5.0 out of 5 stars Totally awesome
Does what it says on the tin.. Better than any previous total war games.. Love it. The ship battles are brilliant
Published 19 months ago by KEITH

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, Bored, Let Down...
Despite the negative reviews I had read I was always going to buy this on the strength of the name - Total War. In hindsight I should have stuck with TW Rome.
Having said that, I do enjoy the naval battles on the "Play Battle" option, and the land based battles are OK.
Published 16 months ago by Blaz

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally awesome, 25 Nov 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 13 Oct 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Empire: Total War Gold Edition (Mac DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I am not normally a games player but when I do I like to have a challenge.
When I read the review from Critics Critic, who gave it 1 star I was a bit dubious but still went ahead an purchased the game.
Certainly not disapointed. The game is awesome, will probably keep me busy for months.

I have a Mac Book Pro with the basic configuration to run the game. This is more than adequate, the gameplay is smooth, the graphics excellent.
As an experiment I set the graphics at the best setting for most options and still everything worked fine.

Just check that your Mac has the correct spec, then follow the instructions for loading and registering and away you go.
Easy to follow instructions and guides while playing which can be turned off when not needed.
Dont wait, by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant on PC - Still brilliant on Mac!, 13 Oct 2012
M. G. Hall "TH Music" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Empire: Total War Gold Edition (Mac DVD) (DVD-ROM)
So, I played this on the PC a couple of years ago a couple of times... And I though it was good...

Now I can finally play it properly, which allowed me to experience the awesomeness this game has to offer! Ok, so the graphics might be slightly outdated, but the game play itself is excellent, the battles are like an epic feature film and the campaign game is frustrating, yet exciting.

Only issue is the length of time to wait between turns, this can get rather annoying.

On the whole I would give these marks.

mac suitability - 5/5 (use a mouse if possible - the trackpad works, but isn't as sleek as a mouse)
Graphics - 3/5 (2 years ago it would have been 5 - but we have moved forward)
Campaign Gameplay - 4.5/5 - It is great fun, but have to wait too much between turns.
Battle Gameplay - 5/5

This may be biased, as this is one of my all time favourite game series, but I believe this is worth the buy. I just wish they could release new total war games on mac and pc at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have Game, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Empire: Total War Gold Edition (Mac DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I am a huge fan of all the total war games, played on every single one.
However empire total war is by far the best total war game to date.

I have played it on my iMac and I have never played such a detailed, challenging and exciting game in my life. I just can't seem to get bored of the game, to much to do on it. Love the land and sea battles. Brilliant graphics.

This is defiantly a must have game!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, Bored, Let Down..., 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Empire: Total War Gold Edition (Mac DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The main problem with the campaign game (unless I have missed something) is that you need to follow a pre-determined campaign plan. You are set objectives which you need to accomplish. There seems little scope for deviating from this plan (for instance if you are required to build a fleet and then transport troops to capture an enemy city, you have to do just that, even though your troops could take a land route and capture the city. The program seems unable to cope with the fact that you have captured a city by other means. Similarly, you cannot attack factions/nations which the game plan has decided are already your allies.
The other really tedious thing is that when you end your turn, you are treated to sitting around and watching whilst every other nation (played by the computer) has its own turn. So you see lots of little men being moved around the map, ships sailing off, diplomats doing what they do etc. Perhaps this is to keep you aware of what each nation is doing? But frankly I just want to get on with the game.

I think that the developers have taken a lot from another game - Sid Meyers Civilisation. It certainly is not Total War as I know it (think Shogun and Rome). Personally, within a day or so I was actually bored by the game. Now perhaps I just haven't given it enough time, but I think the developers have really missed an opportunity, and what could have been an awesome game, following the tried and tested (and trusted) Total War format is, at best, mediocre, and at the price for the MAC version, is not money well spent.
Oh yes, one of the other reviewers wrote about the text being hard to read. Its true, it seems the text is deliberately blurred. A small point, but another little annoyance which detracts from the game.

I'll finish there before I write anything else and totally depress you. The thing is, you love Total War don't you? You know you want this game. Despite the negative reviews you still want to buy it. That's what Total War does. But this game simply does not deliver. If I could have read my own review, I would have kept my money safely tucked away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks great ... pity it doesn't work on a mac, 11 Oct 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Empire: Total War Gold Edition (Mac DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I purchased this because it said it worked on a mac.

Imagine my disappointment then when I loaded it all up only to find you can't move the characters.

Oh sure, when you click on it the area shows the movement zone, but then when you try to move the figures, then don't respond to right-clicks or anything else!

A waste of money and I am returning mine today.

Empire: Total War Gold Edition (Mac DVD)
Empire: Total War Gold Edition (Mac DVD) by Feral Interactive (Mac OS X)
Used & New from: 24.99