on 13 March 2012
When I found out Google was developing it's own take on a social network platform I couldn't wait to see what they came up with! It was looking promising - I have always liked Google's understated style and was impressed with the reworking of the common social network feature list into something a bit cooler. It also didn't have the Facebook bloat and seemed leaner, meaner and cleaner... Problem was most people just didn't get it and to be honest still don't.

Guy shows a very interesting angle and explains why it hasn't quite reached critical mass, why he thinks (and I agree) it will and how the intelligent individual should get involved at this stage. I can't emphasise enough how well he has expressed it.

So why only 4 stars? I am a long time follower of Guy's work, have read a lot of his books and watched his presentations. I felt in this book he spent a bit too much time handholding the reader through the technical basics of using G+ - although there are some nuggets of wisdom he has found and shared. I'm sure this approach was purposeful to get everyone interested but for me it felt a bit like fluff.

Overall a very interesting, thought provoking and inspirational way to spend two hours and two pounds.
on 8 October 2012
Guy Kawasaki borrows Steve Jobs' famous phrase, "There must be a better way" to explain the potential for Google's social network. Google+ is to Facebook and Twitter what Macintosh is to Windows, he says.

The book consists of 15 chapters that together form a user guide to Google+ covering topics from circles to comment, and from photos to followers.

There are couple of chapters that apply equally to any form of social media on topics such as sharing content, engagement and etiquette that experienced users of Facebook and Twitter might want to skip.

Kawasaki writes in plain English and has an encouraging and engaging style. He is candid about his own use of social media and passes on information that any individual or organisation, whether starting out or experienced in social media, will find helpful.

It's the sort of book that you could read from start to finish in a single sitting, or more likely dip in and out of trying stuff as you go.

The second edition of What the Plus! Google+ for the rest of us is published tomorrow by McGraw-Hill at £6.99. Alternatively there is a Kindle edition priced at a bargain £0.49.

It's the first time I have come across an e-book that has been priced to accurately reflect the cost of a digital format. Could this be one of the first examples of the future of book publishing?

What the Plus! Google+ for the rest of us is a good basic guide to social networking and Google+.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 September 2013
Guy Kawasaki helps his reader to answer two separate but related questions:

"Is Google+ right for me?"

If so,

"How can I take full advantage of what it offers?"

The abundance of information, insights, and counsel that he provides is well-worth knowing even if you decide not to become involved now, unless (of course) you have no interest in either the Internet or the Web. (Not everyone does.) I have read and reviewed all of his previous books and realize that, since childhood, he has an almost insatiable curiosity about what works, what doesn't, and (especially) why. Moreover, At least since joining Apple in 1983, he has been determined to share whatever he has learned with as many people as possible. He moved on four years later, seeking new adventures in the vineyards of free enterprise and continues to be an evangelist for helping people to achieve personal growth and professional development.

Plus+ offers an excellent case in point. As is his style, he immediately establishes and then sustains a direct, personal rapport with his reader. It is especially revealing that all but one of the book's 15 chapter (Chapter 1, "Why I Love Google+") titles begins with "How to," with an implicit "How Not to":

o Get Started
o Master Circles and Streams
o Make an Enchanting Profile
Comment: ESPECIALLY important, including photo
o How to Achieve Trustworthiness
o Avoid Cluelessness
o Get Google+ to Help
o Master Google+
o Evangelize Google+

Kawasaki makes skillful use of the sequence (step-by-step) format. He also includes hundreds of Google+ page exempla to illustrate as well as explain various options to consider when creating and presenting content, correlating it, and promoting it...and yourself. Many readers will take full advantage of dozens of Quick Response Code (QRC) links to additional resources on Google's website.

Before concluding his book, Kawasaki observes, "The word `evangelism' comes from the Greek word that means `good news.' With this list of tips and ones that you perfect on your own, I hope that you'll go forth and spread the good news about Google+."

I am now hard at work on preparations to become actively and productively involved with Google+ and take this opportunity to thank Guy Kawasaki for all that I have learned from him about what to do - and what NOT to do - as well as how to do it well. Among his other books, Reality Check remains my personal favorite and I strongly recommend that portions of that book be consulted in combination with what then becomes Google+++.
VINE VOICEon 28 July 2012
If you're interested in understanding what Google+ is and what you can do on the platform as well as *why* you should use it, then you should give this brief e-book a read. It's full of useful information as well as important indicators as to how you should talk and why it's something you can use alongside Facebook and Twitter.

While I disagree with Kawasaki on the role of Google+ - I do not see it as a social network rivalling Facebook, for example - Kawasaki argues powerfully for why it should be used. The hints on how to get the most out of it are useful but because Google+ is a nascent platform and is ever-changing, some of the information I read was already out-of-date. This does not detract, however, from the utility of the book.

It's worth a read if you're interested at all in social media or Google products.
on 16 June 2013
The book entirely focuses on Google+ for individual users, going from the most basic functions that are available. Now, it will be an incredibly useful guide for people who have heard about Google+ but never checked it out, but it might provide less value for the others. From a business perspective, I wish there was more details on how Google+ impacts today's businesses, especially from the SEO perspective: adding a chapter or two about Publisher/Author tags, the idea of Page Rank for G+ profiles and how that affects affects search results, and, ultimately, how Google+ can help businesses get more discovered (and profitable).
on 10 May 2014
Guy Kawasaki clearly explains what Google+ is and how to make the most of it. He describes it in such a way that you want to get involved with Google+ straight away because you know exactly what to do. I give this book a score of 80% because Guy uses terms familiar to American readers, which aren't global. However, if you want to know about this social media platform then I recommend this book. It makes you realize the shortcomings of Facebook and why Google+ is the way to go. I particularly like the way you can handle spammers and undesirable commenters on your Google+ stream.
on 26 May 2012
My initial mistake was to think of Google+ in the same context as Facebook (for which I have been an occasional user) and Twitter (that I've used more often). If nothing else, this book helped me to understand they all have a role, and what that role is.

I've already started to see the benefit of Google+ finding my way around the additional functions and capabilities it offers - it really is a powerful resource.

Thanks to Guy's writing style this book has proven invaluable in my appreciation of what it does and how to use it. Thanks Guy.
on 27 August 2012
Not often I buy a book to learn about anything on the internet, I just normally Google it. However, the author's reputation and a need to get up to speed quickly were the reasons for this purchase.

The book is well laid out, easy to navigate and easy to understand. It explains everything I wanted to know and helped me get my own Google+ presence up and running.

If you want/need to know how to get Google+ working for you then this is the book you need to read.
on 30 December 2012
Useful if you know nothing about google+ (as I didn't) and want to learn from the ground up. Kawasaki writes with an easy style and there a plenty of illustrative screen shots to support the text, however I struggled to see these properly on my kindle. Kawasaki is an a self confessed evangelist for google+ and this is evident throughout. A good guide and at 69p worth purchasing if this is a social media route you're considering.
on 3 January 2013
Quite enjoyed reading this book. A lot of it was common sense in regards of how to behave on the service but there's quite a lit of tips in there to bolster and improve your experience. I would say a total newbie would probably learn more but, worth reading and at the price (free on google+ via Guys profile page or in my case via amazon for 50p. It's a steal!