5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but....
170 pounds for a digital watch that looks like it costs 20 quid? Yup, but this watch is worth it. (edit: it now about 110 pounds.)

Published 19 months ago by Guybrush Threepwood

1.0 out of 5 stars simply you woul be a fool to buy it like I am a fool that bought rubbish dont be stupid and buy this worthless piece of junk
Thev so called g shock keeps the time but is by far awaste of money rubbish I am contacting amazon to return it what a wastevit is c......
Published 3 months ago by Philip hemming

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but...., 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: G-Shock Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Digital Display and Black Bracelet strap GW-M5610BC-1ER (Watch)

I was drawn to G-Shock as I love the look of retro watches. I've been wearing an F-91 "Taliban Watch" for the last 6 months since the strap on my Omega broke, and I'm too lazy to fix it (And get an extra half link put in because I got fat since I turned 21). The F-91 is like a terminator. It absolutely will not stop. But it does look a little bit weedy. I'll be honest now - I actually wanted a watch that looks like a Navy SEAL bit of kit.

So I was looking at the rubber strap versions of the 5600 series and them bam! I saw this metal bracelet version with an inverted display. I had to have it. All the reviews of the non-inverted 5610 apply to this piece, so I'll discuss what makes it different: the stealth-ninja-badassness of the strap and black face.

The Bracelet:

It's made of painted metal links alternating with resin covered metal links, and a metal clasp.

You can buy this on its own for 70 pounds, so you can see where your extra money has gone. It is easy to adjust for size, as all the links are held with spring bars that can be pushed in with a safey pin. For my eyes, the bracelet would look better if it was 1 mm or so wider, but I can live with it. I also think the bracelet makes it look more grown up than the plastic strap.

The Display:

The Inverted display is a bit difficult to read in low light. Actually it's impossible to see at all. However, the auto back light function (where the display lights up automatically when you tilt your wrist) negates any problems once you learn to gesticulate your arm to get it to light up. The solar cell around the display varies from black to silver depending on the viewing angle, which slightly spoils ths stealth vibe. Meh.

To any one in their right mind, 170 pounds should be too much to pay for a plascticy digital watch. But if you buy one you'll see where each of your pounds have gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, 2 April 2013
Spent a long time looking for an everyday knockabout / sports watch, other G Shocks in my opinion look like plastic toy watches so opted for this with namely for its black background stealth look and metal band Setting up was a doddle though I've seen shorter novels than the instructions this watch comes with. Perfect size face in my opinion, not too chunky or large in comparison to other G Shock models.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch with quirks, 8 Dec 2012
This watch ticks all the boxes. It's a classic style quartz watch with a twist, the inverted display. The display looks great and works well enough to be user friendly in everyday life. As other reviewers have pointed out, it can be difficult to read in low light conditions, but the illumination works great to allieviate this problem. †The watch wears really well, after you get the band adjusted at a watch shop. The rubberized black steel wristband is very comfortable and looks great. Although it is not a diver's double clasp lock, the clasp is sturdily built to survive a demanding lifestyle. †The watch is just about the right weight, a little heavier than your standard resin wristband g-shock, but it in a pleasant way. †All the functions work well and the solar power assures that the watch won't have have to be opened to change batteries. †This is one of the best aspects about this watch: set it and forget it. I take it to the beach, swim in the ocean, play in the sand with the little ones, go hiking, camping, fishing. No matter what you throw at this watch it can take it. And when you return to the office Monday morning, it'll look smart and your male co-workers will be envious that you found this watch before they did. †

The watch has a few downsides that I can easily live with:
No sapphire glass that would be nice to have in a £110 digital watch
Some of the function indicators are so small you'll need a loupe to see them
The manual is equally small print, get out your reading glasses, if you're over 30
If you have fat fingers the buttons might be hard to push
The auto illumination feature is quirky and takes some training, but there is always the illumination button

Overall a great watch for the money. Not as big and garrish as most g-shocks, but more of a professional look with a back-ops twist. †Before you buy, watch the excellent youtube review of this watch that points out a few quirks of 3159 module this watch is built around:†
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, is gorgeous, rather have the resin strap, 7 Dec 2013
Good watch, good legibility of negative display.
Because I have too many hair on my wrist, better with a resin strap.
The metal/ resin bracelet is nice and good looking,

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great, 26 Jan 2013
It does all the things as described. It's also simple to use. It's much, much more accurate than my £1500 Swiss watch and I can easily set the time in another Country. Brilliant..

5.0 out of 5 stars G-Shock, 23 April 2013
C. Chitty (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have the previous version of this watch, the GW-M5600BC- also on the resin/metal combo deployment strap. The only different I can gather is that the new model has slightly different colouring on the face, and is Multi-Band 6, whereas mine is 5 - so there's one more location in the world you can receive radio updates now!

The watch is smart, low key, and very durable. The composite strap looks good and is very comfortable. The watch also has a mineral crystal to give it added scratch resistance, compared to acrylic which is found on some digital watches.

The negative display is not as easy to read as a traditional LCD, but still legible, and the green backlight is good as well. It syncs every night with no problem, and if the battery indicator ever drops from 'H' for high to 'M' for medium, then a few hours on the windowsill allows the tough solar system to top up the battery. However, if worn outside of a sleeve the watch collects enough ambient light during the day on it's solar cell to keep it topped up on 'High'.

The watch does have a tilt switch, so when you lift you wrist to view it, the light comes on automatically. It does appear to know the difference between light & dark, so it doesn't do this during the day if worn outside a shirt sleeve or jumper, but conversely if it is under a sleeve, then it will keep triggering as you move about and this can wear down the battery. However, this feature can be switched off easily and the light can be activated for a couple of seconds by pressing the button.

It has the usual digital watch features as well, timer, stopwatch, 5 alarms and world time, which all function as expected.

I would not hesitate to recommend this watch. It never needs setting, and it never needs a battery - and at the current price of £87 quid, correct at the time of writing, it's a bargain. Even if you are a watch collector with a taste for high end pieces - don't forget that this Casio's daily radio updates provide an excellent accurate time reference for setting all your other watches.

5.0 out of 5 stars An iconic watch, 7 Oct 2012
Looks wonderful , a very strong suggestion of what Casio watch would Batman wear . Doesn't look cheap at all despite is a "plastic" watch - a special oops look .

I can read easy this inverted display and I love his look .

Small and big in the same time , strong personality and masculine watch especially for outdoor .

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome features, top notch bracelet!, 10 Jan 2014
Total peace of mind time keeping. Always accurate and never going to run out on you!

Positive:
The bracelet really is a work of art and adds a premium feel to these old school G-Shocks. It fits perfectly with plenty of adjustment in the links and on the clasp. The links have individual spring pins which make adjustment far easier than friction fit pins. The deployment clasp is secure but I can see the black paint getting scratched up a bit, but hey, its a G-Shock!

Solar powered.

Radio controlled time keeping. Never mind what the instructions say, mine has level 3 (top) reception in the middle of my house.

Negative:
Umm, the negative LCD display. It is slightly harder to read in most light conditions, even more so the darker it gets. However, as this is the only 56xx series with this amazing bracelet I am going to keep it.

Overall:
The stealth look comes with a slight penalty but one I am prepared to live with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, 15 Dec 2013
J Thornton (UK) - See all my reviews
Big fan of Casio watches, particularly digital and a must for me is radio controlled. A watch that is automatically corrected every day makes you wonder why you have any other sort of watch.

Radio controlled/digital display watches can be unattractive, but Casio do have some good designs and this is the best looking I have found. The other digital watch I have is the Casio GW-M850-1ER which is a more round design. I was attracted to another watch and this pressed a lot of buttons (?!) - it is squarer, has a metal strap and a dark/reverse view screen. Makes a nice change and fast becoming my favourite!

Enough functions for day-to-day use, too many can just be a pain. Also functions are easy to navigate and use. Due to dark watch screen, I do use the auto light up. Some say it runs down battery, but so far I have not found this. If it does, it only takes a quick press to switch that function off. Battery charges quickly and screen shows if it is low, medium or high. Never been off high since bought.

My only suggestion for improvement is in countdown timer - let it go past time allocated eg if 40 minutes, show +1, +2 etc after it hits zero. Useful for stoppage time in rugby! Also have on that screen the current time in top space. Both these features are on the Casio referee watch, useful additions to all watches with countdown timer.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great watch, 20 Nov 2013
I bought this watch because I needed a timer to help me remember when time delay locks at work are going to open. I spent a while deciding whether to get this watch or the cheaper model with the resin strap. I'm so glad that I got this one. It looks really smart and the negative display looks great on an all black watch. It isn't a large watch and everything about it is quite understated, so it doesn't look silly like a few G Shock watches can. A few people commented that the display isn't that easy to see but I don't agree. The backlight is a really subtle green which works perfectly at night time too. I have to admit that I thought I would love the auto illuminate function but I turned it off after a while as normal hand movements, especially when driving, seem to turn it on far too much. It's pretty easy to switch back on if I decide to. Some reviewers also mentioned that the alarm isn't very loud. They're right about this. The alarm sounds for about 10 seconds and is fairly quiet, but for me that's perfect as I can hear it at work when I need to, without it being too distracting....don't expect it to wake you up in a morning though! In summary, what's not to love? This is a smart looking watch which keeps perfect time and has a few useful functions that you will actually use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›