Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 22 November 2012
This was a satisfying finale to the Crittenden County trilogy, however there were just a few threads that felt like they were shortchanged and a couple of wince-worthy proofreading errors. I did truly enjoy it, but I also wondered if it had been finished/typeset in a rush.

It's hard to talk about specifics without potentially ruining the story, so I will keep this general. The reveal of the perpetrator made me sad, but I think that is a compliment - I cared enough about these characters that I didn't relish the idea of any of them being revealed as a villain.

There were a couple of storylines that seemed to rather peter out. There's something nice about not having every single loose end tied up, but, for example, there was a character who began to seem quite sinister in "The Search" whose story wasn't really continued and who just appeared at the end of the novel as part of a group. I felt like there was potential there that was squandered, if nothing else to further complicate the "whodunit" aspect and fool the reader a little longer.

Alongside a few disappointments storywise, there were several typos and continuity gaffes. The most glaring one was a character repeating a thought she'd already expressed several chapters beforehand, but there were also a few cringe moments that should have been caught in proofreading. That feels like an author being let down by the publishing house, and is a shame. The continuity gaffe I mentioned was probably the worst in terms of jarring me out of the story.

Overall, I really enjoyed this, I'm glad I bought it, and I will most certainly read the trilogy again at some point, but it did read as if it had been slightly rushed to be finished and into print, which I felt was rather a shame.