Those of you who've been reading my blog since last year know that Elizabeth's first book A Hidden Fire made it into my list of best reads of 2011.

It's hard to explain why her writing pushes so many right buttons for me.

Elizabeth created a smart and intoxicating paranormal mystery with romantic elements which takes you all over the world in search of ancient manuscripts containing the secrets of the immortality elixir. It introduces a classic villain, a complicated vampire hierarchy full of intrigues, favours and a strange elemental magic. It brings you gorgeous martial art teachings and strong battle sequences. At last, it gives us an enigmatic pairing of Gio and Beatrice, whose relationship has a long, complicated and stormy past, but who're undeniably deeply in love with each other.

Maybe this is why I love this series so much.

The Force of Wind is a bittersweet, tumultuous and heartbreaking read. things we expect come to pass and things we don't expect at all come to pass.

Beatrice came a long way from being a snarky girl librarian to becoming a formidable opponent and warrior.

Book #3 takes her and Gio to a secret island in China where the Council of Eight Immortals lives ruling vampires of this world. The war with Lorenzo ended with a Mexican stand off, and the Council wants to make a peaceful decision concerning the manuscript which both Gio and Lorenzo consider theirs.

B feels that the clock is ticking and she is running out of time. She trains like mad with Baojia and Tenzin, preparing her body and mind to being turned because she feels that her humanity is a constant weakness in their battle with Lorenzo and she wants to eliminate it.

"I have to say, you do smell delicious. I kind of understand why he wants to keep you."
Beatrice frowned. "Tenzin, please don't make me feel any more like dinner than I already do."
Her friend laughed long and hard. Finally, Beatrice did too. Then Tenzin reached over and stroked Beatrice's hair back from her face, and the soft look she occasionally allowed herself peeked through.
"It will be all right. Relax." Beatrice could feel the amnis start to creep across her skin as she stared at Tenzin. (taken out as a spoiler) held her hand and she allowed the soft
brush of her friend's influence in her mind. She closed her eyes and listened to the hypnotic voice.
"Meditate. Just like we practiced. Calm. Let yourself relax."
She drifted, focusing on a picture of Giovanni she held in her mind. It was the single minded look he gave her sometimes. When he was angry. When he made
love to her. When he killed for her. It was the look that told her she was the center of his world.
"I am your balance in this life," she whispered to him, even though he was not there. "In every life."
Her eyes flew open when she felt Tenzin's fangs strike.

The finale is truly brutal and shocking. In each book of this series there are losses and sacrifices making a huge impact on every character, and this book is no exception. I also love how both the main and secondary characters have many facets and are constantly growing in each book. You don't see it often these days. We finally find out about Tenzin's past and why she is so estranged from her vampire's father. We also see more of an enigmatic Baojia, a Chinese assassin training and looking after B.

This is a gorgeous book in a fantastic series and a must read for fans of Anne Rice, Elizabeth Kostova and Dan Brown.
on 15 August 2012
I wondered if this book 3 could keep me enthralled as much as 1 and 2 and boy does it ever, it's simply amazing. Even more characters are introduced that are just oozing the usual colourfulness that we've come to know from the pen of Elizabeth Hunter. This series has it all, suspense, intrigue, captivating text, wonderful characters, oozes visual stimulation and a great romance. Gio and 'B' are fully immersed in 'B's now new reality and meeting a wealth of new allies and indeed new and old enemies along the way. The pace just skips along perfectly, not too quick and not too drawn out, it really is a page turning series and I am thoroughly enjoying every word within the pages.
on 10 October 2012
This is possibly my favourite of the 4 books so far, the history, the setting of the scene, the intensity of the characters and the depth of feeling. For those closely following the story of Beatrice and Giovanni here is the satisfying and steamy events that they deserve, but of course nothing is perfect and in other aspects the story shocked and surprised me. At points my hands were shaking with emotion and the end was bittersweet to say the least. Yet again I did not predict where the story was going, the author never failing to take us to places other authors dare not to, but then wrapping it up and making it all seem like it was the only thing that could happen. Once again I am astounded at the research and knowledge that went into this book, it is well thought out and in some aspects reminds of Harry Potter in that the entire world created has a science, which is consistent and backs itself up, with things cropping up early on then explained in later books. I am in awe of Elizabeth Hunter's talent and skill, to say I loved this book is not enough.
on 3 December 2012
Very good read,couldn't put the book down,would highly recommend,to friends.Great story lines all in all a very good serious of books.
on 8 November 2012
Like most people I enjoy a bargin and downloaded the first book for free. Clever because then I HAD to buy all of the books in the series straight away so I could read them back to back; really, they were that good.
Someone did mention in their review that the words 'smirk/ed' were over used and I will add 'waist' and snorted' but do you know what? I am having trouble writing this review so I got over it and really appreciated the books for what they are, just brilliant adventures. I haven't enjoyed such a good read since Dianna Galboldon's 'Outlander' series (skipping most of the 'romantic' bits, and they were very very very good).
As you will gather; I'm not a romantic and I don't much enjoy 'bodice rippers' and I'm definately not a '50 Shader reader' so although I skipped some parts of the books the ongoing story and characters more than made up for any skipped romantic interludes.
HOLLYWOOD; if 'Twightlight' was a block buster, why not 'Elements'. Come on, start filming now!
on 26 November 2012
This series just keeps getting better and better!! Vampires at their best!!
I would recommend these books to all vampire fans. OK, so it is quite a traditional vampire story, but the background and the legend has been thoroughly researched, and powerfully recreated by this talented author. This book includes the making of a new vampire....!! I'm not saying any more, but I'm sure Elizabeth Hunter's name will soon be regularly appearing alongside vampire-writer greats such as Bram Stoker, Ann Rice, and the likes!!
I would also recommend these books to anyone who can appreciate a well written tale of emotions, adventure and history. The all-consuming empathy that the characters evoke surprised me!!
So s'pose I'm really recommending these books to all readers.........!!
I am sure that the final book in the series will not disappoint. I'm off now to discover the end of this epic story!!
on 5 June 2014
I've read the first 2 books to this third and its another winner loved everything about it characters which stand out are Giovanni and Beatrice they just pop out the page. Don't want to stop reading it really is riveting.
on 26 November 2012
After reading the first two of the elemental myseries I wondered if Book 3 would live up to my expectations. It was actually better than the first two with the introduction of new characters and a new angle to the Beatrice and Giuliano love story that threads throughout. Beatrice finally finds her father and then discovers he's mated to Tenzin, and they both turn her without Giulianos knowledge. This causes some friction but only ensures that when Lorenzo goes against the ruling that Beatrice should have the book which contains the formula, she survives to tell the tale. Overall the book sets you up for the final part of the story which I am sure will be just as good.
on 6 August 2013
Again, I finished this book in 2 days. I loved it.!

The third book in this series packs a punch. You follow Gio and B on their quest for her father and mysterious book which takes them to the far east. Where it all kicks off........and it definitely does not disappoint. I laughed and almost cried on their journey in this book - something which doesn't happen that often.

I am really rooting for these two at this point - although I have no idea as to how this story will unfold. It is a riveting read and I can not wait to see how it ends!
on 22 March 2013
These books just keep getting better and better! Honestly - I HIGHLY recommend reading them. They are so well written and I have come to love all of her characters. Even the baddies cause an emotion. I truly feel that I know them all. I want to BE them. I could not put this book down and immediately began reading it after finishing the 2nd and the 4th followed on straight away.

Seriously! Buy these books. They are some of the best written books I have read in a long time!

Thank you Elizabeth Hunter! I want more. It will never be enough!