4.0 out of 5 stars Style with substance
When I saw that this headphone had been developed in consultation with Jay-Z, I wasn't optimistic about its sound quality - Skullcandy seem to be like Beats, producing headphones with dubious celebrity tie-ins and an inflated price tag. But I decided to give them a try with an open mind - I'm glad I did.

First impressions are good - the packaging is lavish, and...
Published on 24 Sept. 2012 by S. P. Long

1.0 out of 5 stars Form over Function
Purchased these for a ten year old against my better judgement. They look nice and are cheaper than some of the alternatives but after a few months the small metal rod that pivots one of the ear phones came off. Now the sound has gone from the speaker. All this and we have only had them five months.
Published 10 months ago by B Ritchie

4.0 out of 5 stars Style with substance, 24 Sept. 2012
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

First impressions are good - the packaging is lavish, and the headphones come packed in a leather-look bag with a polishing cloth. The build quality of the phones is adequate rather than great - the overall feel is solid enough, but a bit lightweight in places, and there is a lot of flashy looking chrome trim that I suspect will wear badly. The earpads, while comfortable enough, are imitation leather rather than the real thing, so I suspect sustained listening might get a bit sweaty - that said, I had no problems in my listening sessions.

They are comfortable to wear - not too much pressure on the side of the head, and not too heavy. The cord is detachable - useful if you damage it - and includes a microphone and controls for Apple devices. So - the important bit - how do they sound?

In a nutshell - surprisingly good. The overall sound balance is excellent - there is decent, solid bass, but it doesn't overpower everything else, and the treble is vivid and detailed, but still smooth enough not to be tiring to listen to. In my first listening session, I tried a selection of high bit-rate AAC tracks on an iPod classic, and they never produced anything less than a pleasant, involving sound - from orchestral soundtrack music to progressive rock, they coped well with it all, and had me eagerly trying different tracks to hear how they would sound.

I then compared them against two competing lightweight headphones, being driven by an iPod nano - the Bose over the ear phones, which are slightly cheaper at around £100, and B&W's luxurious P5 at a substantially more expensive £250. The Skullcandys were easily better than the Bose - a much more natural sound, with stronger bass and a less glaring treble. The comparison with the B&Ws was less black and white - both sounded good, but the B&Ws did do a better job of making individual instruments discernible. That said, given the difference in price, you'd hope they would be better - that the Skullcandys largely hold their own against the much more expensive B&Ws is praise indeed.

These headphones aren't cheap, and the build quality does feel perhaps a bit flimsier than I would like for the price, but they are a genuinely good sounding headphone that will make the most of your iPod or iPhone. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 11 Dec. 2012
I love the look of these headphones extremely stylish. I had tried quite a few different makes all at a similar price, these in my opinion were not only the best looking but also easily the best sounding.
I have used these constantly over the last couple of months and they continue to delight in every way. I listen to a wide variety of music and these headphones always bring out the best, finding detail in tracks I had never heard before, sound is crisp without being to bright never overpowering even on the most bass heavy tracks.

In conclusion a product that oozes style and quality, I cannot fault these in any way highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish with a good sound, 14 Oct. 2012
antom "antom" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 headphones have a good sound quality. They are light and comfortable to wear, even for extended periods.

I've tried them with various styles of music and on a few devices and always found them very pleasant to listen to, with a good sound quality and tone. The ear pads are comfortable and do a reasonable job of sound proofing.

The headphones look good and seem well made, although they look a little delicate -- robust enough for the home or office, but I'm not sure they would stand up to travel. I wish the cord was slightly longer, so I could more easily use these with non-portable devices. Also, the cord has a mic control unit that feels a bit cheap and is prone to snag against clothing -- through the ear cups you can hear it rubbing, though this is not a major problem. Overall these are stylish headphones that sound good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for headphones? Look no further..., 10 Nov. 2012
I firstly wanted to say how much effort I put into finding the perfect pair of headphones for what I need - these definitely weren't some impulse buy, I read every single review for almost every pair of headphones on amazon, and then more on youtube and other comparison sites etc, and there are tonnes of great reviews for these on many of these sites, if you're considering getting these you should look on youtube also. I really wanted to make the right choice with these headphones and so I made a checklist of things they must have. My specific criteria that had to be met were:

1. good quality sound - after all that is their main purpose.
2. comfortable - I listen to music for hours at a time.
3. quality - I didn't want them falling apart after a few months.

I left this review for a while after I bought them so that I could talk about all three of those things and whether they turned out to be what I had hoped they would, and overall they completely surpassed my expectations.

The sound quality is perfectly balanced, in my opinion, and I listen to a very wide range of music - from drum and bass and electro house to rock and indie - it all sounds great on these headphones. While the sound would obviously be enhanced if you bought headphones more in the region of 200 pounds, these for me are just right.

They are extremely comfortable, so comfortable in fact that many nights I fall asleep listening to music on them accidentally and get up in the morning forgetting they are still on. I make my own music, and to have these is a lifesaver; I used to have to do 20 minutes then have a 10 minute break on my old pair which were a stand-in before I got a nicer pair, but now I can work for half a day with no discomfort.

Again, the quality is superb, I've had these for 3 months, (and already I can't imagine life without them!) and without cleaning or doing anything to them they still look brand new, and that's after using them at least once a day every day since I got them. The material they are made of and every last finishing touch just perfects these headphones to be the best pair on amazon by far for an all-rounder great pair of headphones - and at a great price for what you get, too, don't forget the great case as well.

All of that isn't even taking into account the great style to these headphones, many people complimented me on them, asked where I got them from etc, it was unbelievable! If you don't have a pair and you have the money for them do not hesitate, I can assure you that they will be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Love for Pure Sound. Well done, Skullcandy., 14 Aug. 2012
Having just purchased the Skullcandy Aviator Headphones it seems only fair to write a fitting review for headphones that, well, fit so well... Starting with the aesthetics.

Having received my first ever set of Skullcandy Headphones I was extremely excited - even by the packaging! Yes, the headphones are of a premium price compared to other makes of headphones on the market so you would expect the first impression to be a lasting one, but the whole presentation of the product made me smile.

The high quality packaging and sophisticated way of opening the box to reveal the headphones was an exciting experience. The headphones with their `stashable' style come neatly encased in a black zip-up pouch detailed with the Skullcandy logo. Inside the case you will then find a cleaning cloth and cable, again, both complete with mini skull motif. I was interested to see that the cable is covered in a soft shoelace-like finish and actually I think this works well other than being a stiff plastic cable, making it easier and more comfortable to wear under clothing.

Once removed from the case and easily unfolded, the Skullcandy Aviator Headphones (bought in black) look great. They have a high quality finish and the materials used make for an awesome looking product, reminiscent of aviator sunglasses that even to this day, so many people are enamoured with. Once again the Skullcandy logo is repeated on the headphones and quite adorably inside each of the ear cushions. The headphones are extremely comfortable to wear with well padded ear cushions and flexible headband. They are also comfortable to wear around the neck when not in use.

I decided that the fairest way to review the headphones was to try three different styles of music; from fast paced rock to a more mellow song that only the best headphones / speakers could truly do justice to.

I started with Rage Against The Machine's "Guerrilla Radio" to test the diversity of sound through the headphones and in-a-nutshell it sounded like Zach de la Rocha had stepped into my brain. The sound clarity is fantastic - from the bassiest parts of the song to purely lyrical definition when de la Rocha whispers, I was blown away by the way the music swam through my ears. It would take a lot to make RATM sound bad but to make me feel as moved by the song as the Aviators did, is very impressive.

I then decided to listen to Benga & Coki's "Night", a favourite dubstep track of mine which allows for pure musical production to be fully appreciated; the Aviators did not disappoint. Not recommended (for obvious reasons) but I tried the song on full volume and although a little crackly and with slight reverberations, I was still impressed by the headphones ability to handle the heaviest parts of the song. Likewise, during the song where it needed clearer sound, they certainly delivered crisp and clean musical moments.

Finally, I listened to Mumford & Sons' "Dust Bowl Dance" for the slowest, most melodic song out of my three choices. Mumford were a good choice as the talents of the multi-instrumentalists can often be overlooked however, through the headphones I could clearly make out piano, drums, guitar, banjo and possible mandolin. The song itself starts slow and gets faster but I felt nothing but excitement as the song lifted and the headphones fully embraced the sound.

Since these three songs I have listened to a huge number of tracks (played through my iPod Classic) and the only downside I can see is that the Aviator Headphones can become quite warm when wearing! That is, I have only ever worn in-ear headphones previously and therefore I assume this will just take some getting used to.

I would definitely recommend the Skullcandy Aviator Headphones to anyone who enjoys good music and understands how good music should be listened to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, bad case., 4 Sept. 2014
CHLO… CHAN (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
These headphones are excellent, I've had them for over a year and a half and have suggested and recommended them to friends.
The sound is amazing, aesthetics looks good. Quite durable.

The only two things I would say is that the metal rod in the pivot came off on one of my ears, I then hammered it back in which should have fixed the problem. But seeing as the case isn't a hard case the headphones were pushed to the limit in my bag (in its case) whilst going through security and the metal rod snapped. I got home and had to pull the leftovers of the metal rod with pliers and used a paperclip to hold my headphones together and used electrical tape to keep it in place.

I just wish that Skullcandy/RocNation had designed a more solid case for the product. I'm currently finding a replacement case. But I would still buy the headphones again.

Or get the Sennheiser Momentum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, clear an, quite simply, stunning! I'm buying more!, 17 Feb. 2014
I purchased these for my son, who is a drummer, for use with both his iPhone and his electronic MIDI kit.

I'd read reviews of these stating that they were light on bass response, quiet, and lacked definition. At a reduction in price of almost £80 I was willing to take a chance that the reviewers were wrong. Oh! How wrong they were!

These days people seem to expect an overwhelming amount of bass in there sound, especially in headphones. (I blame Dr. Dre's beats!) As someone who records music in a home studio this is unacceptable and, for my son as a drummer, it's also not a good idea.

These headphones have an outstanding frequency response (I can't find the specifications anywhere?) and whether listening to rock, classical, blues, jazz or pop they bring life to anything you'll want to listen to. The detail allows you to hear elements of the music you wouldn't hear with in ears, on ears, or over ears costing much, much more.

With their closed back design they are also very good at sound isolation, preventing any bleed of your listening to the outside world, and also very good at keeping the outside world just there, outside.

I can't speak any more highly of these. At this price they're a steal! Grab 'em while they're hot!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing sound, 2 Feb. 2014
This are super headphones with clear crisp sound and great bass. Would recommend these to anyone that needs new headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars and holy heck these are amazing! 1, 21 Feb. 2015
So I got these headphones because I couldn't wear my old once, and holy heck these are amazing!

1. They are really comfortable and I could where them all day.
2. The sound is great and so dimensional. (though in the start they sounded a little weird, but I think it was just my headphones. They sound great now!)
3. They look awesome and my friends are all like "omg they r so badass!!"

yeah. go buy them if you need headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed!, 7 Aug. 2014
To be honest, I've been the sort of person that spends £10-£15 on headphones that 'do the job' previously and, after a couple of hours of having these headphones, I'm a changed man. The sound quality is amazing, I'm hearing parts of songs that I never knew were there.

Like I say though, I have no experience with similarly priced headphones so can't say that these are better or worse than their competitors but they are bloody good.