initial characters are teenagers (definitely not of the famous five variety) with Jaxon being introduced later. The story works very well the teenagers are an important component of the book they bring so much to the story, young love and the IT guru aspect that could only work with young adults who were brought up with technology.

It is definitely an adult thriller the killer being a very believable, definitely evil person. The book as a whole is so believable it is something you would easily find on the news very realistic characters and not all surviving the ordeal.

This is a must read for anyone who likes thrillers I found it very difficult to put down. It is also very well written I didn't find any typos or bad grammer that is usually evident in free kindle books.

Richard is now among my favourite authors I will definitely be downloading the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary and addictive, 27 Jan. 2013
This book is fantastic.It's scary and contains a good twist.I loved it.Some of the scenes are a bit graphic but it all adds to the tension,death,young love and a couple reunited- What more could you ask for?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 3 Feb. 2013
This book is great to read and you get gripped into the storyline and try and figure out the plot

4.0 out of 5 stars Well done RC, 2 Sept. 2014
Really enjoyed this mystery , the writer is really rather good , great who done it with strong characters , great fast paced story line , never a dull moment and the author was pretty great at the mushy bits , he would make a wonderful , naughty / romance writer . I liked Jaxon , I warmed to him straight away , the dog bits were sad seeing as I like dogs more than humans but hey you can't have everything . 4 stars , highly recommended , well done Mr RC Hale I'll be buying more Jaxon novels .

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 8 Sept. 2014
Genuinely shocked by this title. Amazing little find, grabs you from the get go and doesn't ruin itself with a rubbish ending. The twists and turns keep coming all the way through and I will most definitely be reading more of Richard's work. Some of the dialogue bothered me, like seriously, I challenge anyone to find me a 14 year old who uses the word "dilapidated" but you can forgive it when the narrative is as strong as it is here. Definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read., 17 May 2012
Although the novel does seem to start off as something more suitable for young adults, read on, after a couple of chapters or so, it materialises into something entirely different. It was an enjoyable read and had a good basic plot. My only concern was what seemed to be an easy availibility for youngsters to have access to loaded guns, rifles, etc. Worth reading.......