Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 3 October 2012
I was worried that after the genius re-wiring of the Weller muse on'22 Dreams' and 'Wake Up the Nation' this might be something of a disappointment. Another 'Heliocentric' or something. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Apart from the dreadful cover he doesn't put a beat, chord, riff, or note wrong. More listener friendly explorations into the further reaches of his musical know-how, very much of the quality of the previous two LPs, with extra dub.
Massive Weller fan, as I am, I have to give Paul a huge amount of credit for continuing to expand and explore the limits of his compositional ability and sound. This is a raw, uncompromising album and has divided fans and critics alike. It's a challenging but rewarding album if you give it time and effort. If you're expecting a "Wild Wood" or "Stanley Road", however, you may be sorely disappointed. It's a largely upbeat album, with lots of jarring guitars and attitude and combines much of the influences demonstrated in "22 Dreams" and "Wake Up The Nation" in one roller-coaster package. My favourite tracks are the extremely catchy "That Dangerous Age" and the busy, frenetic, Spanish-flavoured rock waltz, "Drifters". Not the best album Paul has ever released, by any means, but there's something about his willingness to experiment and the bang up to date sound of this album that really appeals.
on 20 March 2012
A few albums ago I was almost resigned to the fact that Paul Weller was going to be growing old gracefully and turning out consistant, but unsurprising material. Well - I was wrong - and pleasignly so - this album has certainly surprised - right from the word go. The man appears to be warming more towards the experimental days of The Style Council - but thankfully has managed to mix that with the more energetic and up-beat sounds we are used to of solo Weller - so this is really the best of both worlds. Bravo to our man for still having the drive to be inventive - long may it last!
on 1 September 2014
Weller continues to make great music and isn't afraid to experiment. The dub reggae track on here is particularly memorable. Not much for hard core Jam aficionados but Weller's way beyond that narrow genre now and has been for some time. One of our true greats.
on 26 April 2013
one of my favorite Weller albums. Some refreshing and catchy tunes to be had! A lovely companion for a long drive!
on 3 November 2013
Old style Style Council remembrance mix easy with a strong new album in which every number stands and has a different atmosphere and sound. Very, very nice ;)
on 20 November 2013
I really enjoyed sonic kicks. I liked the catchy lyrics the rasping vocals and the huge range of musical sound backing resonant of 22 dreams.
on 19 March 2013
Paul Weller at his best and bashing out the kind of sounds we have all expected and love in his own distinctive style.
on 31 January 2013
After many years of being a Weller fan I think this is the best he has ever made, it's excellent I listen to it an awful lot I have a hard copy CD I have a copy on my Kindle and my phone, Truly EXCELLENT
on 29 March 2012
Don't take any notice of the bad reviews - they are written by musical philistines - this is Paul Weller's BEST album so far - sort of an amalgamation of everything he's done before but with a couple of tabs of acid thrown into the mix - listening to the previews does not give a full picture - this is a kind of concept album - it needs to be heard on a good stereo - amazing... I wish a lot more of our established musicians would take a few risks like Weller has - its paid off big time - unique and exciting.... and very very COOL too... buy it... If this album does not win lots of awards I'm a psychedelic toadstool...
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse