on 17 April 2012
I have had this phone a few days now and am loving it. I've upgraded from a HTC Desire, and the larger screen and faster response is certainly much better.

The new version of HTC Sense is an improvement over the old one, although still only has 7 screens and despite the larger screen, it is still limited to the same number of icons/widgets as before. However being able to create folders now should help this limitation. The Apps folder however now has filters so you can show for example only apps you've downloaded.

Battery life seems to be pretty standard for HTC. It'll last me a day, or less if I use it for a lot of web browsing. However as I'm often close to a charger it's not a problem. Certainly better than the old Desire with its two year old battery.

I've got the black version and am suffering from the very tiny chips along the top/usb port that have been reported in the media. However they are only noticeable if I look for them. I plan to get a case so I'm not too bothered, considering how scratched my old phone is! The phone does feel a bit slippery, so hopefully the case will help it feel more secure when I'm holding it. Another thing about the phone is it is cold to the touch, which is unusual. The phone itself feels so light and the thinness more than makes up for the extra length in my opinion.

I've not yet fully adapted to the keyboard. It does have the swype like feature built in which is good. However for some reason it seems harder to type on than the Desire. The lack of optical trackpad has also caught me off guard, we now have little arrows under the keyboard. I keep instinctively going to where it was and hitting the home button instead. Annoying, as is the task-switcher button which I keep brushing accidentally. I miss the search button too! However I'm sure familiarity with the phone will solve these over time though.

The camera is great. I especially like the one touch video function now, as on my old phone switching between photos and videos was a painful process. It also has a few filters, although I don't think they are as good as the Instagram/Streamzoo ones.

One thing I have missed is that Sense no longer has a Desk Clock. I used to use this in night mode on my old phone as an alarm clock, but I couldn't find a similar feature. Plenty of other options in the market though.

The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is due to the storage. I knew it didn't have an SD card slot, but I decided 16GB was enough since I currently had an 8GB card... i.e. double. I hoped I could get several more albums on it. What I didn't expect was that the space available was only 10GB. 2GB is reserved for apps, and 4GB for system. OK we get dropbox space, but this only lasts 2 years (I hope to keep the phone longer and my MP3 collection will be even larger then) and downloading 24GB when you only have between 0.5GB -> 1.5GB data allowance doesn't add up really!

But overall I'm happy with my purchase and look forward to many years of happy use :)
66 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2012
Recently upgraded to the HTC One S from an HTC Desire. It was very much a toss up between the HTC One S and the HTC One X but I didn't feel that the One X had enough extra benefits to justify the extra cost. Plus I don't really need quad-core processors as I don't do much gaming on the phone. I also felt that the One X was a bit too large for comfort whereas the One S is sized just about right.

After eight days my conclusions are thus far:-

The screen is vividly bright and the super AMOLED display is perfectly visible when outdoors (as opposed to the HTC Desire). The resolution is great and text, images and video are crystal clear - beautiful screen.
Sense 4.0 and Android 4 work together really well. HTC have toned down Sense where needed and streamlined things to make it more intuitive. If you are already familiar with Android you won't be scratching your head trying to figure things out. Although you will get the perk of finding little useful nuggets along the way too.
Face unlock is a bit gimmicky but does work and work well. Another improvement is the Swype option for the keyboard. Other people have commented that it is harder to type accurately (and quickly) on this phone and I agree. The layout is slightly different to before and the keys are certainly closer together in normal 'portrait' mode, so mis-typing is common. But trust me, select the Swype option and be amazed. You don't have to be that accurate and 49 times out of 50 you will get the word you wanted. Typing speed therefore increases ten-fold. Brilliant!
The camera is just awesome. You have a range of options - low light, HDR, panorama, portrait etc. And the image quality really does rival most compact digicams. You even have inbuilt editing to tinker with the photo's which is a godsend. Fantastic work on the camera side HTC.
Beats Audio gives all the music/audio some nice bass and a much fuller sound to the music. Listening on headphones you have quality that in my opinion is better than my ipod. The stock music player is okay allowing multiple playlists and various options and even lets you download the album art if you require.
The oleophobic coating on the screen is a big bonus. My previous HTC Desire used to drive me to distraction with fingerprints and smudges and I was forever buffing the screen each time I touched it. The One S doesn't have that problem, sure you still do get marks and smudges but they are less apparent, easier to wipe away and don't affect viewing of the screen to any degree.

I feel that the phone pretty much has addressed many of the things I would have wanted to be included on a new phone. The old favourites have remained like the animated weather. I would have perhaps liked to see a micro-SD card slot. Yes you do get 25GB of dropbox storage (after you jump through a few hoops) which is good but 16GB onboard (9.5GB actually free) is a little measly. Even having another 32GB model on sale would have been something?
A few people have complained about chipping. I do have the black MAO (micro-arc oxidation) model and thankfully have not noticed any chipping yet although I have been handling it like a newborn baby! There are tiny scuffs appearing around the usb charging slot though as it's a tight fit to get in and out so these might worsen over time. I do like the premium feel of the phone though, it feels solid and well-built in the hand and you can see the thought that has gone into the design. There are beautiful curves and chamfers making this a very attractive piece of kit. Wonderfully thin too - just think of practically any other smartphone on a strict diet!
All in all an excellent phone and highly recommended. Well done HTC.
on 23 April 2012
This is a great phone. Upgraded it from the HTC Desire. I'll agree with comments made above. Was inclined to wait for Sammy to see what the s3 was like but lost patience and I don't think I'll be disappointed

Great thing about android is you sign into the phone with your Google details and hey presto all your contacts are there. If you have auto update on Play store your apps start installing for you too. Great seamless way to set up. Long gone are the input one by one of new contacts that we all had to SUFFER in days gone by.

It's got a great screen, may not be HD but at 4.3inch or whatever it is are you going to notice the extra pixels? It's large without being massive.

ICS & the new Sense is slick. There's enough difference to make you feel like you've got a new phone (compared to 2.2 of Desire). HTC & Android have done well with social integration. Even two weeks in I'm still finding something new that makes me think "ah that's cool" which is always nice.

Camera is great. Although never replace my Nikon Dslr. Lots of features for editing and getting that instagram look for uploading to Facebook.

Downside to the phone are No SD card slot (but can i really grumble when my desire had 500mb onboard and a 4gb card?). If it did have one I was going to put a 32gb card in and put all my music on it. But that just aint going to happen.

Battery is never going to be great if you use the phone often. Need new battery tech for that to work. However im typically getting 14-22hours out of it. Thats is good especially compare to the 4-8 hours on my 2year old Desire.

And the worst one. SWYPE currently is NOT SUPPORTED which is gutting. Because if you start with swype and get in with it, it's so hard to use anything else. HTC have their own version found in keyboard settings but it isn't as slick as swype.

As a whole it's great. I chose it over the X because that phone is just too ridiculously big. Remember you've got to put this thing in your pocket even if you don't mind using two hands to hold it.
on 9 January 2013
I am absolutely fuming, I received my phone today only to find out they have sent me the wrong handset.

The one advertised, the One S features the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro Krait dual core processor clocked at 1.5 GHz, coupled with the Adreno 225 GPU. On the back of the box of this model it says Model: z520e

However Qualcomm have had a high demand for this powerful processor and hence a shortage in chipsets resulting in HTC downgrading to last years Snapdragon S3 Scorpion dual core processor clocked at 1.7 GHz coupled with the Adreno 220 GPU. This is Model: z560e on the back of the box. Despite it having a faster clock speed on the processor it vastly inferior in performance, and the graphics power of the Adreno 220 is almost half that of the newer Adreno 225 it should have had.

For those unsure about this do a bit of a google.

Amazon are advertising the HTC One S with the 1.5GHz dual core, search "GSMarena" for this.

However the one I received was the HTC One S C2 with the inferior hardware, search "GSMarena" for this.

HTC told all the stores who sell their devices that they were different so they could make the purchaser aware of the change in hardware, however Amazon have clearly not felt the need to tell me. I wondered why the price suddenly dropped down to £250 for a brand new handset!

I am absolutely furious at Amazon for wasting my time, this phone will be going straight back for a full refund. I highly advise people not to buy from them as they will no doubt receive the inferior hardware version as well. They better send me the correct replacement, or if not shortly update their advert on this page.

This is illegal, false advertising that breaks trading standard laws.
1313 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2012
Its hard to start this review without talking about the complaints, the storage of 16GB. Now i know you cannot expand but realy do you need to fill it up? most of us take photos, download apps, record video listen to a bit of music on it, nothing realy else, i dont hear many people whine about the 8gb iphone, or the 16gb iphone, in fact i saw one reviewer praise the storage on the iphone 16gb and then go on to complain about this one. Silly realy, if you want to fill it with music, buy an ipod, if you want to fill it full of movies all HD, buy an ipad or another tablet.

Right then, first off im not biased like some reviewers are, in fact i love all tech, i own a Mac and a PC, i own this phone and an iphone 4, i own an ipad but still use my alienware, so i wont give an android lovers opinion or an apple lovers opinion.

HTC have gone forward in the last few years, vastly improving the design of their phones, from the good entry of the HTC Hero and Legend a few years back, they have leaped forward to offer a phone like the HTC One S, which sports a fantastic camera, great multimedia functions and a top end on board cpu. HTC now have to be taken as one of the big boys in the smart phone market.

The HTC One S packs Android Ice Cream Sandwich which shines on this device. Fully using the 1.5Ghz Snapdragon Dual core CPU, its slick, fast and doesnt lag. Its beautiful to look at and has all the customise options you could ask for. Android has evolved into a great OS, outshining Apples IOS in terms of layout and speed.
Android users wont been unfamiliar, its not a world away from the older Android OS systems but has enough new features and layouts to make it worth the while using.

The phones design itself is fantastic. Its slim and feels amazing, although it is on the large side. Companies have gone from making phones as small as possible to now pushing them to the limit size wise, almost as if they want to bridge the Tablet pcs and the mobile phones in your pocket. The size does however mean the screen is huge. I'll be honest, its not on the same level of quality as the Iphone 4s Retina display or the Samsung Galaxy SIII, but its realy nice and does look great.
The front of the phone consists of 3 soft keys "Back" - "Home screen" - "Running Apps" all of which are used constantly so its good that they are there. Also the front of the phone sports a camera for vid calls and the speakers at the top.

The back of the phone has the fantastic 8MP camera. Now HTC phones lacked a good camera for a long time, the HTC Hero was abismal (trust me i know) and several later models also lacked a decent quality camera, this has now been resolved with a very very good camera which produces some great looking images. It can also record HD video which again looks fantastic. The back of the phone also has the top removable panel which hides the Sim Card slot (NOTE - Its a Micro-Sim card so be warned). And the Beats Audio branded label at the bottom near the rear speakers.

The feel of the phone is great although it feels a little slippery to me, worries me that ill drop it.

The HTC ONE S is the middle phone of the new One series. But on the benchmark scores it comes out top, more because the big brother HTC ONE X quad core cpu doesnt work well with all apps and has had some teething problems, so if you dont need the huge phone, go for the faster One S.

I could go on and on about this but well just get it and you will not regret it one bit, my iphone has now retired and this is my daily use phone, simply outstanding.
on 9 September 2012
Pros:
Design, weight
Look and feel: nice to hold, perfect size
Snappiness: really fast, no lag
Sense IU 4.1, a nice addition to ICS 4.0.4
32GB internal memory
Very nice screen
Good camera

Cons:
Homescreen bug: ruins the experience (see comment)
Battery life is poor, not replacable
No microSD slot
Signal reception is average at best
Charger cable is ridiculously short. Come on, reduce production costs elsewhere!

Comment:
Generally a nice device, but be aware that hundreds of users, including myself, are experiencing a SERIOUS ISSUE whenever carrier signal is weak: The capacitive Home Touch Button sometimes likes to press itself. When in an app or the home screen without or with the finger near the home button it seems to spaz out as if the home button gets pressed a few quick times in succession.
Basically, you then completely loose control over your phone. Just google "HTC one S touch button issue" and you'll see many times many posts about it.
This issue has been reported to HTC by many users for several months now, but no patch or update has been released now as to address the problem. So keep this in mind if you want to purchase this device... You have been warned.
HTC, please take position and FIX THIS ISSUE! Thank you...
on 6 April 2012
I got this phone delivered today from Amazon and am loving it. It's a good bit bigger than my previous phone which was an HTC Desire, but feels just as comfortable in the hand. One reason for this is the very slim and lightweight design. The "Ceramic Metal" is wonderfully tactile. My old HTC Desire looks positively scruffy next to this!

I'm still getting used to Ice Cream Sandwich/Sense 4.0, but everything is wonderfully snappy and responsive. The speaker when playing music is very slightly tinny, but not too bad for a phone. I am delighted to discover that the stock keyboard has a "swype" option as well as the standard single letter pressing method. I was also very pleased to find that the stock browser has tabbed browsing. That was my pet peeve on the old Desire.

The camera is decent. Nice fast shutter gives clear pictures and surprisingly the flash doesn't turn everything white! While not as good as my standalone digital camera, for everyday stuff it's perfect. My poor cat is getting followed around to test it out.

I know the screen isn't as good on the S model as for the HTC One X, however since I came from the Desire it looks absolutely gorgeous to my eyes. The only real disappointment for me is like the previous review stated - you only get just under 10GB usable space rather than 16GB. I was expecting a little less than the full 16GB since I knew system files etc would take up a bit, however I'd been hoping for a little more available to the user. That said, 10GB is more than enough for me. You get 25 Gig free cloud storage with Dropbox which is great. I have signed up and everything seems to be as advertised there.

Prior to ordering this I had been also considering the HTC One X but I think this was definately the right choice for me. I have quite small hands and this fits comfortably. I think if I got the One X it might have been just slightly too big, plus the Ceramic Metal finish is just gorgeous.

One important thing I want to point out for those that don't realise it - this needs a micro sim card rather than the standard size sims. What I did was order a micro sim cutter which worked perfectly.

All in all this is a cracking phone. Am very glad I took the plunge.
on 30 May 2015
I loved my HTC Desire but wanted something with a slightly larger screen and at least 1GB of memory to allow more apps to be loaded (even making use of the SD card wasn't sufficient). After a lot of research, I found the One S and ordered an upgrade from my network but they lost that one in the delivery process and told me they'd stopped selling it! A year or so later, I found a used one at a reasonable price here. Condition was fine and with a cover, looked brand new.

Screen size is perfect without it being too big for the hand or trouser pocket. Ideal for reading e-books in bed or when traveling. The facilities are as you'd expect, the memory is more than adequate, both for RAM and longer term storage. Battery life is good, but without being able to change it, a recharger is only sensible there are plenty around that will give you one or two charges and barely make a difference to the weight of your bag or coat pocket. Speed and operation is quick enough to cope with synth/sequencer applications as well as video, music and anything else.

I just hope I can find something.as good and well-suited when the time comes to upgrade.
on 18 July 2012
I am not usually compelled to write reviews however after using this phone for a month, I feel I have to share my experience with you. To start with, I mainly use the phone for social reasons. For me, this phone is brilliant and there are 4 main reasons why:

1) ICS
2) HTC Sense
3) Camera
4) Model itself

Despite being an Apple fan, Android certainly fits my needs better. The freedom to change almost every aspect of the phone allows you to make the phone truly individual. Widgets are very useful also and on the phones super AMOLED screen, look beautiful. ICS is also very fast and responsive and the ability to switch between opened apps and deleting them is very easy. The browser is very good, especially how text resizes when you zoom in to fit the screen. You also have control over data storage, which is useful so you don't end up being charged!

HTC Sense is very useful, and I now don't see myself going away from it. Simple features make the phone so much more accessible and user friendly. The phone rings louder when in your pocket, and quietens when you pick it up. Beats audio in the phone make music sound a lot better than on other devices, but to feel the true effect, you must use Beats headphones. The ability to personalise everything from the lock screen to different skins make it very good also.

The camera is incredible. It's shoots close-ups and distant shots well and also gives you Instagram-like features built in for you to play with when taking photos. It has a good front facing camera too, which allows you to use apps like Skype well.

The phone itself is very beautiful. It's slim and very light which makes it easy to carry. Its unibody design makes it one of the best looking phones out there. The screen is huge too and this makes videos and movies a pleasure to watch. I found it awkward to hold for the first few days because of its size but once you get used to it, it's absolutely fine.

To conclude, I would recommend this phone to all users. It fits all different user requirements and is a pleasure to use on a daily basis.
on 8 April 2012
Lightweight phone, and incredibly thin compared to my old HTC Desire when it was in a case. Battery life on wifi only has been fantastic so far. Screen is bright and the phone is fast, though the screen size takes a little getting used to. Some points for new buyers to note:

* HTC have taken some familiar programs and renamed them for HTC Sense. Once bought, go through the installed apps before downloading new ones as you will likely duplicate.

* This phone is not,despite appearances, scratch-proof. On my second day of having it I managed to mark the back (permanently) twice - by having it in my pocket with my Desire. Either get a case or be prepared not to have a mint condition phone. The screen is fine though and doesn't need a protector.

* If you're not used to Ice Cream Sandwich then note that to create a folder you have to drop one icon from one of your home screens onto another - this will help if you accidentally delete the "Favorites" folder when setting up, it's easy then to recreate. You can also rename it to Favourites by tapping the title of the folder.

* A micro-SIM is required for this phone - get yours cut down or go to your phone provider's shop and get another (T-Mobile charge £10 for this if you don't buy the phone from them).

* There's no memory card slot so empty the card from your own phone and sync through your PC (/Mac) if you need to keep any files.