I picked up a set of these recently as I was on the look out for a top quality set of headphones for music and video in the home. I wouldn't usually consider spending such a large amount of money on an item like this but I had a large number of vouchers so I bit the bullet; and I'm certainly glad that I did.

The sound quality is so much better than anything I've ever heard from headphones before, the bass especially is powerful and deep and the volume and range of sound is consistently impressive. One of the main reasons I went for the 'over ear' style was so that I could watch football, films and listen to music without necessarily having to hear what's on the tv in the background, and this is another area that the MixMaster impresses in as it blocks out almost all of the background noise.

The quality of the design and packaging is also worth a note because every aspect of the product really does ooze quality and you gives the entire experience an element of prestige. Perhaps it's because i've never spent even a fraction of the cost of these on headphones before but I've been really happy with every aspect of these headphones and I would, without hesitation, recommend them to anyone looking to get that bit of extra quality.
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Skull Candy Mix Master's are really something. From the presentation box to the carry case the whole experience of unwrapping and opening, before even handling the headphones themselves, let's you know that you are about to experience a product of real quality.

The headphones are relatively lightweight and both the ear pieces and headband have a layer of soft padding for comfort and are adjustable on both sides to make both the headband bigger and to rotate the ear pieces away from the ear itself (presumably in the event that someone wants to talk to you while they are on).

The sound quality is exceptionally good. I've become very used to poor quality cheap headphones over the years and I can only liken this experience to comparing an all singing, all dancing surround sound system to the tinny sound output of an LED TV. It really is another world; the deep base and full bodied sound for both music and film (through the iPad) will amaze you and, coupled with the reduction of background noise that the headphones provide, is unlikely to leave anyone disappointed.

I could not be happier with these, in fact I've tried to think of something, anything in fact to make this more of a balanced review and all I can come up with is a recommendation that when initially opening the case you take note of how they fit inside the carry case as there is some folding involved and it took me a little while to get them back in properly the first time. When headphones cost as much as this and the only downside is spending a moment to think about how to pack them away, that can't be bad.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I spent a shedload of money on a pair of Sennheiser HD650's and have never been happy with them. Always needing to tweak the EQ settings to make an engaging sound come out of them. I often found myself taking them off, wondering why I was bothering to listen, as music sounded dull.

By contrast, the experience of listening to the Skullcandy Mixmaster DJ 2.0 is entirely different. The first thing I found myself doing, on every device I plugged them into, was checking to see if my EQ settings were flat. It's the bass - the sound is so physical. Listening to film soundtracks, the sound is so... cinematic! But the bass isn't emphasised at the expense of an authentic sound. I've spent hours listening to these headphones, enjoying my favourite music, and hearing new things in the music that I know - particularly the bass - that makes me really happy that I've got them.

The whole process of ownership has been pleasant so far. They're not too heavy, the ear pads are comfortable, they feel pretty sturdy, although I'm only likely to sit here at my desk wearing them. They don't mute external sounds excessively, so you don't feel too cut off from your environment.

The packaging was very nice indeed - Skullycandy have taken a lesson from the way Apple package their products. They come with a case that feels durable and is nice to look at.

The only thing I've noticed so far, and I can't quite bring myself to see it as a downside, is that the bigger of the two cables, which screws into the headphones so is replaceable, is so heavy, particularly at the end where you plug it into your audio source, that I wonder whether in time it might break the jack socket. The cable is very nice though, being straight at the end near the headphones, and coiled at the other end, so it's flexible in length, but tidy at the same time.

Then there's the smaller cable that adjusts the volume on your iPhone or iPod, and is the perfect length.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are a cracking pair of headphones. Right from the moment you open the packaging (which although irrelevant to the day to day use, is brilliant and make you feel like you have quality product), you know you have something great.

The comfort of these cans are brilliant- by far the most comfortable I have used (I have used LOTS of headphones across the years). The sound quality is rich and across the spectrum; did feel the bass was slightly lacking, but nothing to spoil the music.

Worth mentioning the cabling- the iPhone switch is sturdy and quality- far better in fact than my Logitech UE's, which cost nearly twice as much.

Ultimately, headphones can be judged on 2 things- sound quality and comfort, and for both I give a firm 5/5. The only question will be the longevity of the product; time will tell, but for now, I recommend them.
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2013
Equipment tested on:
PC with Musical Fidelity V-DAC + Graham Slee SOLO SRG II Headphone Amp
Numark DXM06 Mixer
Galaxy S3 with MortPlayer

These are very nicely presented headphones, enclosed in a quality unique semi hard/soft casing. There's two removable cables included, one coiled cable for DJ'ing and another staight cable with a built in mic/remote that works with iDevices. You also receive a gold plated 6.3mm adapter.

The headphones themselves look great with modern stealth styling, they're mostly matte plastic which is soft to touch but seem quite robust. The ear pads are made from extremely soft pleather and nicely stitched; However, I think the stitching tends to causes slight discomfort, so can't say they're amazingly comfortable. They're circumaural (around the ear), but I found the ear pads slightly too small to fully encompass my ears.

Sound wise, I immediately noticed the upfront aggressive midrange and accentuated upper mids. Treble is slightly recessed, but the bass is actually quite good: It's deep, well pronounced and moderately controlled. It doesn't seem to interfere with the rest of frequencies, which is an issue with the Dre and Ludacis lines of the Celeb headphones. These don't offer the greatest sound-stage or imaging and instruments tend to feel somewhat congested. I wouldn't say they sound bad at all and I'm sure many will be pleased with their sound, but there are other headphones that sound alot more accurate, for example: Sennheiser HD 25 II, VMODA LP2 and Audio-Technica ATH M50, are a few I can recommend over these Skullcandy headphones. I'd also recommend checking out the well reviewed Shure SRH750DJ and Technics DH1200E-S Pro headphones. I listen to my much loved Sennheiser HD650's 90% of the time at home, but they're open-backed reference headphones and unsuitable for DJ'ing or commuting.

Considering these are marketed as a DJ headphone, I was surprised to see the isolation being so poor and would say these sound almost semi-open backed, which is a concern for those wanting to use these for DJ'ing or commuting. Sound leakage is also worse than I expected. The DJ headphones listed above provide much better isolation.

These have a unique DJ specific single side monitoring function, where when one ear cup is twisted, both left and right channels are routed to that driver that's over your ear. This is pretty cool and very useful for beat matching and cueing. The other useful feature, is the built in mute switch located on the left ear cup.

Overall, these are fairly decent headphones that I can just about recommend, but at this price, there's better headphones available.

3.5 stars.
VINE VOICEon 29 May 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My initial impression of these Over Ear Headphones is great. The box and packaging are beautifully designed which might be something to keep in mind if this is a gift. The headphones themselves come in a sturdy semi-solid case to protect them. Everything easily fits inside this case, both the cables and folding headphones. The little MIC remote control built into the straight cable is extremely useful because you can pause a track, skip a track and alter the volume really easily without having to fumble with your iPod. These headphones have been made specifically for the iPod, iphone and iPad and have been certified to meet Apple's performance standards.

The sound quality is superb and I was able to hear many notes and subtleties in my music which I hadn't heard before, creating a wonderful, musical, listening experience. Particularly, I was able to hear base notes in tracks which weren't really base driven. In tracks with a lot of base, it was booming :)

The only reason that I dropped a star was that I felt for this price point, they could have been a little more comfortable. I found them a little heavy, but i'm used to in ear-phones so I may just take a little while to get used to them.

Recommended :)
on 5 September 2013
For about 3 years ago i bought a pair of inear skullcandy headphone wich were so bad really awfull! And then after 1 year there was sale on another skullcandy headphones like 70%off so i thought why not..... and those were crap also! threw them away both felt ripped off!

Well then i was watching my favorite reviewer and he reviewd these headphones and said that they were really good! So i thought why not this time also. And damn i was suprised better then most of my AKG headphones. Well it cant beat the open K702 but with the bass it dose! Just gonna have these on the go but also tryed these with my amplifier and they are really easily driven and u get alot out with a amplifier but it's not necessary at all!Just tryed these with 2 cellphones the samsung galaxy s4 and samsung galaxy s2 works great with both beside u cant use the volume button. but the middle button works stupid iphone.....

+ Overall Sound
+easily drivern (good for cellphones)
+ memory foam
+replaceable chord
+feels solid

- not so comfortable after 3 hours

Peace //Zivler
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These headphones are the absolute best headphones i've ever used (and i've used beats, and some pro stuff too) they're comfortable to wear for extended periods, has a mute button for those moments when someone wants to speak to you. has a carry case for transport and two connection cables, one straight cable with phone controls on for volume and bits, and one longer curly cable which (and this is my favourite bit) SCREWS IN TO THEM! which means it won't come out and it even screws into the adapter for the large jacks on proper amps.

really good punchy bass levels but well balanced accross the mid-range and treble for good clarity of sound.

for me it was also the endorsement of Mixmaster Mike, which if you're of my generation will mean something... if not then trust me, dr dre just found some worthy competition for celebrity headphones.
on 9 June 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are fantastic sounding cans, with the feel of real quality. I have tried many phones and can recommend lots, but these stand apart from the crowd. For music of all genres, and watching movies, these are so involving. They're comfy too. Cable noise is minimal. And that bass... is just awesome. Never overloaded or distorted, but it brings movies alive. Wearing for extended periods is not tiresome. I wear in ear hearing aids (RIC type) that can make some phones uncomfortable to wear owing to the electronics behind the ear, and then the processing of the sound gets confused. But these bring music and movies alive again and the fit is fantastic. Deeply impressed.
on 12 June 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well packed product comes in nice presentation box. The product gives impression and feels like quality. Two leads included straight and curled both are of good quality. The headphones are lightweight and fortunately from extended listening sessions they do not fatigue the ears. Well built and very descent sound, good for all ranges of music but probably aimed at the more popular region of music. Recommended if you are looking at this style and price range of product.

See one answered question