on 25 May 2013
After a heartbreaking loss of my last hard drive and it's entire contents I was determined not to let it happen again. I shopped around a lot and decided this was the best hard drive, in my price range, for what I wanted.

I had read in reviews that the cable and connection for this hard drive was temperamental and decided to buy it anyway.

Had I known just how bad it would be I probably would have reconsidered. The connection to the main hard drive itself is feather sensitive. If you breath on this thing it'll disconnect. The SLIGHTEST movement (as in, bumping your knee lightly on your desk as you pull in your chair, or dropping a lighter on your desk) can, and usually will, cause this thing to disconnect meaning interrupted downloads, lost work, playback failure etc.

Unless this this will be connected to your home desktop and left on concrete permanent residence, I would maybe consider something else. VERY much far from portable.

Aside from that, everything else about the hard drive is fine.

Good luck!
on 15 November 2013
First impressions of the device were good. Liked how the transfer cable when not in use became part of the case when not in use and the shock protection was alright, apart from the poorly designed rubber cap that protects the USB port from damage. Its barely fits and easily comes off. I quote the "Water-tight after being submerged in meter-deep water for up to 30 minutes" even if I tried this it would fail.

Secondarily being able to transfer files uninterrupted is most desirable and this product let me down there. The company who designed the USB 3.0 type of connection must have been having a bad day and thought this would do as its terrible, streamline but far too loose meaning my connection is always tripping out and its very annoying. I would think twice about purchasing a USB 3.0 hard drive again if this type of connection causes me this much problem.

The hard drive inside does seem resilient to drops and data handling.
on 9 January 2014
As with the other reviews I was quite disappointed when I opened the box. I already have the USB 2.0 version and this 3.0 was not as good. The rubber seems to be barely staying on the case, the port plug is very difficult to get in place and I don't think this would be any protection if accidentally dropped in even just enough water to cover the device. And of course the connection to the device is very flimsy, even worse than the 2.0. But overall i found the 2.0 much better built and I believe would have a better chance standing up to the the abuse this product is said to be able to withstand. Had I known how bad it was I would not have purchased it, but I needed a hard drive in a hurry.
on 15 February 2013
Had this a few days now, seems tough and rugged, the outer rubber casing is OK, could be sealed/fitted better in places but overall good. I'd have liked the rubber cover for the USB/Power connection to seal like a grommet rather than just be a tab over it. This later model is USB3 which when dragging files to it today peaked at 105Mb/second so large files go over fast, lots of small files though do slow the speed down but this is expected with any file transfer.. Cable connects well to both HDD and PC, some say it's a little stiff, it's not the most flexible but OK. It is good how it is held in well by the molding around the case.
on 31 August 2012
Robust casing, unit working fast, good price for a 1TB unit with those spec. The only niggle is the cable which is rather unflexible...
on 3 October 2014
I have 2 of these, they are robust and I think look good. However, on 1 of mine the cable connection is really poor. I have to place something on the cable connection with the hard drive to ensure that the connection stays on. This could be a very good hard drive but is badly let down by the connection. ADAT should get this redesigned before it costs them business.
on 29 November 2013
cable wobbles a lot where it is connected to the device, the yellow rubber feels like it's only loosely worn around the plastic housing and does not feel like it makes a airtight seal around the cable port. slightly disappointed as i was so happy with my older 750gb Adata's quality I opted for this over cheaper alternatives. Having said all this it does function as it should as long I don't wiggles the cable too much.
on 29 October 2014
Constantly disconnects and reconnects due to poor USB connection. Makes reading and writing data from the drive incredibly time consuming, as it has to be done in tiny bites whilst hoping the drive won't disconnect and corrupt the data. This problem seems to be occurring for many many customers. Never going to buy anything from this company again.
on 15 March 2013
I am hard on my tecnology so I decided to go for a sturdy option.
It transfers really fast, having the cable around it is wonderful as I never have to dig for it in the bottom of my bag.
As others have said the rubber covering doesn't seem to be attached too well, but I fell off my bike with it in my bag yesterday and it seems fine. I have refrained from dropping it in water though so can't comment on that.
The usb port into the hardrive, which I assume is usb3 style, is different from standard ones so no cable sharing, but as the cable lives on it this isn't much of an issue.
Overall this has been perfect for me, but it looses a star because I keep fiddling with the loose flap of rubber by the cover to the usb port.
on 11 October 2012
No problems with the unit so far (3 months) - bought because the hi-viz would help me avoid leaving it on a desk somewhere. However, the rubber jacket is only thin and the plastic case exposed in the centre is easily flexed between thumb and forefinger. I also bought a Western Digital 1TB a month earlier together with a Nomad rugged case (£13) which is much more robust solution.

See one answered question